QB recruiting...

Sean White vs. Brandon Harris  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Elite 11 MVP or 247's #1 Dual Threat - Which one do you want?

If anyone is listening to Sportcall, Bryan Matthews is saying the same thing I did about accuracy being undervalued by fans and analysts and prototypical NFL size and raw arm strength being overvalued.

It's extremely dumb for scouts to give/take away credit for a QBs size. Kellen Moore was a phenomenal QB and he was 6' Same for Brees and Russel Wilson. Raw arm strength is important but doesn't mean anything if the ball doesn't hit the receivers hands. Ex. Kiehl Frazier. If you go off of the measurable, kiehl is a monster. When you see him in a game not so much. He has a cannon arm, great size, good speed, and can run good. However he just can't put it together.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But there is a level at which measurables and arm strength set the bar. Brees is a good example on one level (he's short) but a bad one on another (he's got a GREAT arm).

For a better view of why people lock into measurables, look at a guy like Danny Wuerffel. He lacked NFL size and arm strength. Against that level of competition, he just didn't have the athletic ability, in spite of his incredible accuracy with the ball. In college, he played behind a great OL that kept him clean, gave him clear lanes to throw the ball, and let him just loop the ball wherever he wanted. In the NFL, the DL sped up his clock, which gave his WRs less time to work, which meant he had to put more steam on the ball into smaller windows and throw at sometimes awkward angles. His lack of measurables set the bar for him. At some level (whether that's the NFL, the SEC, college in general, etc.), a QBs athletic ability, height, weight, etc. sets his ceiling.

I don't think Brees or Kellen Moore or Russell Wilson would've struggled in the SEC due to height, but that's because they have incredible talent or athleticism to compensate. I don't know if White is in that mold, but I think it's silly to say measurables are overblown solely because we can cite counter-examples and exceptions to the rule.

Personally, I voted for Harris. White is alluring because if he's the next Brees it makes us the smartest guys in the room, right? That's fun. We took a flier, and we were smarter than you! It's tempting, but the bottom line is, Harris has more tools, which in my mind makes him more likely to succeed. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it gives him more ways to succeed.

But there is a level at which measurables and arm strength set the bar. Brees is a good example on one level (he's short) but a bad one on another (he's got a GREAT arm).

Drew Brees has an above average arm and it's one he had to develop over time.

This is not helping the poll ... but I want White unless CGM prefers working with Harris in whichcase I want Harris. On the other hand I want Harris unless CGM prefers working with White in case I want White. Bottomline for me is I want very much the one Gus considers the best one.

:blink:

Drew Brees has an above average arm and it's one he had to develop over time.

What sets Drew Brees apart from other short quarterbacks is his ability to move around in the pocket and get the ball over the line of scrimmage, where as a guy of similar height like Aaron Murray gets his passes batted down far too often.

This is not helping the poll ... but I want White unless CGM prefers working with Harris in whichcase I want Harris. On the other hand I want Harris unless CGM prefers working with White in case I want White. Bottomline for me is I want very much the one Gus considers the best one.

:blink:

Hahahahahaha...I was making sure I wasn't the only one that didn't understand that word salad.

A great piece of writing indeed.

BleacherReport, here kingfish comes. ;)

Its hard to believe Harris would be open to taking 2QBs in this class. I get the feeling he wants to be the man. I voted for Harris because he has the "it" factor...kid oozes swagger and we need a heck of a lot more of that at AU. Added bonus if he brings a top receiver from LA. That said, White would be an awesome Plan B.

#1 would be White and #2 would be Harris. Either way, we get one of the top QB's in America.

a4e has his own ratings system. lol

It's not a given that we can get White. If Spurrier stays hot on his trail White will have a decision to make and Spurrier has a lot to sell to a pocket passer. Since Coach Superior out-recruited us for a RB in Lattimore he'll surely be an obstacle in the battle for a passing QB.

I voted Harris, I like a QB that can run when called upon.

Where do I vote for Jeremy Johnson? ;)

I know you cannot pin all hopes on a single QB but IF JJ pans out maybe SW brings a different skill set to the table for Gus to ponder over. However - if the offense is going to be tailored to the NM, KF, JJ, JW type players - Harris would be the better option for us should someone get hurt. I am sure SW has a great arm but our offense would have to at least change some for his particular style of play. I am not saying Gus can't make it work with him, but taking the QB draw off the table as a 'deadly' threat limits our options. LB's froze to watch Cam - I doubt SW would have the same effect.

Very difficult/critical situation this week for our staff. Coaches get paid the big bucks to handle these things. If CGM thinks Harris is ours after the visit I don't believe White will set foot in Auburn. If SW does come to the Loveliest Village and leaves without an offer that would pretty much guarantee he will not sign with Auburn. Difficult decisions but I really belive Gus will make the right moves. Too much stress for me. :bow:

Very difficult/critical situation this week for our staff. Coaches get paid the big bucks to handle these things. If CGM thinks Harris is ours after the visit I don't believe White will set foot in Auburn. If SW does come to the Loveliest Village and leaves without an offer that would pretty much guarantee he will not sign with Auburn. Difficult decisions but I really belive Gus will make the right moves. Too much stress for me. :bow:

I could be wrong but I thought White was visiting before Harris. An additional thought, since Harris is not committing till the 18th, I think the staff will certainly want White to visit. It will do 2 things. 1, allow the coaches to evaluate White and have a plan in place regardless of what happens to Harris. 2. White could blow our coaches away. We need to play this out.,

:blink:/>

Hahahahahaha...I was making sure I wasn't the only one that didn't understand that word salad.

A great piece of writing indeed.

BleacherReport, here kingfish comes. ;)/>

The simple version is the no.1 on Gus's list is my preference. If Gus has them both as equals, I would prefer the passing accuracy of White.

It's not a given that we can get White. If Spurrier stays hot on his trail White will have a decision to make and Spurrier has a lot to sell to a pocket passer. Since Coach Superior out-recruited us for a RB in Lattimore he'll surely be an obstacle in the battle for a passing QB.

I voted Harris, I like a QB that can run when called upon.

Ugh, I wouldn't say Spurrier "out-recruited" Auburn for Lattimore, but more so that Marcus felt the pressure of staying with the in-state school and that's why he chose the 'Cocks. You didn't forget that Lattimore's from South Carolina, did you? That in of itself gave Spurrier a HUGE advantage.

I am sure SW has a great arm but our offense would have to at least change some for his particular style of play. .

You mean that we would have to run an offense similar to what we did in '09 with Chris Todd under center when Gus led an offense that broke many of Auburn's previous offensive records?

I could be wrong but I thought White was visiting before Harris. An additional thought, since Harris is not committing till the 18th, I think the staff will certainly want White to visit. It will do 2 things. 1, allow the coaches to evaluate White and have a plan in place regardless of what happens to Harris. 2. White could blow our coaches away. We need to play this out.,

Harris will be visiting tomorrow (Wednesday, July 10) and will announce his decision on Thursday, July 18.

White will definitely be visiting on Thursday, July 11; however, I think that at this point, the duration of his visit is unknown. I could be wrong about the duration though.

#1 would be White and #2 would be Harris. Either way, we get one of the top QB's in America.

a4e has his own ratings system. lol

Just got a tweet with breaking news that a4e has awarded both White and Harris the ever elusive 6th Star.

After the conversation I just had with a high school coach I have changed my mind. Give me White.

elabroate a bit.... was conversation good for White or bad for Harris?

Archived