Russell Wilson

auburn4ever

this is just another way this coaching staff is looking to bridge the gap between recruiting classes from before they got here until their recruits are ready at every position.  QB is a marque position, and their marque recruit at that position will be a true freshman.  The previous marque recruit who would have been presumably winning the starting qb role was Rollison, and that didn't work out.  Therefore, the coaches brought in Cam, who worked out so well that...well you know.  So we have one a one year gap to fill.  I applaud the coaches effort in refusing at take a rebuilding year attitude and strive to compete for every win week in and week out.  I for one completely support that approach and am not interested in waiting for 2012 to try and compete.

I agree....

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is just another way this coaching staff is looking to bridge the gap between recruiting classes from before they got here until their recruits are ready at every position.  QB is a marque position, and their marque recruit at that position will be a true freshman.  The previous marque recruit who would have been presumably winning the starting qb role was Rollison, and that didn't work out.  Therefore, the coaches brought in Cam, who worked out so well that...well you know.  So we have one a one year gap to fill.  I applaud the coaches effort in refusing at take a rebuilding year attitude and strive to compete for every win week in and week out.  I for one completely support that approach and am not interested in waiting for 2012 to try and compete.

My thoughts exactly

You know guys, there's another highly rated QB from Arkansas that we tried to fit into that "Tebow role". He just finished his senior year as a wide receiver.

I am not at all in favor of having Kiehl be a situational Wildcat QB (which is essentially what Tebow was his freshman year). I would much prefer that he be given the reins to run the full offense, or at least most of it, even if that is in a backup capacity...kinda like DJ Shockley at UGA when he was playing behind David Greene.

This is the most reasonable stance on this subject.

Kodi should have been redshirted as a Freshman. The way he was used totally killed his confidence. We was playing musical chairs with our coordinators. No stability with our offense whatsoever. In the right setting and good coaching, it was no telling how good a QB Kodi could have been. This we will never know.

Kodi should have been redshirted as a Freshman. The way he was used totally killed his confidence. We was playing musical chairs with our coordinators. No stability with our offense whatsoever. In the right setting and good coaching, it was no telling how good a QB Kodi could have been. This we will never know.

I love Kodi, and appreciate his contributions at AU on and off the field, but he had several chances to win the starting spot, and didn't get it done.  One of the most important attributes of a great qb is mental toughness (look at what CAM had to deal with this season) through bad situations. War Eagle Kodi, good luck once the lockout ends. 

P.S. I think his potential as a wr would have been pretty high, if he was playing that position from day one, but I digress. 

Not silly. Realistic. Over the last 10 years or so every national champ but uf  lost 3 or more games the following year. Auburn will lose 4/5 games this coming season regardless of the qb. But 2012 everything will line up in Auburn's favor.

realistic or not

as a fan you shouldnt forfeit years just because of "potential" another year. and that potential may never come to fruitition

how many years after 04 did we say this? well 05 we were rebuilding...wait for 06, well 06 we were rebuilding, wait for 07....finally 08 was the "year" and we went 5-7

enough with that talk already, thats other fans and commentators influencing your opinion. CFB imo cant be predetermined so easily like many think. They say such and such is a lock every year and it never happens, they also say Auburn is middle of the road every year and that rarely happens too...

be optimistic this isnt the old regime

i dont understand the consternation about wil "x" quarterback be ready ... malzahn has always used first year starters and has had top rated offenses every year (with lesser overall talent).  whoever starts will be successful this year, next year, every year under his tutelage.

Bring Wilson in (pending the impact to team chemistry) and let the best man win based on their overall impact to the teams ability to win THIS YEAR AND ONLY THIS YEAR.  We will worry about next year, next year.  I want to win the SEC this year!

We bring in new recruits every year with the sole purpose of beating out last years new recruits.

the whole wait for 2012 thing is silly

people said that in 2009, and we ended up winning in 2010

even when we recruited Cam most people didnt expect instant success, give our coaches credit, we WILL compete next year and we will WIN more games than they are giving us credit for

as great as Cam was it was a team effort that allowed him to do the things he could. I fully expect a 9 win season minimum, these coaches have the potential.

dont forget in 2009 barring a few 4th quarter collapses we could have had 9 wins then too

Not silly. Realistic. Over the last 10 years or so every national champ but uf  lost 3 or more games the following year. Auburn will lose 4/5 games this coming season regardless of the qb. But 2012 everything will line up in Auburn's favor.

what about USC in 03 and 04? also, we were undefeated in 2004, had four first round picks and only lost two games the next year, additionally, Bama put two pretty nice seasons together during that time as well.  Maybe, those all weren't BCS title teams, but we've seen programs put together season where they are constantly competing for conference and national championships.  I don't think our players expect to loose any games.

even when we recruited Cam most people didnt expect instant success, give our coaches credit, we WILL compete next year and we will WIN more games than they are giving us credit for

as great as Cam was it was a team effort that allowed him to do the things he could. I fully expect a 9 win season minimum, these coaches have the potential.

dont forget in 2009 barring a few 4th quarter collapses we could have had 9 wins then too

We are not those other National Championship Teams. Im Not saying we are gonna repeat but I am not going by history to project our record.

We are not those other National Championship Teams. Im Not saying we are gonna repeat but I am not going by history to project our record.

history will not project it. The fact we lost 30+ players from last years team will.

The years that the Auburn Tigers won a National Championship.

1910, 1913, 1914, 1957, 1958, 1983, 1993, 2004, 2010.

There are some BRILLIANT posts in this thread, and some "not-so-brilliant"! These are examples of the first type....

Not silly. Realistic. Over the last 10 years or so every national champ but uf  lost 3 or more games the following year. Auburn will lose 4/5 games this coming season regardless of the qb. But 2012 everything will line up in Auburn's favor.

realistic or not

as a fan you shouldnt forfeit years just because of "potential" another year. and that potential may never come to fruitition

how many years after 04 did we say this? well 05 we were rebuilding...wait for 06, well 06 we were rebuilding, wait for 07....finally 08 was the "year" and we went 5-7

enough with that talk already, thats other fans and commentators influencing your opinion. CFB imo cant be predetermined so easily like many think. They say such and such is a lock every year and it never happens, they also say Auburn is middle of the road every year and that rarely happens too...

be optimistic this isnt the old regime

i dont understand the consternation about wil "x" quarterback be ready ... malzahn has always used first year starters and has had top rated offenses every year (with lesser overall talent).  whoever starts will be successful this year, next year, every year under his tutelage.

Bring Wilson in (pending the impact to team chemistry) and let the best man win based on their overall impact to the teams ability to win THIS YEAR AND ONLY THIS YEAR.  We will worry about next year, next year.  I want to win the SEC this year!

We bring in new recruits every year with the sole purpose of beating out last years new recruits.

I'll add to that... if you're one of the ones saying, "We gonna lose 4-5 games this year anyway... so what!?"... then what are you going to tell guys like Q. Carr, Neiko Thorpe, Eltoro Freeman, Brandon Mosley, A.J. Greene?? "Sorry guys! We are just gonna scrap this year, since we don't have that much experience coming back, and we're gonna try and compete for the Championship again next year!" They'd understand that... right?!? BULLCRAP!!! Those guys want to win NOW, b/c this is their last chance! Do you think they care who the starting QB is? I'm pretty sure, to a man, they'd tell you "Whoever gives us the best chance to W-I-N!" And we should all feel that way too! Whether it's Wilson, Frazier, Trotter, Moseley, or WHOEVER! This staff has proven in TWO YEARS to be one of the BEST in the country, and they didn't get there by making "bad decisions", and they WON'T make one this time either!

:wareagle:

I'll add to that... if you're one of the ones saying, "We gonna lose 4-5 games this year anyway... so what!?"... then what are you going to tell guys like Q. Carr, Neiko Thorpe, Eltoro Freeman, Brandon Mosley, A.J. Greene?? "Sorry guys! We are just gonna scrap this year, since we don't have that much experience coming back, and we're gonna try and compete for the Championship again next year!" They'd understand that... right?!? BULLCRAP!!! Those guys want to win NOW, b/c this is their last chance! Do you think they care who the starting QB is? I'm pretty sure, to a man, they'd tell you "Whoever gives us the best chance to W-I-N!" And we should all feel that way too! Whether it's Wilson, Frazier, Trotter, Moseley, or WHOEVER! This staff has proven in TWO YEARS to be one of the BEST in the country, and they didn't get there by making "bad decisions", and they WON'T make one this time either!

:wareagle:

And the congregation stood as one and said AMEN!!!!!!

... and I know for a fact that some of those seniors DJ mentioned have been very vocal that they intend to not only compete THIS SEASON, but they believe they are going to win it all again...

"Without a vision, My people will perish..."

They are not willing to accept mediocrity... why should we????????????

And they were "being realistic" when they said this by acknowledging that it is going to take a lot of work... but, that they are hungry enough to make it happen again...

... and I know for a fact that some of those seniors DJ mentioned have been very vocal that they intend to not only compete THIS SEASON, but they believe they are going to win it all again...

And they were "being realistic" when they said this by acknowledging that it is going to take a lot of work... but, that they are hungry enough to make it happen again...

This is the attitude everyone should have. I'm just having trouble looking at our schedule and deciding which game to go ahead and forfeit :dunno:

This is the attitude everyone should have. I'm just having trouble looking at our schedule and deciding which game to go ahead and forfeit :dunno:

I have no doubt that's what the players think and I hope they do. But just because some of us don't think that will happen doesn't mean we are giving up on the season or ready to forfeit games. I always come in every season and look at the schedule, roster, and other stuff and try and get in my head what I think a solid year would be. For me this year it's 8-4. However when each game week I throw away all that crap and just look at why we are gonna win that week. To me there's a difference between predicting a team's season outcome and cheering for a team's outcome. I am cheering for a perfect season but I also recognize that it's gonna be tough with all that we've lost. On the Wilson subject I love how every year this staff does what it thinks is best to win that year. So yeah bringing in wilson might not give us a steady qb situation in 2012 but if it gets us 2 more wins in 2011 then im all for it!

From the paper up here in WI

"....Meanwhile, UW coach Bret Bielema was not in attendance Tuesday. Instead, he was scheduled to be in Madison to meet with former North Carolina State quarterback Russell Wilson.

Wilson, who is a second baseman for the Colorado Rockies’ Class A affiliate in Asheville, N.C., was expected to spend Tuesday night and most of Wednesday visiting with the UW staff.

Because Wilson graduated from North Carolina Sate in four years he can transfer to any school and play immediately. He is looking to use his final season of eligibility at either UW or Auburn.

However, according to a source, UW has emerged as the leader for Wilson’s services because the Badgers suffered fewer off-season personnel losses than Auburn.

The Badgers, who run a pro-style offense, are expected to contend for the Big Ten Conference title.

Auburn, which won the BCS title last season, is not expected to repeat as Southeastern Conference West Division champions...."

Thanks everyone for responding to my posts. Felt like I was at the local tavern what with all the back and forth going on.

We'll go 9-4 in '11 with or without Wilson.

With as many guys that we lost since winning the national championship, I'd say 9-4 would be a great record. 10-3 would be better though.

Archived