2013 2* DE Seth Roberts (Troy signee)

Big Boy Ariton AL

I recall being timed by sunlight off of Stone Henge!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

I have worked track meets for many years, both in the days of hand held times, and now with FAT (fully automatic timing).  The generally accepted way to convert hand held times is to round UP to the HIGHER tenth and add .24 hundreths. Thus, a 4.41 hand held 40 yard dash would be a 4.74. This method however, is for experienced Olypmpic quality timers.  We use hand held timers for back up and I often compare their times to our FAT times.  The hand held times are usually around four-tenths of a second faster. 

I ran track in college (DIII) and usually placed in the 100 and 200 meter dashs.  My fastest 40 was 4.6 (HH) and my fastest 100 was 11.3. 

Here is an interesting take on what Usain Bolt's 40 yard time would have been diring his historic 100m world record run:

An accurate way to estimate Bolt's 40 yard dash time would be to use the 60 meter dash world record as a bench mark. The 60m WR is 6.39 seconds by Maurice Green. Bolt really started pulling away from the field around the 40-50 meter mark, so I would guess Bolt's 60m split would be about 6.35 seconds.

This means that Bolt ran the last 40 meters in 3.34 seconds or 0.0835 seconds per meter. If we assume his speed over the last 40 meters was the same as his speed between 40 yards (36.576m) and 60 meters, than his 40 yard dash time would be......drumroll please.....4.394 seconds.

Therefore if you account for the reaction times, if Usain Bolt were to run the same 4.394 second 40 yard dash at the NFL combine, they would likely clock him at somewhere between 4.00 and 4.20 seconds.

• 3 weeks later...

Big Boy is a big fan of Seth Roberts.  There's nothing wrong with a little self promotion.

Hopefully the AU coaches are getting the promotional stuff too. I don't think anyone on this site is authorized to dole out scholly's to prospective players no matter how much posters on a fan site like him. Well, maybe Bird is....probably is actually. Ha!  ;D

If I were a gambling man, I would say that Big Boy is doing some self advertising. Let's see how good of a salesman he is?  :laugh:

If I were a gambling man, I would say that Big Boy is doing some self advertising. Let's see how good of a salesman he is?   :laugh:

I was thinking the same thing.

We need Seth Roberts on the team, we need all those purple cats we can find,  like Craig Sanders they are a tough bunch.  They got that sand between their toes and peanuts in their muscles.  They are killers on special teams. 

I read that in the 1986 NFL Combine Bo Jackson recorded a 40 time of 4.21.  I also read that during his NFL playing days when a fellow player asked him how fast he really was he replied something like...As fast as I need to be.

War Eagle

I read that in the 1986 NFL Combine Bo Jackson recorded a 40 time of 4.21.  I also read that during his NFL playing days when a fellow player asked him how fast he really was he replied something like...As fast as I need to be.

War Eagle

Yeah, it's still the fastest recorded time at the Combine, but it was hand timed, so it may or may not be accurate. I absolutely believe Bo ran a legitimate 4.30, however, and at his size...well, we all know how good that guy was.

• 3 weeks later...

War Eagle

Yeah, it's still the fastest recorded time at the Combine, but it was hand timed, so it may or may not be accurate. I absolutely believe Bo ran a legitimate 4.30, however, and at his size...well, we all know how good that guy was.

I have a close friend whose father-in-law was an NFL scout during that time. He coached college for 27 years and was a scout for 15 (including the state of Alabama). He said Bo was every bit that fast, and was the most awesome looking athlete he ever saw.

You do not have to be a track star to be a  DE. The first step and the next five yards to the ball is all you need.

Good luck, Seth.  I like your self-promotion...keep it up, and you'll go far!

Truly this is not Seth or anyone in his family making the post as Big Boy. With that said I do know him and he has heard that posting are being made about him on the Auburn site. He has always been a Alabama fan and we would love to transform him into a true Auburn Fan. That way him and Craig Sanders could play one more time on the same field....

With all the post about his speed, all I can say is come see him play his SR. year and you will see what i am talking about. He will sign with a D-1 college come Feb 1 2013.

Archived