Malzahn the likely replacement

Rednilla

The thing that always sticks in the back of my mind about Malzahn is Cam Newton. Under Malzahn's tutelage, he led the sec in rushing. Before the draft, every scout said the same things about him: poor mechanics, a qb that thrived in a gimmicky system, never was responsible to make more than 2 reads. He goes to the nfl and has the greatest passing season for a rookie in history. And his qb coach was Mike Shula! Why wasn't Cam throwing for 4,000 yards at Auburn? Why didn't Malzahn recognize his arm talent? And if Malzahn didn't recognize Cam's full ability, can we hope he recognizes it in someone else?

Cam rushed for 1500 plus yards at Auburn. Why doesn't Carolina recognize his rushing talent, when he fails to rush for 1000 yards over 1600 games? Heavy sarcasm here...

4000 yards for Cam in AU's offense? Dude, are you on drugs? AU ran a run first offense...that was the philosophy of Chizik and Malzahn in 2010...and we were very effective, and Cam still passed for over 2500 yards. Let's try some logical coherence...this is one of the dumbest threads I've ever read...reminds me of AL.com.

Cam completed 9, 11, 7, 16,14,13,10,10,18,15,12,13,17,20 passes in his auburn career. That's what Malzahn got out of Cam in the passing game.

And AU won a BCSNC. Whats your point? You do realize this was his one and only season with Cam, right?

No point there. Raw completion stats illustrate little...throw in touchdown passes, interceptions, passing yards, completion rate...you know, some applied statistics, and then you have something that illustrates a coherent thought.

Can't say I've heard anyone else claim that Cam the Heisman winner was underutilized as a passer in 2010.

He had 6 games with less than 200 yds passing. He broke 300 yds twice. He then has the greatest season passing as a rookie in nfl history and that doesn't make you question his collegiate coaching?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk to a few Bama fans if you can bear it. They seem to be rooting for Malzahn to get the job. What they don't want is someone like Petrino.

that's what I have noticed since the possibility of him coaching AU. Not only r bama fans scared of the idea, the sabanite media guys r as well!!

The sabanite media is trending now!! Wrote an article on the breport telling AU that BP is not the coach they need!! Fear is noted.

Malzahn is a GAMBLE, let's not forget that.

He is winning right now with a great team that Freeze left him.

Do we really want to roll that dice again with a great coordinator, hoping he transitions into a great head coach?

This is the same crap everyone said about Chizik....best defense ever, NC at Texas, undefeated at AU, blah blah blah.

We don't know what Malzahn as a HC would be like.

Outside of Petrino, I see Gus as no more of a gamble than most of the other candidates.

The thing that always sticks in the back of my mind about Malzahn is Cam Newton. Under Malzahn's tutelage, he led the sec in rushing. Before the draft, every scout said the same things about him: poor mechanics, a qb that thrived in a gimmicky system, never was responsible to make more than 2 reads. He goes to the nfl and has the greatest passing season for a rookie in history. And his qb coach was Mike Shula! Why wasn't Cam throwing for 4,000 yards at Auburn? Why didn't Malzahn recognize his arm talent? And if Malzahn didn't recognize Cam's full ability, can we hope he recognizes it in someone else?

Cam rushed for 1500 plus yards at Auburn. Why doesn't Carolina recognize his rushing talent, when he fails to rush for 1000 yards over 1600 games? Heavy sarcasm here...

4000 yards for Cam in AU's offense? Dude, are you on drugs? AU ran a run first offense...that was the philosophy of Chizik and Malzahn in 2010...and we were very effective, and Cam still passed for over 2500 yards. Let's try some logical coherence...this is one of the dumbest threads I've ever read...reminds me of AL.com.

Cam completed 9, 11, 7, 16,14,13,10,10,18,15,12,13,17,20 passes in his auburn career. That's what Malzahn got out of Cam in the passing game.

And AU won a BCSNC. Whats your point? You do realize this was his one and only season with Cam, right?

No point there. Raw completion stats illustrate little...throw in touchdown passes, interceptions, passing yards, completion rate...you know, some applied statistics, and then you have something that illustrates a coherent thought.

Can't say I've heard anyone else claim that Cam the Heisman winner was underutilized as a passer in 2010.

He had 6 games with less than 200 yds passing. He broke 300 yds twice. He then has the greatest season passing as a rookie in nfl history and that doesn't make you question his collegiate coaching?

We won the BCSNC with Cam passing for only 300 yds twice. How many games did Carolina win last year? No, I dont question his college coaching.

Arkansas doesn't think he is good enough for them and no other big time programs would show interest, then why would Jacobs want him? I would be dissappointed if Gus was hired based on his resume at a major SEC school. Don't give me look what he did with McFadden and Felix Jones at Ark. and look what he did from 2009-2011. I watched the games. He had an awesome running combo at Ark and all didn't matter who was QB and won with Cam in 2010. The other years, he showed just how mediocre and gimmicky his offense was. Loved that little play where O'Mac hid behind the O'Line. Man that play really caught those great defenses in the SEC off guard didn't it? Oh and I still love those 42 seconds time of possession on those three and outs. Bet the defense loved them too! Loved how the Kentucky's and Arkansas's of the world shut us down and beat us. I think it great a high school coach made it coach college but the Sunbelt and Conference USA is where he belongs!

Having watched him from high school at FL to the A-Day game and throughout the 2010 season, I can assure you he was not a great passer when he got to AU. He got better and better at passing as the season went on and he obviously worked very hard the summer before his rookie year to continue to improve. Your argument is unfounded and moronic. Simply say you would prefer a HC with a more proven record. Don't make crap up and pass it off as wisdom.

#1 Malzahn takes his undermanned team to Oregon and scores 34 points, and if you look at Oregon's resume you would see that Arkansas State looks like they could compete with several teams in the top 20. You could also see where Arkansas State loses also to Nebraska and a Western Kentucky team that (if you watched play Alabama-you would see they were definitely not embarrased) Western Kentucky is a nice team this year.....

You would also see where they kicked La Monroe..........a team that we know very well.

I cannot know 100% that any new coach will be a big hit here..... and that includes the almighty Saban who has not won everywhere he has been.

Guys, timing is everything. Coach Malzahn knows offense like Kelly does at Oregon. If he is smart enough (and has the resources) to bring in a top notch defensive coach then I am feeling pretty good. I like him for an easy transition back as he will know many of the players and I would like to see him run his offense without anyone slowing him down (and with our players).

Why do people think Gus is a brilliant OC? His team is ranked #18 in total offense, and #27 in scoring offense. Quite a few OC/HC ahead of him. Good maybe, great meh. Gus v Saban...think about that.

http://www.ncaa.com/...nt/team/1027/p1

Wouldnt it be more accurate to compare Gus against his peers? Ark St is #1 in scoring and #2 in ypg in the Sun Belt. And for good measure, Gus has the #3 scoring defense.

We won the BCSNC with Cam passing for only 300 yds twice. How many games did Carolina win last year? No, I dont question his college coaching.

I just keep going back to those interviews where gc and gm say things like "early in the season we didn't know what we had". Our o-line and running game won us the nc. We had about 500 yds offense against lsu, 86 was passing. I get the argument "we did what we had to do", but I remember his first game against Arizona he throws for like 450 and the entire game I kept thinking, "where the hell did THIS come from?". That's when I first started questioning Malzahn. Then our offense went to hell in the proverbial handcart. That's why I think it'd be a mistake to hire him.

Having watched him from high school at FL to the A-Day game and throughout the 2010 season, I can assure you he was not a great passer when he got to AU. He got better and better at passing as the season went on and he obviously worked very hard the summer before his rookie year to continue to improve. Your argument is unfounded and moronic. Simply say you would prefer a HC with a more proven record. Don't make crap up and pass it off as wisdom.

What did I make up pray tell?

Everybody is caught up in the numbers that Gus put on smaller and weaker SEC teams. He was shut down consistently by the teams with better defenses and his continuous fast pace three and outs led to a tired defense. Take away his 2010 with Cam and in 2009, he was shut down and held to 14 points in a loss to Kentucky (Not your SEC powerhouse by the way) and was held to 16 points by a Bobby Petrino Arkansas team ( We all know Petrino doesn't do defense) and scored a late garbage touchdown to lose 44-23. We got killed by LSU that year because of quick three and outs and they wore us down. Gus did manage to keep us in a low scoring loss to a 8-5 Georgia that year and had to use gimmick plays to score on Alabama in a game in which defense played some dominate football in shutting down Ingram. In 2011, the defense became softer and weaker and the amount of three and outs led to more blowouts. Fact is, everybody loves his high powered offenses when playing against lesser talent but fail to see how it hurts when playing against better defenses. This is the SEC and the better athletes are mostly on defense. Sure he will give us a chance to consistently beat Ole Miss, MSU, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and other weak teams but his offense does not fit in the SEC to beat and compete with the best teams and to win championships. And you are not guaranteed a Cam or Johnny Football every year so why take a chance on him. Look at who is always the top of the SEC divisions. (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and Florida) They all have very good and physical defenses. We already have a soft defense and his offense only makes a defense softer. Even with Tuberville's players in 2008, (take away Iron Bowl blowout in which team was overmatched as Tubs was on way out) we played physical defense and until we get someone who pushes for physicalness on the defensive side of the ball, we will continue to get softer. Gus's offense is made for Conference USA and the Sun Belt in which he can put up numbers and play teams that don't have the best athletes on the field. We need an offensive that can be versatile in smash mouth and spreading the field with a lateral passing game. Gus is fast paced all the time and we can not afford him to put the defense in a hole with three and outs. If Gus is hired, I feel that we will be in the same position three or four years from now at the bottom of the SEC. Despite what many believe, Gus is not that good of a recruiter and can not maintain upper level talent. We do have some very good talent and need someone that can maintain. But if everyone just wants to beat the weaker teams and go toe to toe with Kentucky, Vandy, and the Miss schools, then Gus is your man. His offense is too gimmicky and flat when not working and he is not proven enough to be a big time SEC coach. Gus is a safe pick and every Auburn fan knows that this is not the time for the safe pick. We need a coach with a proven record at big time program to lead us back to winning championships.

Great post!

***Take the time to read***

So we should try to match up man for man with teams like bama, LSU and florida? no dice

This post pretty much describes it about Gus.

Are you saying we can't man up and recruit with Bama, LSU, and Florida? According to rankings, we have been pretty close except our players haven't been developed. So yeah, we can man up against those teams.

Yeah. That's what I'm saying. We can beat them with superior coaching and scheme, but if you think we are in the same upper, upper echelon as ND, USC, and bama then I don't know what to say. They make movies about those schools. Ain't no movies about Auburn. Now, am I saying we can't beat them on a regular basis? No I am not. When we ran off 6 in a row against bama, they were on probation or chasing their tails with bad coaches. I am an Auburn man and love my boys but we are not a top 5 team nationally, We are a top 15 team and that makes a difference. Doesnt mean we cant beat them, doesnt mean we can't win championships,

Historically our wins and loss records against Bama, LSU, Florida, and Georgia are pretty even. So Yes with all the talent we have recruited, we are on an even ground with them. They may historically have more Championships with us and their are about 5 or 6 schools that have more tradition and wins and yes we are about the top 13 or 14 in all time wins but like I said we have the same resources and competitive with all them head to head so we can compete for championships with them. If you don't give Auburn credit and feel inferior to those schools, then in your eyes I guess we are already defeated.

I just keep going back to those interviews where gc and gm say things like "early in the season we didn't know what we had". Our o-line and running game won us the nc. We had about 500 yds offense against lsu, 86 was passing. I get the argument "we did what we had to do", but I remember his first game against Arizona he throws for like 450 and the entire game I kept thinking, "where the hell did THIS come from?". That's when I first started questioning Malzahn. Then our offense went to hell in the proverbial handcart. That's why I think it'd be a mistake to hire him.

But it wasnt his offense. Gus has always maintained that his goal was to run 80 plays. Why would Gus, willingly, abandon the primary principles (tempo) his offense was built upon? It doesnt. Would Chip Kelly do so? How effective would his offense be?

That he had arm talent when he got to AU. He did not. Tubby passed on him out of H.S. as a QB and wanted him as a TE, because his passing wasn't that great. Even in the A-Day game he was very inaccurate missing a wide open WR in the endzone badly.

I think everyone on this board should read this article, especially the Gus Malzahn naysayers. People talk about his offense sucking in his last year, well read this.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2012/11/scarbinsky_gene_chizik_set_the.html#incart_maj-story-1

And I did say exactly that. On the previous page. At the top. But I won't be childish and call you moronic because you don't read. I'm too good for that.

When Gus said he didn't know what he had, he was referring to Cam's running ability. And if we throw the ball 50 times a game, then Cam has the 400 yard games. We ran a run first spread under Malzahn. Chizik dictated that we run a run first offense. That is the call of Chizik, not Malzahn.

It is well known that Cam went to George Whitfield Jr after leaving Auburn to become a better QB. LINK Oh, and Johnny Football went to him this summer to get better. Gus didn't develop any QB. He was at Tulsa what two years? Both seasons he worked with a senior QB. SO I don't see a track record of developing QBs. Now he didn't have that much of a chance but he did have trotter for a couple of years and Moseley....since neither of them stepped up this year or were that good in 2011, I will let you decide on his success with QBs that he developed.

I think everyone on this board should read this article, especially the Gus Malzahn naysayers. People talk about his offense sucking in his last year, well read this.

http://www.al.com/au...art_maj-story-1

Its about the risk. He's a risk. Chiz was a risk. If Jacobs wants to keep his job he won't play with another risk

That he had arm talent when he got to AU. He did not. Tubby passed on him out of H.S. as a QB and wanted him as a TE, because his passing wasn't that great. Even in the A-Day game he was very inaccurate missing a wide open WR in the endzone badly.

Cam was a five star qb in high school so someone else apparently thought he had arm talent. And he threw what, six passes at a-day? You can scout a man's arm talent in 6 throws in a practice game?

Read the article. I know his resume. Watched every game (not only while he was there but all games at least twice). I have seen how his offense fails many times against other teams with great defensive athletes. His three and outs notorously have put defense in bad position. And besides, that article is about discipline and Gus was right in the middle and saw how the pot smoking Dyer was and thought he'd give him another chance. Doesn't change my opinion on him.

When Gus said he didn't know what he had, he was referring to Cam's running ability. And if we throw the ball 50 times a game, then Cam has the 400 yard games. We ran a run first spread under Malzahn. Chizik dictated that we run a run first offense. That is the call of Chizik, not Malzahn.

When did Chizik call a play? I seem to remember Gus having this sign board thingy...

It is well known that Cam went to George Whitfield Jr after leaving Auburn to become a better QB. LINK Oh, and Johnny Football went to him this summer to get better. Gus didn't develop any QB. He was at Tulsa what two years? Both seasons he worked with a senior QB. SO I don't see a track record of developing QBs. Now he didn't have that much of a chance but he did have trotter for a couple of years and Moseley....since neither of them stepped up this year or were that good in 2011, I will let you decide on his success with QBs that he developed.

Exactly. If Gus is so great at coaching qbs, why did Cam feel he needed to get more coaching?

What do you mean? How do you want things?

He means that he wishes everyone took certain people's dogma and followed along unquestioning like a good sheep. Sorta like a cult.

Or just not be a *****. Apparently that is hard for some people to accomplish. ^^^^^^^

*****? I don't even know her. WDE!

That's the 2nd time I've been called a name in the last half hour. If what I said was incorrect I invite you to show me why I'm wrong. If your only retort is name calling I invite you to grow up.

Do you mean like calling people sheep or being cult members? Something kind of like that?

Do you remember the night Loeffler was hired on AE? Everyone knew that it was an awful hire, and most people said so. I had 2 posts deleted. Both posts basically amounted to "we waited 2 months to hire Temple's inexperienced oc". I wasn't the only one who was censored for being honest saying this was an awful hire. Same thing happened when Chizik was hired. My point is if you didn't have a positive reaction to everything on that site your opinion didn't matter. That's the end of my rant.

Do you really think things changed after the merger? Lots of people have been banned from this site this year for posting things that would pale in comparison to the standard post the last three weeks. This site has lost all credibility with it's over moderation and schizophrenic posts by the "insiders". Lot of truth to the old saying, "You get what you pay for".

Archived