Recent 3 classes Auburn vs. Bama comparison...

BigBlueWDE

according to Rivals...

Now a couple of assumptions:

1) 2010-2012 signing class included

2) I chose Bama b/c I'm comparing us to the current BCS champ that is on top of their game. By any other metric, this is a solid comparison to determine a relative team strength. Sorry, but this isn't a LBS comparison in my mind.

3) This is with our current 15 commits and their current 27

4) This isn't accounting for departures at either school (attrition, graduation, early entry, injuries, etc.)

5) I think the difference in our high(er) attrition rate is made up in this current commitment offset and their processing program at a minimum. I could be wrong, but it seems reasonable.

This first graph is a depiction of the total number of signees over the past 3 classes by position at the two schools. I think what this shows is that there is a clear emphasis on the DB, DLine, and WR positions at Bama in these classes. This is primarily driven by their large number of Olinemen and LB in the first few classes that Saban brought in. However, almost 35% of all of their signees are WRs, DBs, or ATH - which seems really high to me. Auburn's % is closer to 25-28% (depending on how you classify some people).

Likewise, Auburn has shown a clear emphasis at the Oline and TE positions. While Auburn has signed 28% of its classes at these two positions, Bama has signed only 18% of its classes here. I think this will pay major dividends in the SEC's run-and-stop-the-run mentality as these linemen mature. Auburn has been evenly spread here too..."6-4-3" signees in "2010-2011-2012" with an average star rating of 3.5....so that's really encouraging.

All other positions are really in the noise, and considering that I didn't consider thing like Grant switching from them to us - they really don't have a tremendous "signing advantage" over us over the most recent 3 classes. I don't get people saying they have a much better Oline than us...we've clearly shown a propensity to develop the line...we just happened to graduate our starting 4 during the same year. Which takes us to quality of signee?

Total%20Commits.png

The second chart is the "average star rating" by position. Now I've created a few dif't ways to look at this, and this seems to be the most meaningful. Now, Bama has had the consistent advantage of media coverage, underhanded commitment flips over the past couple of seasons, "processing" and/or gray shirting players, etc. - so they've done everything that they can to raise this star level as much as possible. Auburn has done a commendable job keeping up the average "quality athlete" to this standard.

The only categories that Bama truly dominates are the safety/athlete positions. We've know that they've been gearing themselves to stop the spread at Auburn though, so this makes sense. They have a slight advantage at LB and RB...we have all discussed our inability to sign the tier-one level LBers recently - which will change now that Van Gorder is on board. Furthermore, take the RB with a grain of salt since Dee Hart was injured and Corey Grant transferred to us (of course, Dyer departed - so still a wash probably).

Our big advantage is the QB position, and it would be even more pronounced had Zeke not lost the 4th star. We've kept up or exceeded (in terms of quality) at the Dline, WR, TE, Oline, and K positions. We may have signed less at some positions (Dline and WR), but the quality was just as good.

Star%20Rating.png

Bottom line: no matter what happens tomorrow, the Bama spin machine will be out in full force. They can claim 3, 4, 5 whatever recruiting national championships, but Auburn has consistently recruited as talented players over the past 3 years....and anybody we get tomorrow will just be gravy compared to our already commendable effort in that regard.

First time to post on "ANY" board.  Am old ol that actually went to AU and was a walk on in well lets just say back yunder.  I will say that Captain Cruch (Mike Kolan) helped  me decide to watch the games on Saturdays.  I have enjoyed keeping up with Au on the AE and will never go back to al.com.

The comparison of our last three years to UAT is spot on.  They may always get the press but AU is right up there with them in every way.  Being an old Ol I will say that has been my concern the last two years.  We must remember that we have signed some very good young OL.  Having said that at least three have been given medical hardships.  It remains to be seen if the kid from Miss. ever plays again. (his name slips my mind right now)  My prayer is he finishes chemo and can but we will see.  Second remember we had four OL on the NC team that had played together since they were freshmen.  I really feel if our OL jells this year and they can become "Beasts" with the skill players we have signed we should dominate.  Maybe not early but certtainly by mid-season.

The comparison was great and everyone needs to read and then enjoy NSD.  War Eagle!!

Not a techy so if someone can give directions on icons I'll be fancy next time.

First time to post on "ANY" board.  Am old ol that actually went to AU and was a walk on in well lets just say back yunder.  I will say that Captain Cruch (Mike Kolan) helped  me decide to watch the games on Saturdays.  I have enjoyed keeping up with Au on the AE and will never go back to al.com.

The comparison of our last three years to UAT is spot on.  They may always get the press but AU is right up there with them in every way.  Being an old Ol I will say that has been my concern the last two years.  We must remember that we have signed some very good young OL.  Having said that at least three have been given medical hardships.  It remains to be seen if the kid from Miss. ever plays again. (his name slips my mind right now)  My prayer is he finishes chemo and can but we will see.  Second remember we had four OL on the NC team that had played together since they were freshmen.  I really feel if our OL jells this year and they can become "Beasts" with the skill players we have signed we should dominate.  Maybe not early but certtainly by mid-season.

The comparison was great and everyone needs to read and then enjoy NSD.  War Eagle!!

I think the guy you're thinking of is Shon Colemn

Thank you.  Showing my age here.  Remember he was a 5*.  Others on MH were 4*'s so we have signed some very good OL.  They are just very young and most of the time they redshirt the first year.  We don't have time for that, we need them now.  Not many OL classes are like our NC group.  They arrived on campus as full grown men. :-))

Our 2010 and 2011 classes were right on par with Alabama's.  If you made me choose which one was better, I'd honestly give a slight edge to Auburn because of strength on the OL and DL.  However, barring any big changes, Alabama's 2012 recruiting class will be significantly better than ours.  I agree that we will be fine and the sky is not falling, but it is discouraging that we seemed to take a step back in recruiting this year after 2 great years.

Welcome Jumbo, and yes, AE is where it's at! WDE.

Our 2010 and 2011 classes were right on par with Alabama's.  If you made me choose which one was better, I'd honestly give a slight edge to Auburn because of strength on the OL and DL.  However, barring any big changes, Alabama's 2012 recruiting class will be significantly better than ours.  I agree that we will be fine and the sky is not falling, but it is discouraging that we seemed to take a step back in recruiting this year after 2 great years.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we end up being right there with them, even if we don't have as many five star players.

Great post.  I had to laugh when I saw the average stars for ua kickers vs AU kickers.  Our kicking tandem was one of the best in the nation, the other folks kicker should have cost them a chance at a BCS Championship Game. Maybe the other guys were just saving the highly rated kickers for next year.

We have enough talent and now some experienced depth. Just have to get the guys "coached up" to win on the field(s).

This is correct.  When I see Anthony Swain looking like -- sorry to say it -- Donta'e Hightower, I'll know we're doing everything we need to be doing.  And when Jermaine Whitehead is terrorizing opponents, surrounded by a slew of similarly scary DBs, we'll have some confirmation.

Right now, we have a lot of promise.  We'll see what develops with this class.  :wareagle:

This is true.  spuat's 2009 class was also significantly better than ours as well. So we hung with them with 2 of the past 4 classes. What is concerning is that our trend has been on the uptick since 2009 before this one and spuat is off to as good a start for next year's class as this one they are signing today.  We (our coaches) need to step it up.

wde

Archived