Gherig Dieter WR?

Weegle777

Well, looks to me "low" star rating (2-3 star) is pretty much due to his 40 time (not so great for a receiver). But at 6'3 and 200lbs he has the size and apparently it has translated well in the camps this summer. Sounds like he can play, but we are getting pretty loaded at WR and I have to believe most remaining spots are going to go to OL, DL, and LB positions.

Whatever the coaches say is the right answer though. I think they hit a HR with Coates last year.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like he can play, but we are getting pretty loaded at WR and I have to believe most remaining spots are going to go to OL, DL, and LB positions.

This^^^^^^^^^^. Bring in those defensive recruits.  :bow:

:we:

Sounds like he can play, but we are getting pretty loaded at WR and I have to believe most remaining spots are going to go to OL, DL, and LB positions.

This^^^^^^^^^^. Bring in those defensive recruits.  :bow:

Again, how do people claim were loaded at WR?  Trovon is the only receiver around from the 2010 class.  We signed 2 last year (3 if you count Bray).  I hope we take at least 3 guys this year.  I know spots are needed for DL but we need more than 2 receivers, IMO.

A 4.57 is not fast but it is not terrible for a guy who is 6'3 and 200 lbs. and knows how to get  open.  Getting open is the main thing ask Jerry Rice. He is not a burner and he once said that being able  to create space and consistently get open is the most important tool for a wideout.  I love a guy with speed but good hands are more important. Darvin was the best example.  Besides guys who catch that well, get open, are 6'2 or taller and run 4.4 and under are Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, ect. No one expects that.

I see us offering on NSD or in jan if we miss on some others. Kid looks legit but we have a rare opportunity to take our recruiting to another level. We have to get the most out of the crystal ball that we can.

I see us offering on NSD or in jan if we miss on some others. Kid looks legit but we have a rare opportunity to take our recruiting to another level. We have to get the most out of the crystal ball that we can.

I don't see him getting an offer, but I'd expect him to be first in line for an "invited walk-on", who would get the opportunity to come in and EARN a scholarship... much like Kiehl's favorite target from Shiloh, Garrett Harper was.

I don't see him getting an offer, but I'd expect him to be first in line for an "invited walk-on", who would get the opportunity to come in and EARN a scholarship... much like Kiehl's favorite target from Shiloh, Garrett Harper was.

These two "connections" remind of the Colt McCoy/Jordan Shipley tandem.  I know Jordan's brother was highly recruited lasr year, but was Jordan an unknown like Harper and Dieter when he signed with Texas?  These two guys really remind me of Shipley though!!

These two "connections" remind of the Colt McCoy/Jordan Shipley tandem.  I know Jordan's brother was highly recruited lasr year, but was Jordan an unknown like Harper and Dieter when he signed with Texas?  These two guys really remind me of Shipley though!!

Jordan Shipley was actually a "4-star" guy out of Burnet HS in TX, pops. He was an "Army All-American" and had offers from all the "big dogs", but it was pretty much a given that he was going to sign with Texas. But I DO like the comparison, although I believe that Jordan MAY be a little better ATH.

Jordan Shipley was actually a "4-star" guy out of Burnet HS in TX, pops. He was an "Army All-American" and had offers from all the "big dogs", but it was pretty much a given that he was going to sign with Texas. But I DO like the comparison, although I believe that Jordan MAY be a little better ATH.

I agree DJ about Shipley and i believe he will be a solid pro also.

Everyone looks good in their highlight reels. His hands aren't as steady as they seem and he isn't very fast. He is, however, a hard worker and manages to create separation by using his athleticism. I don't think he will get a scholarship offer and I don't think he will come to Auburn without an offer.

Everyone looks good in their highlight reels. His hands aren't as steady as they seem and he isn't very fast. He is, however, a hard worker and manages to create separation by using his athleticism. I don't think he will get a scholarship offer and I don't think he will come to Auburn without an offer.

I havent' seen his "lowlights," but in every video I've seen (3 now) his hands are insane, and like someone else mentioned, he catches with his hands, not his body.  Every single thing this guy does reminds me of Darvin.  The way he times his jumps perfectly, the way he gets open, the way he is physical from whistle to whistle, the way he catches the ball, and even his size and speed. 

I feel like Dieter's comparison to Shipley is based on the color of their skin.  It's the ol' "he plays like Wes Welker" comparison that every short, quick receiver gets.  Shipley is a very athletic receiver/returner like Welker.  Gehrig, however, is a bigger, more physical possession receiver, much like our very own Smoove Adams.

I'm afraid that with the receivers/athletes already committed from this class and years previous, he won't get a scholly, but I'm telling you, if given the chance, he will be a teams best receiver. 

I think the superlatives can get out of hand pretty quickly around here :P He certainly seems to have some good hands, but all I thought while watching his highlights is that he has to get faster if he wants to play D1 at WR. IMO Coates was a completely different beast, he's super fast, can jump like crazy, and the only reason he wasn't highly rated was because he was from a small school. If the coaches offer him a scholly then they'll be proving some of us wrong, but I think a walkon offer is the best he's going to get. That said, enough hard work will make up for a large initial gap in talent.

Perhaps if there's a scholly to give at the end, he may end up with one, particularly with Pike in the ears of the coaches about this kid. However, IMHO think the JuCo Patterson kid would get a scholly before Dieter. (And I'm not saying that Dieter isn't going to be good - just my uneducated take on the situation).

I am guessing that Dieter will be picking up an offer or two someplace in a few weeks/months with all of this attention he is getting now.

He reminds me of Riley Cooper. Tall wide receiver that has ways of getting open

I was thinking of the Maehl kid at Oregon, or Jordy (Nelson?) from Kansas State. Arizona State also had a noteworthy possession receiver this past year. Are these comparisons too favorable to Dieter? We could use possession receivers such as those guys.

I was thinking of the Maehl kid at Oregon, or Jordy (Nelson?) from Kansas State. Arizona State also had a noteworthy possession receiver this past year. Are these comparisons too favorable to Dieter? We could use possession receivers such as those guys.

maehl is 6 ft 1 190 and ran a 4.56 so its a decent comparison

maehl is 6 ft 1 190 and ran a 4.56 so its a decent comparison

Runs faster than that in pads.

Does remind me of Cooper, but probably a step slower. However CTT has said more than once that he doesn't recruit possession receivers, so I wouldn't expect a scholarship to be forthcoming.  However with all the recent notoriety I do expect GD to pick up several nice offers in the next few months and end up at Wisconsin, NW, Purdue, Vandy, Kentucky, or Indiana and have a very good career.  There are a lot of 4 star WRs out there and everyone wants a couple of those guys right now. Funny that 2 of the 3 starting WRs last year were possession types (Burns and Adams) but they weren't actually recruited by this staff.  With their success you really never know what the current thinking is about their replacement along with Winter.  Hope we are surprised.

Does remind me of Cooper, but probably a step slower. However CTT has said more than once that he doesn't recruit possession receivers, so I wouldn't expect a scholarship to be forthcoming.  However with all the recent notoriety I do expect GD to pick up several nice offers in the next few months and end up at Wisconsin, NW, Purdue, Vandy, Kentucky, or Indiana and have a very good career.  There are a lot of 4 star WRs out there and everyone wants a couple of those guys right now. Funny that 2 of the 3 starting WRs last year were possession types (Burns and Adams) but they weren't actually recruited by this staff.  With their success you really never know what the current thinking is about their replacement along with Winter.  Hope we are surprised.

Was Taylor with Okie St. when they recruited Dez Bryant or Justin Blackmon? 

Maybe they are looking for those kind of receivers  ;)

• 1 month later...

Archived