2014 4* LB Shaun Dion Hamilton (Alabama signee)

Guest EagleDamnWar

Just wondering...has anyone here ever actually seen this kid play? I don't mean highlight reels...ever actually seen him play live?

Yes. Carver was on tv a few times last season.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering...has anyone here ever actually seen this kid play? I don't mean highlight reels...ever actually seen him play live?

Yes.

Some high profile recruits enjoy letting the recruiting process stretch out all the way until National Signing Day. For Carver-Montgomery linebackerShaun Dion Hamilton, a 6-foot-1, 230-pound defender rated as a consensus 4-star prospect, that timeline doesn't seem to sound very appealing.

Hamilton has set plans to make his college decision on April 17, opting to get the recruiting process out of the way early so he can focus on his senior season at Carver. While Hamilton holds over 20 scholarship offers, three schools have made their way to the top of his list: Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee. Hamilton has already visited all three schools, most recently paying a visit to Alabama to take in one of the Tide's spring practice sessions.

"We watched spring practice, watched the players, watched them preparing to win another national championship," Hamilton said. "It was cool to see the coaches working with the players from close up."

"I talked to Coach [Nick] Saban after practice and Coach [Kirby] Smart as well. Coach Smart told me all about the different drills they were doing and the details of some of the stuff they work on everyday. He also explained to me that there are going to be holes to fill on their depth chart when their senior linebackers leave so the chance for early playing time will be there."

"Coach Saban also talked a lot about the opportunities there could be for me at Alabama and he also said that he thinks I fit into their system really well. He thinks I'm a smart player and he likes my character and my attitude. People think the players at Alabama don't have any fun but he said a lot of fun comes along with winning championships."

Hamilton said he often hears others assume that Auburn is his most likely college destination thanks in part to the recent signing of Hamilton's friend and teammate Jeremy Johnson. But Hamilton said that while the Tigers remain a strong possibility for him, his relationship with Johnson will not influence his decision.

"A lot of people see that some of my friends are going to Auburn but it's not really all about going to school with your friends and having a good time. This is an important decision that will impact the rest of my life and I'll make new friends wherever I go to school. That's not going to play a role in my decision."

"I do like a lot about Auburn. They have a good young coaching staff, and they are changing a lot of things throughout the program. I have really gotten along well with them so far."

Hamilton said he plans on attending one of the Tigers' spring practice sessions next week.

Tennessee also remains a strong contender for Hamilton's signature after a recent visit to Knoxville that wowed the four-star linebacker.

"Coach [butch] Jones is really going to turn that program around, whether I'm there or not. He's got a great plan and I really think he's going to do well there. I also had a relationship with Coach Thigpen when he was at Auburn. My parents really liked him as well. You can see why a lot of top recruits are picking Tennessee right now."

While Hamilton has seen individual things at each school that have impressed him, he said his ultimate decision will come down to a handful of basic factors.

"It's all really going to come down to playing time, my relationship with the coaches, the kind of education I can get, and what I think is best for my family."

Check out the video below for highlights from Hamilton's junior season at Carver-Montgomery.

Matt Scalici

Interesting comment from a bammer on that article:

Ripley Riptide

"saban slow played hamilton until it appeared he was getting ready to pledge to au. saban didn't offer hamilton until a month or so ago. hamilton was mad bama didnt offer early, because grew up a bama fan. bama has really turned up the heat now, but i would say its 50-50 right now. au has done a good job recruiting him and showed they really wanted him from the start. bama is loaded at lb and i think saban is more looking to prevent au from getting him than anything."

Ripley Riptide

"saban slow played hamilton until it appeared he was getting ready to pledge to au. saban didn't offer hamilton until a month or so ago. hamilton was mad bama didnt offer early, because grew up a bama fan. bama has really turned up the heat now, but i would say its 50-50 right now. au has done a good job recruiting him and showed they really wanted him from the start. bama is loaded at lb and i think saban is more looking to prevent au from getting him than anything."

As usual bammers dont know what they are talking about. I am pretty sure I have read articles in the past where this kid has admitted to growing up an Auburn fan

I dont know why everyone thinks Tennessee is having such a great recruiting class either. Yes they already have 7 or 8 commitments but only two or three of those recruits were highly coveted by other major schools. I dont want Auburn to get a bunch of commitments just to have a bunch of commitments

I can't believe these kids. They all act like jilted little girls if they don't get lil nick's "love". :puke: It will be an even longer summer if we miss on him.

I dont know why everyone thinks Tennessee is having such a great recruiting class either. Yes they already have 7 or 8 commitments but only two or three of those recruits were highly coveted by other major schools. I dont want Auburn to get a bunch of commitments just to have a bunch of commitments

I would be please to have the top half of their recruiting class at Auburn. Their class is solid so far. If they keep their current rate up they will have a top 12 class.

Ripley Riptide

As usual bammers dont know what they are talking about. I am pretty sure I have read articles in the past where this kid has admitted to growing up an Auburn fan

I'm not sure if they'll have a great class, but these recruits were tweeting each other back forth (I remember one specifically from SDH to B.Taylor) saying how much fun they had and how they should check Tenn out. They've changed some things up there.

Ripley Riptide

Jalen Hurd say's hello.

Re: my earlier question about anyone seeing this kid play...for those who did see him play, what was your impression? I saw him once when they played Prattville. I don't doubt he has all the measurables and stats to make him great. He just did not stand out when I saw him play. Perhaps an 'off' game or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Thanks.

Re: my earlier question about anyone seeing this kid play...for those who did see him play, what was your impression? I saw him once when they played Prattville. I don't doubt he has all the measurables and stats to make him great. He just did not stand out when I saw him play. Perhaps an 'off' game or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Thanks.

Probably did not notice him because of the bear down Jeremy Johnson and Carver's offense was gibing my Prattville Lions.

Probably did not notice him because of the bear down Jeremy Johnson and Carver's offense was gibing my Prattville Lions.

I hope we sign SDH so he can gib the turds and leg humpers a serious bear down!!! :P

Justin Hokanson ‏@JHokanson4m

#Rivals250 LB Shaun Dion Hamilton, teammate Draequon Murphy visiting #Auburn this week, Hamilton again this weekend

Shaun Dion Hamilton ‏@_sdh77m

I will be in Auburn on Wednesday for spring practice

Lemme call my guy Lashlee

Was spotted at practice this morning with teammate Draequan Murphy and a WR from Carver. Anyone else besides me think we could get SDH's commitment soon?

Was spotted at practice this morning with teammate Draequan Murphy and a WR from Carver. Anyone else besides me think we could get SDH's commitment soon?

April 17th

April 17th

I couldn't remember if it was April or May. Either way I think it will be good news.

I do hope this young man commits to AU, but you know that's not going to stop other teams from recruiting him, especially that team in West Vance. I wouldn't be surprised if Saban somehow just happened to be at Hamilton's high school one day and would happen to "bump" into him between classes.

I do hope this young man commits to AU, but you know that's not going to stop other teams from recruiting him, especially that team in West Vance. I wouldn't be surprised if Saban somehow just happened to be at Hamilton's high school one day and would happen to "bump" into him between classes.

With a set of car keys....

With a set of car keys....

Hope not.

Really like the fact he is an EE. Auburn needs to start bringing in more guys early when they can. TBH the team that scares me the most is Tennessee. I think it will either be us or the Vols

Really like the fact he is an EE. Auburn needs to start bringing in more guys early when they can. TBH the team that scares me the most is Tennessee. I think it will either be us or the Vols

Agree...agree...agree...agree.

Agree...agree...agree...agree.

On him being an EE. It was impressive how many EE's UGA got in their last class.

Archived