Thoughts on AU's QB Situation

au03cobrafan

I think Trotter had excellent chemistry with Emory Blake and Trovon Reed in the game but once they were out with injury he just couldn't seem to find a go to WR and that hurt the AU offense a lot as we all saw.

I really liked the chemistry I saw with Moseley passing to Lutz and he seemed to handle pressure a little better though he did make at least one errant throw that could have been disastrous had it been picked off.  I am a bit concerned as to whether Trotter might be the better choice once we get Trovon and Blake back. 

With that said I am a bit excited about seeing Moseley get his chance and I hope he can revive this suddenly anemic offense.

What did you see from Clint to make you concerned that BT is the better choice when EB & TR return?  I think their return will greatly help CM as well.  We will find out a lot on Saturday, but I'm optimistic based on the way CM played against UF.  He looked pretty calm back there, but we haven't seen enough to know IMO.  Q made a comment on the post-game show that pretty much everyone around the program knew that CM throws the best deep ball.  I'm excited for CM.  If BT returns, I'll pull for him.

I watched the UF game again last night on the old DVR and at the start of the second half, when Clint came into the game, I heard Todd Blackledge say something interesting about Trotter.  Blackledge said that when the ESPN guys met with him earlier in the week, Trotter did not appear very confident.  He also said that Trotter had a banged up left shoulder.  Has anybody heard that Trotter was hurt?  That would certainly explain a lot to me if he is hurt.

It's also important to point out that BT has  handled the QB change with complete class.  He could've pouted on the sideline but he seemed to be very supportive of Clint. 

I know he's disappointed but he can hold his head up high because he'll always be an AU man.

I think Clint is a breath of fresh air for the offense. I'm not saying that BT hasn't hung in there for us this season but something is clearly off with his passes and he may need to step back for a while. CM completed 4 of 7 passes for 90 yds coming off the bench, granted one of those passes could have cost him big but it didn't. When he was interviewed after the game he was asked about his play and he said, "I made too many mistakes". That tells me that he won't ever settle for mediocre. I think we are going to see a poised and well prepared QB on Saturday. Go Get Em' Clint!  :aufb:

I watched the UF game again last night on the old DVR and at the start of the second half, when Clint came into the game, I heard Todd Blackledge say something interesting about Trotter.  Blackledge said that when the ESPN guys met with him earlier in the week, Trotter did not appear very confident.  He also said that Trotter had a banged up left shoulder.  Has anybody heard that Trotter was hurt?  That would certainly explain a lot to me if he is hurt.

I remember during the broadcast hearing the announcers say that Trotter had hurt his shoulder.

I remember during the broadcast hearing the announcers say that Trotter had hurt his shoulder.

I believe it got hurt in the Clemson game

We're judging Barrett vs Clint when Barrett is being judged on 6 1/2 games and Clint on only 7 pass attempts and 1/2 game of college football. Is that a fair evaluation at this point? We shall soon find out.

^^This^^

And, IMO we still shouldn't judge ANY of our QB's after Saturday's game against the best defense in the country.

We're judging Barrett vs Clint when Barrett is being judged on 6 1/2 games and Clint on only 7 pass attempts and 1/2 game of college football. Is that a fair evaluation at this point? We shall soon find out.

^^This^^

And, IMO we still shouldn't judge ANY of our QB's after Saturday's game against the best defense in the country.

I fully expect, if things go as predicted Saturday (LSU defense), this forum will be filled with Frazier cries and chants.

^^This^^

I fully expect, if things go as predicted Saturday (LSU defense), this forum will be filled with Frazier cries and chants.

Surely to goodness people know better than that, don't you think?

My thoughts on the QB situation is that:

1) we are the most lethal when Frazier is in the game. Defenses are usually on their heels because there are so many options.

2) moseley give us the best chance to win because he is not afraid. Of course he may throw a few picks and that could hurt, but BT threw picks because he was timid and held the ball to long. At least CM gives us a chance.

3) Trotter just looks scared unless he is throwing a screen or handing the ball off.

^^This^^

Surely to goodness people know better than that, don't you think?

NOPE!

I think Clint is a breath of fresh air for the offense. I'm not saying that BT hasn't hung in there for us this season but something is clearly off with his passes and he may need to step back for a while. CM completed 4 of 7 passes for 90 yds coming off the bench, granted one of those passes could have cost him big but it didn't. When he was interviewed after the game he was asked about his play and he said, "I made too many mistakes". That tells me that he won't ever settle for mediocre. I think we are going to see a poised and well prepared QB on Saturday. Go Get Em' Clint!   :aufb:

I agree. Whether it's his shoulder, a confidence issue, or a combination of the two, taking his feet off the fire for a while may help him get back to that preseason form that the coaches chose as our starter. I have a feeling he'll bounce back and be ready when his number is called.

:believe: Mosley is a winner... Trotter is a winner... Frazier is a winner... history is established...

Each has their place in contributing to this being a surprisingly good year for a team under-going a major rebuilding effort...

:believe: Mosley is a winner... Trotter is a winner... Frazier is a winner... history is established...

Each has their place in contributing to this being a surprisingly good year for a team under-going a major rebuilding effort...

A voice of reason..... :bow:

I REALLY love this!  Thanks, Walker77!  Perspective is everything!!

What did you see from Clint to make you concerned that BT is the better choice when EB & TR return?  I think their return will greatly help CM as well.  We will find out a lot on Saturday, but I'm optimistic based on the way CM played against UF.  He looked pretty calm back there, but we haven't seen enough to know IMO.  Q made a comment on the post-game show that pretty much everyone around the program knew that CM throws the best deep ball.  I'm excited for CM.  If BT returns, I'll pull for him.

Barret Trotter was a whole lot better QB when Emory Blake and Trovon Reed were healthy and he had good chemistry with them.  I agree with you as far as CM goes because we haven't seen enough to know a whole lot so my concern is that he won't have the same timing with them as BT seemed to but I think he's going to have great timing with Lutz since they were High School teammates.  It's really a wait and see but against LSU it might not be fair to judge CM or BT against this tough LSU defense.

No judgement meant by me.  I was just making an analysis about what I think may be the cause of BTs struggles and that was the loss of our two starting WRs.  I also feel that CM has excellent chemistry with Lutz but I am little concerned (and I mean a little) that he may not have the same chemistry and timing with EB and TR as BT did since he hasn't been the starter...we had some huge plays from Emory if my memory serves me right.

With that said I'm excited at the prospect of CM bringing back to life what I saw as an inept and dying offense.

Barret Trotter was a whole lot better QB when Emory Blake and Trovon Reed were healthy and he had good chemistry with them.  I agree with you as far as CM goes because we haven't seen enough to know a whole lot so my concern is that he won't have the same timing with them as BT seemed to but I think he's going to have great timing with Lutz since they were High School teammates.  It's really a wait and see but against LSU it might not be fair to judge CM or BT against this tough LSU defense.

Gotcha.  Personally, I think BT just got tight from all the pressure he was under.  Somebody used the term "pressing" to describe his play.  I don't blame it all on him.  As much as he wasn't helping the passing game, he wasn't getting a lot of help either.  CM deserves his shot, but if BT returns, his sitting a few games may make him better.  He will learn and see some things from the sideline without the pressure.

I don't care who the Q.B. throws it to as long as he is the one who is open.

They weren't high school teammates, but they do seem to have good chemistry together.

:wareagle:

Thanks...I really thought I heard that mentioned at one time...oh well I guess my streak of always being right has ended  ;)

Archived