2013 2* DE Seth Roberts (Troy signee)

Big Boy Ariton AL

I heard the other day that the Jr. Seth Roberts from Ariton Alabama was talking about maybe taking a unoffical visit at the end of Jr. football reason to Auburn. He is right at the same size as Craig Sanders was when he left Ariton. It would be great to have two Ariton players banging it out the Auburn football field.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here ya go bird:

Position: Offensive Line, Running Back, Defensive Line, Punter

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 225

High School Coach: Rudy Free

High School Coach's Phone: 334-494-3594

Other Coach: 

Other Coach's Phone: 

R/L Dominance: Right

Other Sports: Weight Lifting

Years Participated: 9

Speed: 4.8 x 40 yard

Other Info:

http://app.nsr-inc.com/prospectWebsite/athleticInformation.aspx?id=183934

little on the slower side, but a speed coach could probably trim that down...craig sanders anyone?

I suspect his game speed is faster than his 40 speed. Most high school athletes, especially the ones who aren't speed demons, don't know how to run the 40. Proper form does trim tenths of a second off, but that proper form doesn't tend to work on the field so well because you generally don't run 40 yards in a straight line.

little on the slower side, but a speed coach could probably trim that down...craig sanders anyone?

I suspect his game speed is faster than his 40 speed. Most high school athletes, especially the ones who aren't speed demons, don't know how to run the 40. Proper form does trim tenths of a second off, but that proper form doesn't tend to work on the field so well because you generally don't run 40 yards in a straight line.

Plus, alot of the numbers reported on recruiting sites are a little (sometimes alot) on the generous side.  It's amazing how a few yrs ago 4.4 and 4.5 numbers were noteworthy...now if a DB or WR can't run a 4.4 or 4.5, they are considered slow.  Are we to believe everyone just got faster over the past few yrs, or have the fingers that stop the clocks gotten slower?  I had a coach in HS report my 40 time as 4.6....not a chance, prob couldn't run a 4.6 30. 

Plus, alot of the numbers reported on recruiting sites are a little (sometimes alot) on the generous side.  It's amazing how a few yrs ago 4.4 and 4.5 numbers were noteworthy...now if a DB or WR can't run a 4.4 or 4.5, they are considered slow.  Are we to believe everyone just got faster over the past few yrs, or have the fingers that stop the clocks gotten slower?  I had a coach in HS report my 40 time as 4.6....not a chance, prob couldn't run a 4.6 30. 

Yeah, seriously. I ran about a 4.8 or 4.9 in high school, and I was one of the faster players on the team. Now, I went to a small school in the middle of nowhere, but nevertheless, I've had people tell me since (after seeing me sprint) that I'm really fast. I'm not, not by football standards anyway, but people forget how fast 4.4 speed truly is. I'm always skeptical when I hear those numbers about 17 year old kids.

On Auburn's team right now, there are only a handful of players that I believe could run a true 4.40 40 in high school...and that's one of the elite teams in the fastest conference in the world we're talking about. Off hand, OMac, Reed, Bray, Mason, maybe Sammie Coates, and maybe a couple of the DBs. That's it.

I had a guy tell me one time that he ran a 3.9 40. Now, I don't know what he was tripping to think I'd buy that, but I asked him when he was planning to compete in the Olympics. Of course, when I saw through the obvious lie, he kinda sheepishly admitted that he'd actually run a 50 yard dash and just timed the last 40 yards of it (in which case it is at least plausible, though still unlikely).

Sammie had two runs timed at camp last summer that were both in the 4.3s and one was like 4.32 if I remember correctly but they were hand timed so proably a little off

Which means he probably runs about a 4.4, but maybe or maybe not a 4.4 flat. And make no mistake, that is not at all an insult to him, because with his height, that's game changer speed even if it's just a legitimate 4.47 or something, because that's blazing fast, it's just meant to emphasize how overblown the 40 yard dash has become as a measure for football speed.

Sammie had two runs timed at camp last summer that were both in the 4.3s and one was like 4.32 if I remember correctly but they were hand timed so proably a little off

Which means he probably runs about a 4.4, but maybe or maybe not a 4.4 flat. And make no mistake, that is not at all an insult to him, because with his height, that's game changer speed even if it's just a legitimate 4.47 or something, because that's blazing fast, it's just meant to emphasize how overblown the 40 yard dash has become as a measure for football speed.

Aren't most times at  camps done by technology and not by stop watches, I thought they were things of the past.  :dunno: :dunno:

You are correct. I was a 5.2 at that same size as a jr. Trimmed to a 5.0 until blown knee.

You guys are slow!  ;D Though I like to think I ran a 4.4, it was more like a 4.5. I was extremely quick, though. And being only 5'6" I always looked like I was flying. I think that 40 times are getting faster due to the fact that kids take all of this more seriously than we did. We didn't have all the camps and 7 on 7 tournaments, marketing services, training services, internet tools, etc. that they have now. We played multiple sports and really didn't decide if we wanted to play a certain sport or position until sometime in our senior year. Now kids are being recruited as freshmen and soph and are considering what sport or position they want to play much earlier. They know the landscape is more competitive so they train much harder at an earlier age.

Aren't most times at  camps done by technology and not by stop watches, I thought they were things of the past.   :dunno: :dunno:

It's iffy as to whether camps have laser timers or not, and usually the times that are on recruiting websites are reported by the player. Seems like rivals will put a check mark by a stat if it has been verified at an event they went to (or maybe if the player runs a laser timed 40 that the rivals guys are able to get hold of), but :dunno:

Most teams do a composite time with about six or seven coaches on a stop watch. They take the average of all the times. I know they did this with Sammie Coates and he averaged a 4.38 40.

He did not look have bad his Jr year when it comes to his speed on the field. Take a look at his game highlights. the first one at the top after you open up the site below. The second one I was told was his sophmore year.

http://app.nsr-inc.com/prospectWebsite/video.aspx?id=183934

I heard the other day that the Jr. Seth Roberts from Ariton Alabama was talking about maybe taking a unoffical visit at the end of Jr. football reason to Auburn. He is right at the same size as Craig Sanders was when he left Ariton. It would be great to have two Ariton players banging it out the Auburn football field.

Roberts is no Sanders.

More and more kids are doing summer training things Like Perfromance Course here in Texas. It is a summer conditioning and training program where they work on proper form when running.  How to start how soon to start standing up when running arm motion even how to hold your hands.  My son did it this summer he was only 13 at the time and his speed went from a 5.6 40 to a 5.0 40 all hand timed so may not be totally accurate but the improvement was dramatic. He is fast but wastes a lot of energy. He still has a lot of bad habits but through out the football season I could see a huge improvement. He is 5'10" and 145 pounds playing WR and DE in 8th grade.

The right training can make a huge difference. Assumimg my son continues growing he will be a solid HS football player with a chance to play at a small school in college all due to the type of training he received which many kids are starting to receive all over the country.   

Archived