Miami Hurricanes in The SEC?

El Tiburon

Hey guys, I was talking to my dad, who’s a die-hard UM fan and graduate, and we were debating how some of the great Miami teams of old would fair in the SEC today. I tend to be of the opinion that Miami would still do very well, but I am biased because both my parents graduated from UM and I grew up going to the games. I always root for Miami so long as their interest don’t conflict with Auburn’s. I’m rambling so let me open the debate with this; how do you think the 2001 Miami Hurricanes would have faired in the SEC West last season? I think they would be too fasts for Alabama & LSU and would win the NC. What do you guys think? 

Miami Roster: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team

The most talent I've ever seen on a football team. They would have won it all even playing in the SEC west, in my opinion. :dunno:

I think they would have done pretty well with that team... but they wouldn't have gone undefeated.  I think adding another team like that would have caused extreme choas.  I know that Nebraska team had a pretty stinkin' good defense, but not as good as LSU's and Alabama's were last year.  I honestly believe it would have been a situation where adding them creates a 3 way tie at the top, or LSU wins it out right.  LSU was simply amazing in the regular season last year.  And I don't think Miami would have been faster than Oregon was.  Bigger, yes.  Faster, no.

There's a lot to say about playing really good teams back to cakc to back.  That Miami team wouldn't have survived any combo of Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia.  Not because they're not good, but because the competition is THAT good.

This past season 2001 UM would have ripped a new one in the SEC or any other conference for that matter. Last season was pretty void of Junior/Senior elite talent. Just look at the draft. It is of my opinion that there are only 8-10 true 1st round picks. LSU and Bama had BY FAR the most talented teams but neither of them are playing for a championship with 2001 UM in the conference. 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009, and 2010 would make for a few intersting matchups with that team given the strength of the SEC as a whole these years.

This past season 2001 UM would have ripped a new one in the SEC or any other conference for that matter. Last season was pretty void of Junior/Senior elite talent. Just look at the draft. It is of my opinion that there are only 8-10 true 1st round picks. LSU and Bama had BY FAR the most talented teams but neither of them are playing for a championship with 2001 UM in the conference. 2004, 2006, 2007, 2009, and 2010 would make for a few intersting matchups with that team given the strength of the SEC as a whole these years.

That Miami team loses 2 that season:

Auburn

LSU

Auburn

LSU

I agree. and I think it would have been fun to see them play TN and GA that year

Auburn

LSU

I agree. and I think it would have been fun to see them play TN and GA that year

OO I forgot about Georgia and Tennessee that year.  Both were top 10 teams

That 2001 UM team would've been the only team to beat AU in 2010

Good Post!

I think that team could beat some bad NFL teams.

Nope.  I remember when they said the same thing about USC in 2005.  That USC team couldn't even win the national championship.  The only sport where a college team would stand a chance against a major league team is baseball... and that's because there are so many variables.

Nope.  I remember when they said the same thing about USC in 2005.  That USC team couldn't even win the national championship.  The only sport where a college team would stand a chance against a major league team is baseball... and that's because there are so many variables.

I'm willing to bet that the Kentucky Wildcats basketball team could beat the Charlotte Bobcats 8/10 times.

At the same time, they did have 13 first rounders.

Now we know how this was possible....cough...Nevin Shapiro....cough, cough. 

I was thinking about this the other day, the last 2 or 3 teams that have stockpiled talent and made a great 3-5 yr run (Miami, Southern Cal, and Ohio State) all had one thing in common and ended up with similar fates.  When your local Updyke starts bragging about their NFL draft prowess, be sure to mention this. 

At the same time, they did have 13 first rounders.

Now we know how this was possible....cough...Nevin Shapiro....cough, cough. 

I was thinking about this the other day, the last 2 or 3 teams that have stockpiled talent and made a great 3-5 yr run (Miami, Southern Cal, and Ohio State) all had one thing in common and ended up with similar fates.  When your local Updyke starts bragging about their NFL draft prowess, be sure to mention this. 

I prefer to bring up '04 with 3 in the top 10 and 4 in the first round  :wedance:    Its their best draft ever.......and yet again falls short of AU!

Well think about this all of those first rounders except Mcgahee and Mike Rumph are probowlers! That means 11 of the 13 first rounders were probowlers, and Portis and Gore have gone to the pro bowl. So they had 13 future pro bowl veterans on their team.

Wow I forgot how stacked that UM team was. Check out the scores from that season--they only played two games that were somewhat close judging by margin of victory alone. Scary good.

Archived