What was the first year

auburn4ever

9/10/77 vs. Arizona - My freshman year.  Never stepped on foot of Auburn campus prior to going to school there, and never knew anything about the Auburn / Alabama rivalry, though it didn't take me long to learn.

:wareagle:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Au vs. Houston 1st game of the 64' season.  Auburn won in a blowout, but the game was note worthy because Jimmy Sidle suffered a shoulder injury which ruined his career. ( He had been picked as a preseason All-American).

First game = 1977, AU vs. So. Miss.  The good guys (AU) lost, but it was awesome to watch Joe Cribs, William Andrews, and James Brooks run the ball with authority.  I will always view them as one of the best backfields in AU history even though there have been better backs with better stats since.   I may be remembering wrong, but I believe they shared carries - much like I expect this year.  I can't remember if John Crane or Charlie Trotman started that game at QB or not.  

I sat with my mom and dad in the new upper deck (at least I remember it being newish), section 50, and my mom still has season tickets in the same section (she's 71 now).  I had the ticket stub until several years ago when my wife (Bama Alum) asked me to throw it and a bunch of other old memorabilia away, (She did not do it with malice...  I am a hoarder and she is not).  

I went to many games in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s, but joined the military after graduating in the mid-90s and have not been close enough to attend a game since.  I watch every one on TV when I get a chance.  Funny thing...  AU always wins when I am not able to watch.

The first game I remember is the '85 AU-FSU game.  I was 4.  I remember doing the "Chop" thinking that it was an Auburn cheer, but my dad quickly corrected me.  I went to games in 84 as well, but my dad can't remember which one, so I will go with the one I remember.

1969 Iron Bowl at Legion Field.....Connie Frederick ran the fake punt for a TD.....made the score AU 48 - AL 26....Auburn fans screaming for Coach Jordan to go for 2 to make it 50.   Being the gentleman that he was - we kicked the extra point making the final score 49-26.....

WDE

:zapbama:    :zapbama:This was also my first time to see the Tigers.My second was the 70 iron bowl.Both great games.I remember Fredrick on the fake punt.If i am right,Shug called for a punt,No.87(believe that was fredricks no.) took it upon himself to run the ball.I loved it.I hated bama as much then as I do today.

1969 as a 17 year old freshman. Dad was in the Navy had moved from Virginia to California before my senior year in High School California was not a great place in 1969 to be a military brat even in San Diego it was the height of the Anti-War movement. A friend from Quantico HS in Virginia(where I moved from) a year ahead of me sent me a letter telling me to come to Auburn. I had been accepted at Penn State and had never been to Alabama.

Based on that letter I came to Auburn. After getting here I was pretty sure I had made a good choice after first game I was sure I had made a good choice.

The Sullivan/Beasley era was just starting.

Auburn Crushed Wake Forest

I also learned about Cowboy boots and flasks for carrying in Jack Daniels. I know I said I was 17.

Miss.St. Sullivan only played first half at Legion Field.Auburn tried to hold the score down,Shug always the took the high road.

Ok you young whippersnappers you forced me into this.  September 29, 1957, Sheilds/Watkins Field, Knoxville,

TN,  Auburn 7, Tennessee 0, think I gotcha here Golf !!

:thumbsup:

1969 Iron Bowl at Legion Field.....Connie Frederick ran the fake punt for a TD.....made the score AU 48 - AL 26....Auburn fans screaming for Coach Jordan to go for 2 to make it 50.   Being the gentleman that he was - we kicked the extra point making the final score 49-26.....

WDE

:zapbama:    :zapbama:

What great memories from THAT game right ? That was my Senior year and I was the guy along with my 2 buddies that made a huge banner out of a king size white bed sheet attached to two 8' poles. We wrote the words on it in red paint with giant letters and carried it up and down by the railing every time we scored. The Auburn side went wild and it was big enough that when we pointed it at the Bammers they could see it and it made them BOOO. HAHA, we loved it. You might remember it. The banner read,

" IF YOU CAN'T GO TO HELL "

" GO TO 'BAMA " 

Ok you young whippersnappers you forced me into this.  September 29, 1957, Sheilds/Watkins Field, Knoxville,

TN,  Auburn 7, Tennessee 0, think I gotcha here Golf !!

:thumbsup:

by a hair slammer. That was a great game anf Auburn defense at its best

2003, Auburn vs. Tennessee 28-21. I was in the 8th grade. I was so happy and excited when they ran out onto the field that I shed a few tears. I just love it.

'93 AU vs turds. I was 8 years old and still vividly remember Patrick Nix to Frank Sanders right in front of me. One of my best sports memories evvvaaaaaa.

Oct 10, 1987 Vandy game. Band day at Auburn. Hot as hell. But as always worth every sweat drop. Plus playing the national anthem on the field befor the game was always awesome. My first college game/Auburn game experience started on the field in JH not in the stands. It doesn't get much cooler than that without being a player. Stadium was pretty full that day as well 79500 in attendance.  A 48-15 win made the day very sweet.

1983 We played FSU in Jordan Hare 27-24 Tigers.......

Auburn vs Miss. State in 1955. We won something like 27-26 or something close. My cousin played tackle for Auburn and was drafted by the Bears in the 2nd round. Played 2 years with the Bears and one with the Giants. Quit cause he was making more money in the steel mill than playing pro-ball. man have things changed. Played in the Colts-Giants NFL Championship game in 1958.

1973 opener as part of a double header at Legion field with Alabama. Bama played California, and we played Oregon State. We won 18-9.

1990 Auburn v Georgia, The people we were with held a raffle w the other RVs near us to guess the score. Being that it was my first game, the family members I was with let me pick. I guessed 34-10 AU...

we won 33-10 WDE

Archived