Auburn vs. Illinois

Teefield

Just heard Jim Dunaway say we're playing Illinois in Chicago this coming season. I think he said Dec. 29. Even if they've struggled recently, that's a pretty big name team to get excited about on the schedule.

Looks like coach wants to play a few games in the big metro areas where the bulk of the basketball talent is.  Expect we will take beat-down but might help recruiting in coming years.

illinois is not a great team by any means. they went 6-12 in the big 10 last year and had their best player leave early.

illinois is not a great team by any means. they went 6-12 in the big 10 last year and had their best player leave early.

Didn't they beat tOSU last year?

And now we're going to play in the Charleston Classic in November with the likes of Baylor, Dayton, St. John's and some others.

I love this. We're getting some top talent in the program to mix in with veterans like Sullivan and Chubb, and Barbee isn't babying them. I love being aggressive and scheduling games against top competition. We're gonna have our fair share of losses in these games next year, but it can do nothing but help a fairly young team as it prepares for conference play and the coming seasons.

Kudos to Barbee for scheduling like this.

Illinois started the season great including a win over tOSU. They imploded the last half of the season, which was more of a sign to the end of the Bruce Webber era than anything else. Illinois is a great basketball program, definitely top 10-15 all time. Getting a game against them in Chicago is pretty huge IMO.

agree....Big 10 has a good name in BB and it's not like we are sending our young team out against the best in the league.  A good recruiting move and a solid game to test the team.

Archived