What about Grant

milehighfan

Grant would currently be our 6th string RB. He's not better than Tre or McCaleb. That's why he's not playing. Why waste carries on a guy who's not as good as your two main backs?

The Grant issue gets brought up about once every 3 weeks. There are some Auburn fans that want him to get the ball because he is a local kid from Opelika that they want to make it big. I imagine this Grant will be asked about periodically though the year.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some players step it up in games. Put him in to see what happens. He may surprise us. If I remember correctly, a certain RB that wore #34 wasn't a great RB in practice, but did make some noise in games. ;D

Aww shucks. :-[ I didn't know you ever saw me play in mighty mites weegs.

Corey Grant is a good kid but he's just FAST. That's it. He's not a running back. Most people hyping him up haven't even seen him play. He wasn't even a great high school running back at Opelika. How can somebody say he's faster and tougher than all of our backs, when he hasn't even carried the football in a game in his career? The hype is ridiculous. He's not going to play because he's not better than the three guys in front of him. We'll bring in 2 more guys better than him next year. If he can somehow beat them out, good for him. If not, hopefully he'll play on special teams, carry the ball on Homecoming and get his degree. That's about it when it comes to Corey.

I do not understand what people have against Mason and Omac.Mason runs as hard as any back we have had at Auburn.Omac's #'s speak for itself.

Corey Grant is a good kid but he's just FAST. That's it. He's not a running back. Most people hyping him up haven't even seen him play. He wasn't even a great high school running back at Opelika. How can somebody say he's faster and tougher than all of our backs, when he hasn't even carried the football in a game in his career? The hype is ridiculous. He's not going to play because he's not better than the three guys in front of him. We'll bring in 2 more guys better than him next year. If he can somehow beat them out, good for him. If not, hopefully he'll play on special teams, carry the ball on Homecoming and get his degree. That's about it when it comes to Corey.

Based on the 40 times we saw over the summer, he is the fastest.

He is also reagarded as one of the strongest pound for pound guys as well. And during the summer it was reported he made more explosive plays than everybody else. I'm happy with all our guys but I'd like to see what he has to offer as well. But just like everybody who hypes him don't know his ability the guys that are down on him don't know either.

Wow, just wow. I'm glad that we have so many well-informed people who are in the know on this board! Grant not a good running back, even in high school? C'mon man. He WILL get his chance, and that is all that anyone could ask for. Don't believe everything that you read. Remember people, the internet gives the person with average intelligence just enough ammunition to show how dumb they really are.

I am sure Grant will get his chance. Right now he is just down the depth chart a tad. I heard a lot of good things about him either during last spring or during the summer. (my memory isnt the greatest. I keep trying to remember to take that stuff that helps you remember things. I never can remember what it is called though)

Wow, just wow. I'm glad that we have so many well-informed people who are in the know on this board! Grant not a good running back, even in high school? C'mon man. He WILL get his chance, and that is all that anyone could ask for. Don't believe everything that you read. Remember people, the internet gives the person with average intelligence just enough ammunition to show how dumb they really are.

I do not recall anyone making that over exaggerated absurd statement.

I think it's on page 1 or 2. Someone did say it though.

I stand corrected then. Grant will have a role. Just give it time.

Let me clarify what I said since other posters have called my statement absurd and say I have average intelligence and I'm dumb. I said that Corey was not a GREAT high school running back. Good, sure. He ran for 1,500 yards COMBINED his junior and senior seasons. What about that screams that he was a GREAT high school RB?

I watched Opelika play at least 10 times when he was in high school. He had a role much like McCalebb does now. They lined him up in the slot a ton. Against some teams he would break out because he could outrun everybody. But when they lined up against Central and Auburn, it was tough because he's not a PURE running back. He was consistent enough to count on then because he couldn't get the tough yards against teams with equal athletes. Sure, he may have run the fastest 40 time, hell I watched him run 10.5 in the 100m as a junior. But speed doesn't always translate to being a running back. Mario Fannin was 230 lbs and he ran a 4.37 and he couldn't be a starting caliber running back. I don't take away the fact that Corey is fast, but he's not going to be an All-SEC running back. If you dispute that, then let's just watch it play out. But don't resort to calling me an idiot though. That's childish, especially when you don't know me.

Let me clarify what I said since other posters have called my statement absurd and say I have average intelligence and I'm dumb. I said that Corey was not a GREAT high school running back. Good, sure. He ran for 1,500 yards COMBINED his junior and senior seasons. What about that screams that he was a GREAT high school RB?

I watched Opelika play at least 10 times when he was in high school. He had a role much like McCalebb does now. They lined him up in the slot a ton. Against some teams he would break out because he could outrun everybody. But when they lined up against Central and Auburn, it was tough because he's not a PURE running back. He was consistent enough to count on then because he couldn't get the tough yards against teams with equal athletes. Sure, he may have run the fastest 40 time, hell I watched him run 10.5 in the 100m as a junior. But speed doesn't always translate to being a running back. Mario Fannin was 230 lbs and he ran a 4.37 and he couldn't be a starting caliber running back. I don't take away the fact that Corey is fast, but he's not going to be an All-SEC running back. If you dispute that, then let's just watch it play out. But don't resort to calling me an idiot though. That's childish, especially when you don't know me.

I have never seen Grant run. In all fairness, the reason Mario was never considered a great back was because he had trouble holding onto the ball. It had nothing to do with his running ability. He was a fantastic RB talent-wise. Again, he had fumble issues.

Sure, Mario had fumble issues, which was part of his problem. I was just using that to illustrate the fact that measurables don't necessarily translate to being a top notch football player.

And, I think the word GREAT is thrown around so much, that when somebody says it, it can be taken out of context. There is a difference between GOOD and GREAT. I agree that Corey was a good RB in HS. He was behind four guys who were GREAT HS RBs when he left Alabama: Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy, Jalston Fowler, and Dee Hart. Now, he's behind three other guys that were GREAT HS RBs in Mason, McCalebb, and Blakely. He's not the caliber of any of those seven guys. If he was, he would've seen the field by now. Don't fault me for pointing it out. The coaches at two SEC schools (the last 3 national champions at that) agree.

I totally disagree. He is faster and tougher than the backs we have on the field now.

Thanks coach. If Grant was half as good as he's been built up on Auburn forums he wouldn't have been on his way to playing DB at Alabama. He's a pretty good player, but nowhere near worthy of the laughable hype.

^^ +1

I want to know why Corey Grant, Mike Blakely and Melvin Ray all got so much forum hype in the off-season?

because of "insiders" who apparently think they know more about football and talent than they actually do.

I totally disagree. He is faster and tougher than the backs we have on the field now.

Thanks coach. If Grant was half as good as he's been built up on Auburn forums he wouldn't have been on his way to playing DB at Alabama. He's a pretty good player, but nowhere near worthy of the laughable hype.

^^ +1I want to know why Corey Grant, Mike Blakely and Melvin Ray all got so much forum hype in the off-season?

because of "insiders" who apparently think they know more about football and talent than they actually do.

The Melvin Ray stuff came from AUQBdad

I actually think that running back is a significant problem. We just lost a game on a play where our toughest running back was unable to put his nose down and get out of the end zone.

Mason wasn't "unable" to put his nose down. He just didn't. He tried to get fancy instead of just running with power north and south. It was a mistake, not inability.

Mason ran the play as it was called. LSU penetrated and that was that. Better OL blocking and maybe he even breaks it for a long gainer.

LOL at blaming the running back for not getting one yard......no somebody on the o line got what we like to call Blew up! More than likely the guard or center

Its a scientific fact that running off-tackle on the goal line is risky. Running off tackle on the goal line against LSU is particularly risky. Running off tackle, against LSU, after the first run off tackle was blown dead is even more so risky.

Saying that, we didnt lose the game because the RBs were suspect.

Mason ran the play as it was called. LSU penetrated and that was that. Better OL blocking and maybe he even breaks it for a long gainer.

My point was that his tendency is to bounce away from penetration (because of his size) rather than trust that he can run through armtackles of defensive linemen.

Could he have run it differently? Yes.

If we had a big back, would he have been on the field? Yes.

We'll call it a lesson learned by him. Offensive linemen will get beat occasionally, even on the goal line. Square your body up field. Widen your base and power out of the endzone.

My point is that he was supposed to take it outside, that's the play that was called. Better blocking and the play works. Mason is plenty big, if you care enough to search it out (I don't) someone posted the stats here a month or so ago and Mason is right in the mold of your average NFL back.

Mason has no problem running inside when that's the play that is called.

Archived