So did the bammers achieve their goal with the Newton smear?

AUinfusion

Programs typically rise and fall in waves. I feel like we were *really* on the rise before the Newton scandal hit, and it seems like uat, among others, has been very successful in using the Newton B.S. to impact AU in recruiting, which is vital to keeping our "wave" rising. We had a really good recruiting year last year, but I still feel like we missed on a few key guys that I/we thought we could get. This year, which should be the payday year for a BCS NC team, it seems we're struggling a little bit, missing on guys we thought we could pull, and it really sounds like the biggest problem has been the NCAA specter that was almost entirely generated by people with an agenda. It makes me sick to my stomach to think that the Cam Newton smear campaign really did achieve it's goal, which was to stunt AU's rise to the top before it could solidify. So, am I over reaching here or does that sound about right?

there are a few that committed to another school due to the negative recruiting.  That said, we'll be just fine in our efforts.

You're over reaching. I can't remember the last time we had as many top prospects already on board at this time of the year, with several more lined up and a few HUGE prospects still in the fray. We'll have another Top 5 class this year, with talent from top to bottom. No worries.

there are a few that committed to another school due to the negative recruiting.  That said, we'll be just fine in our efforts.

^^THIS^^  Keep in mind that we are currently in the top 10 (mostly 8 or 9) in most services, with only 15 commits as compared to 17-23 for those above us.  If common sense prevails, those programs who negatively recruited will realize a backlash now that the truth is known.  It is very important from a recruiting standpoint that we show improvement and growth in the next four games, on both sides of the ball.  That will show these young men and their families that we do, indeed, have a quality coaching staff.  I don't look for anything major to happen until after the IB because of this, but as Bird said, we will be fine.  I still see a top five finish.

The smear campaign did cost a few prospects but it is way too premature to say it worked and stopped our rise when we have not even had one signing class since the smear campaign started. To put it in perspective, this class even dealing with the smear will be better than all but maybe one of Tubs classes. This is not getting on Tubs. It's not getting on Tubs. It's just showing how good our coaches are to deal with the smearing and get a Top 5 to Top 8 recruiting class...Also I statistically showed in a thread about a year and a half ago that it's the 3rd year after a BCS title that brings in the big recruiting benefits, not the first year after.

They really need to be concerned about their own house now, more than ever... you always sow what you reap...

you also reap what you sow ...  ;)

I just wish "the reaping" would happen already!  I know, its not nice to see others suffer, but it is the Updykes after all.  :happydance:

Programs typically rise and fall in waves. I feel like we were *really* on the rise before the Newton scandal hit, and it seems like uat, among others, has been very successful in using the Newton B.S. to impact AU in recruiting, which is vital to keeping our "wave" rising. We had a really good recruiting year last year, but I still feel like we missed on a few key guys that I/we thought we could get. This year, which should be the payday year for a BCS NC team, it seems we're struggling a little bit, missing on guys we thought we could pull, and it really sounds like the biggest problem has been the NCAA specter that was almost entirely generated by people with an agenda. It makes me sick to my stomach to think that the Cam Newton smear campaign really did achieve it's goal, which was to stunt AU's rise to the top before it could solidify. So, am I over reaching here or does that sound about right?

I think you're correct to some degree with your post.

...Also I statistically showed in a thread about a year and a half ago that it's the 3rd year after a BCS title that brings in the big recruiting benefits, not the first year after.

Next year (2013) is looking pretty darned good right now.

...Also I statistically showed in a thread about a year and a half ago that it's the 3rd year after a BCS title that brings in the big recruiting benefits, not the first year after.

Next year (2013) is looking pretty darned good right now.

Yes for AU specifically but across the board the 3rd year is the best year for most champs because thats the year that the freshmen that played a vital role in the championship run graduate.

More than recruiting I think they took away (part) of the joy of being National Champs. You can say it didn't matter but the truth is that by keeping this going it did take away from being the champ. In that aspect I think they succeeded somewhat. The good thing is that they have been exposed as liars and frauds. So next year if we can make a run whatever they try to do will not get traction. It is obvious dispite what they have tried to say that they are the ones who were fanning the flames behind the scenes.

More than recruiting I think they took away (part) of the joy of being National Champs. You can say it didn't matter but the truth is that by keeping this going it did take away from being the champ. In that aspect I think they succeeded somewhat. The good thing is that they have been exposed as liars and frauds. So next year if we can make a run whatever they try to do will not get traction. It is obvious dispite what they have tried to say that they are the ones who were fanning the flames behind the scenes.

The thing is guys only Auburn fans see and understand the smearing. The nation does not see uat or any other team pushing all the drama we faced. So in the end they really have not been exposed as liars and frauds.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a flip or two on a couple recruits we were close on. I also think that the game last week will have more influence on recruits than anything else IF we don't have a good showing the last 4 games. That is why it is so important to end the season well and to solidify the play at QB, especially for top receivers.

To the OP's question, I think in the end the truth wins out and they will have not gotten away with the smears. You can already see it happening.  As for me, I have REALLY enjoyed and will continue to enjoy the 2010 AU National Championship.

More than recruiting I think they took away (part) of the joy of being National Champs. You can say it didn't matter but the truth is that by keeping this going it did take away from being the champ. In that aspect I think they succeeded somewhat.

I can only speak for myself, but I have been enjoying the heck out of Auburn being National Champions and what makes it sweeter even now is that I still get comments from Bama fans when they see my AU National Champs tag on the front of my car.  I don't let them get to me.  They realize we are rising and it is eating at them big time!  :wedance:

The thing is guys only Auburn fans see and understand the smearing. The nation does not see uat or any other team pushing all the drama we faced. So in the end they really have not been exposed as liars and frauds.

Sad, but true.

said this many times before ... dont give a rip about other schools, what they do or how they effect me ... you own your attitude and your view of the world.  you control whether you enjoy the Auburn National championship or not.  I am still enjoying the heck out of it!

(yes, I think it has had a negative effect on recruiting but on a percentage scale, i would say 10-15% ... we will simply have to overcome it)

said this many times before ... dont give a rip about other schools, what they do or how they effect me ... you own your attitude and your view of the world.  you control whether you enjoy the Auburn National championship or not.  I am still enjoying the heck out of it!

(yes, I think it has had a negative effect on recruiting but on a percentage scale, i would say 10-15% ... we will simply have to overcome it)

Meh. I wish this discussion had not shifted away from recruiting. I started this thread with a recruiting question that I thought was interesting to ponder. I, too, could give a rip what other fans think in terms of how much I enjoyed the NC. I was just wondering how much the smear campaign worked as a negative recruiting strategy.

I just hope that in 2013 we can win it with less drama. Those tight games have *got* to be bad on the 'ol ticker.

More than recruiting I think they took away (part) of the joy of being National Champs. You can say it didn't matter but the truth is that by keeping this going it did take away from being the champ. In that aspect I think they succeeded somewhat.

I can only speak for myself, but I have been enjoying the heck out of Auburn being National Champions and what makes it sweeter even now is that I still get comments from Bama fans when they see my AU National Champs tag on the front of my car.  I don't let them get to me.  They realize we are rising and it is eating at them big time!  :wedance:

Mark me down for one fan not affected by the Updyke crap.  My portion of the national championship is untainted and unaffected.  Not one person has been successful in diminishing the CHAMPIONSHIP for me....mainly because I refuse to let them.  I could not care less what the Updykes think about my family. 

Archived