Eguae or Ford

El Tiburon

I'll bet they both start at some point.

This^

I may be going against the grain, but I think Ford will start more that Eguae, but both are looking great.

I think who starts is kind of an irrelevant question since they will split time a lot with Eguae playing the run more and Ford being in on passing situations. Not to say that they can only do those things, but that is what they are each best at.

It's true that Eguae tends to do better against the run and Ford the pass, but that doesn't mean its not an important question.

I believe both will start at some point, but Eguae will probably start more games if I had to guess. Both will be good and see the field often and I wouldn't be surprised if Dee Ford had some of the best d stats on the team by the end of the season.

Both. I think platooning will make both better players. They both have good talent. If Ford stays healthy, it will be fun to watch him. He has a great personality too.

Dee Ford. Apparently, he made huge strides in spring camp.  Don't think Eguae can jump Ford in fall practice.  BVG really likes this guy and his ability to get to the QB.  No disrespect to Nosa, but it's Dee's time to shine.

:we:

I think Eguae's experience gives him the edge.  Of course, this may change over the course of the season.  The great thing is there's plenty of opportunities for both of them.

I think who starts is kind of an irrelevant question since they will split time a lot with Eguae playing the run more and Ford being in on passing situations. Not to say that they can only do those things, but that is what they are each best at.

^^^ I agree with this 100%!!!!! :we:

This is a good idea for a discussion. I think the general belief before spring was that Ford was always the better pass rusher, but maybe weaker against the run. Now, he has gained weight, so it could just be that he has blossomed into a super star defensive end. Equae has been a solid run stopper, but his pass rushing last year left something to be desired IMO. It may have been that in Roof's scheme the strong side end was purely a run stopper, but regardless we needed more pressure from him. The general impression I've gotten from VG's scheme so far is that for the d-line, every down is a qb rushing down. If that's the case, then you want the guy that puts the most pressure on the QB every play. That man is Dee Ford. Now, it's certainly possible that VG still switches out D ends according to the situation, but so far it seems that on every down we want pressure.

My vote goes to Ford, with Equae playing plenty, in rushing situations.

This is a good idea for a discussion. I think the general belief before spring was that Ford was always the better pass rusher, but maybe weaker against the run. Now, he has gained weight, so it could just be that he has blossomed into a super star defensive end. Equae has been a solid run stopper, but his pass rushing last year left something to be desired IMO. It may have been that in Roof's scheme the strong side end was purely a run stopper, but regardless we needed more pressure from him. The general impression I've gotten from VG's scheme so far is that for the d-line, every down is a qb rushing down. If that's the case, then you want the guy that puts the most pressure on the QB every play. That man is Dee Ford. Now, it's certainly possible that VG still switches out D ends according to the situation, but so far it seems that on every down we want pressure.

My vote goes to Ford, with Equae playing plenty, in rushing situations.

Exactly! I have also heard from several people that Ford put on a ton of good weight, which would mkae him a better runstopper.

as long as they are both productive, eguae will get the starts - as a senior should.  they will play an equivalent amount of snaps.  wouldnt surprise me if eguae/ford paired up on running downs and ford/CL on passing downs.

the same thing will happen with O-Mac ... he will get all of the starts, but wont play many/any more snaps than the other RB's.

Dee Ford. He tore it slap up in the spring.

Dee Ford. He tore it slap up in the spring.

Ford is hungry. If not for the injury last year, he would've won the position from NE.

as long as they are both productive, eguae will get the starts - as a senior should.  they will play an equivalent amount of snaps.  wouldnt surprise me if eguae/ford paired up on running downs and ford/CL on passing downs.

the same thing will happen with O-Mac ... he will get all of the starts, but wont play many/any more snaps than the other RB's.

Eguae is a RS Jr just like Ford. I think Ford get's the starting nod but both will get plenty of snaps.

In answer to your question, I would say Ford gets the nod as of now. The reality is that we will have 4 to 6 starting level DEs rotating, thus keeping the 2 on the field as close to 100% as possible. This is going to flat out wear down an opposing OL because we will also be doing the same thing at DT.  Any OL that cant match up with the talent level of our depth will get rolled by the 3rd or 4th quarter.

We just need to start our best 11 d-linemen and be done with it. Best defense ever!

Which ever learns to keep outside containment and play with there head up.  I am tired of our DE's running by the play or letting our opponents break containment.

We need the four most disruptive guys starting on the D line. Period. I don't care if that means playing an inside guy on the outside or DE's in the interior. Just my two cents.

Archived