QB recruiting...

Sean White vs. Brandon Harris  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Elite 11 MVP or 247's #1 Dual Threat - Which one do you want?

See E, I agree that Brees has an above average NFL arm, which makes his arm elite. If you're above average at that level, you're scrapping the cream off the cream of the crop. He had a plus arm at Purdue as well. Sure, his arm developed over time, but it has always been plus at whatever level he was currently playing. By that I mean, when he was at Purdue, his arm was much stronger than say Wuerffel at UF. If White has Brees' arm, that tells me he's got a huge ability to drive the ball across the field.

And let me also say that I agree with AUciv, Jeremy Johnson is the most important QB among the three. I genuinely believe he's going to be a program affecting player ala Jason Campbell. If he redshirts this year (very possible and maybe probable), Harris or White will have a maximum of two years to potentially start (and that only happens if the 2014 signee redshirts and Johnson goes pro a year early... certainly not a given). If I'm a betting man on the most important guy, give me Johnson over either of these two.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty amazing how close the vote is.

Current tally is...

Sean White - 62 votes

Brandon Harris - 57 votes

After the conversation I just had with a high school coach I have changed my mind. Give me White.

Yeah, c'mon, man! Elaborate! We're already a little edgy, waiting for something to pop.

See E, I agree that Brees has an above average NFL arm, which makes his arm elite. If you're above average at that level, you're scrapping the cream off the cream of the crop. He had a plus arm at Purdue as well. Sure, his arm developed over time, but it has always been plus at whatever level he was currently playing. By that I mean, when he was at Purdue, his arm was much stronger than say Wuerffel at UF. If White has Brees' arm, that tells me he's got a huge ability to drive the ball across the field.

And let me also say that I agree with AUciv, Jeremy Johnson is the most important QB among the three. I genuinely believe he's going to be a program affecting player ala Jason Campbell. If he redshirts this year (very possible and maybe probable), Harris or White will have a maximum of two years to potentially start (and that only happens if the 2014 signee redshirts and Johnson goes pro a year early... certainly not a given). If I'm a betting man on the most important guy, give me Johnson over either of these two.

Johnson is only the most important if he actually works out as a QB (yeah I know we all hope and think he will), but if he doesn't then the next guy is most important. One of those things that maybe in 6 years or so we'll actually be able to say who was most important.

After the conversation I just had with a high school coach I have changed my mind. Give me White.

Yeah, c'mon, man! Elaborate! We're already a little edgy, waiting for something to pop.

Talked about what a passer and field general like White could do in Gus's offense. Could set records while at AU. Said White's field vision, decision making & Field awareness is great in the clips he has seen.

Talked about what a passer and field general like White could do in Gus's offense. Could set records while at AU. Said White's field vision, decision making & Field awareness is great in the clips he has seen.

That and I am not crazy about Harris telling LSU reporters 2 weeks ago that he was going to the LSU camp on July 14 and that be his final visit before he commits and then telling Auburn reporters a few days ago that he was not going to the LSU camp on the 14th and had no idea where it came from that he was going. It came from his own mouth. I would have much rather him just simply say he changed his mind.

The biggest doubts by ALL THE EXPERTS on Brees til he proved himself with my Saints was always his size and arm strength so I respectfully disagree with your Brees analysis and moving on from it.

We have great runners but not an efficient & accurate passer (as shown in an actual game in an Auburn Uni [no slight on NM or JJ]) so given that give me the better passer every time. I think that SW can pick up yardage when needed by running....is he a threat to take it to the house? Probably not, and we don't need it to be but if he can pick up 5 yards then we would be fine with him running the offense. I haven't seen BH highlights yet so I am not sure how well he can throw. Getting the ball where needed to the receiver so that he doesn't have to break stride will do wonders for the score board.

It's not a given that we can get White. If Spurrier stays hot on his trail White will have a decision to make and Spurrier has a lot to sell to a pocket passer. Since Coach Superior out-recruited us for a RB in Lattimore he'll surely be an obstacle in the battle for a passing QB.

I voted Harris, I like a QB that can run when called upon.

Ugh, I wouldn't say Spurrier "out-recruited" Auburn for Lattimore, but more so that Marcus felt the pressure of staying with the in-state school and that's why he chose the 'Cocks. You didn't forget that Lattimore's from South Carolina, did you? That in of itself gave Spurrier a HUGE advantage.

After following the saga of Lattimore's recruiting day-by day, I do say Spurrier our recruited us for him. Take away the home state thing and add that we're talking about a QB here and it's all the same. Steve can give us serious problems with White if he decides he really wants the guy.

We have great runners but not an efficient & accurate passer (as shown in an actual game in an Auburn Uni [no slight on NM or JJ]) so given that give me the better passer every time. I think that SW can pick up yardage when needed by running....is he a threat to take it to the house? Probably not, and we don't need it to be but if he can pick up 5 yards then we would be fine with him running the offense. I haven't seen BH highlights yet so I am not sure how well he can throw. Getting the ball where needed to the receiver so that he doesn't have to break stride will do wonders for the score board.

^ This ^. The more options that we have, the more we can tailor our offense to what we want.

It's not a given that we can get White. If Spurrier stays hot on his trail White will have a decision to make and Spurrier has a lot to sell to a pocket passer. Since Coach Superior out-recruited us for a RB in Lattimore he'll surely be an obstacle in the battle for a passing QB.

Ugh, I wouldn't say Spurrier "out-recruited" Auburn for Lattimore, but more so that Marcus felt the pressure of staying with the in-state school and that's why he chose the 'Cocks. You didn't forget that Lattimore's from South Carolina, did you? That in of itself gave Spurrier a HUGE advantage.

After following the saga of Lattimore's recruiting day-by day, I do say Spurrier our recruited us for him. Take away the home state thing and add that we're talking about a QB here and it's all the same. Steve can give us serious problems with White if he decides he really wants the guy.

Steven Davis is the one who helped Lat go to SC. Lat asked Davis if he were to choose again where would he go to school, SC or AU, and Davis said he would have stayed closer to home and gone to SC. That what Lat did.

And I believe AU has been on White longer that SC has. I think anyways.

Steven Davis is the one who helped Lat go to SC. Lat asked Davis if he were to choose again where would he go to school, SC or AU, and Davis said he would have stayed closer to home and gone to SC. That what Lat did.

Heck, I would have too! Terry Bowden tragically misused Davis' talents. (see his NFL career) He was a Heisman Trophy caliber running back, and spent way to much time on the side line so Bowden could run his fun and gun offense.

I should have added that along with the score board results with the better passer we will be recruiting better WRs....to come and catch those well thrown passes.

I haven't seen the field generalship but the vision and decision making, yes. Thanks for the info.

That and I am not crazy about Harris telling LSU reporters 2 weeks ago that he was going to the LSU camp on July 14 and that be his final visit before he commits and then telling Auburn reporters a few days ago that he was not going to the LSU camp on the 14th and had no idea where it came from that he was going. It came from his own mouth. I would have much rather him just simply say he changed his mind.

Moreover, I saw this yesterday. E, I don't know where this originally came from so do your thing and delete it if you know it to be premium. He was quoted as saying, "I really want to go to LSU camp just to throw to those guys," Harris said. "Trey Quinn scored like six touchdowns when our schools played each other in that shootout game. That guy can play.

"And Speedy Noil's burst of speed, it's unreal. I just want to see what those guys are like when you throw to them."

Heck, I would have too! Terry Bowden tragically misused Davis' talents. (see his NFL career) He was a Heisman Trophy caliber running back, and spent way to much time on the side line so Bowden could run his fun and gun offense.

Totally agree.

I am sure SW has a great arm but our offense would have to at least change some for his particular style of play. .

You mean that we would have to run an offense similar to what we did in '09 with Chris Todd under center when Gus led an offense that broke many of Auburn's previous offensive records?

Yes, I mean that one. My point was directed towards having to change QB's mid game. Do you go from JJ/KF/NM/JW to SW running the same gameplan you practiced all week. If so - then mock me. We all know what Chris Todd accomplished and that is why I acknowledged the fact I beleive he would be successful under Gus.

The only concern on SW is his height. With OL and DL in the 6-4 to 6-8 range, trying to see over the line is difficult at 6-2. But from what I have heard, SW is able to move the pocket and make the throws when needed. IMHO, I would prefer to have a field general that can make accurate throws over a true "running" QB. The SEC is a punishing conference, and you never know when the next hit on your QB will be his last. We recruit great RB's to handle that part of the offense. As much as I hate to say it, an accurate QB that is a great game manager and leader has done really well for bammer the past several seasons.

I trust the coaches to do what's best, after seeing them both this week. If getting both isn't an option, I think I would prefer to have SW. It's been too long since we had a QB that could throw a quick slant, a screen to the RB, or hit a receiver in stride down the sidelines.

The only concern on SW is his height. With OL and DL in the 6-4 to 6-8 range, trying to see over the line is difficult at 6-2. But from what I have heard, SW is able to move the pocket and make the throws when needed. IMHO, I would prefer to have a field general that can make accurate throws over a true "running" QB. The SEC is a punishing conference, and you never know when the next hit on your QB will be his last. We recruit great RB's to handle that part of the offense. As much as I hate to say it, an accurate QB that is a great game manager and leader has done really well for bammer the past several seasons.

I trust the coaches to do what's best, after seeing them both this week. If getting both isn't an option, I think I would prefer to have SW. It's been too long since we had a QB that could throw a quick slant, a screen to the RB, or hit a receiver in stride down the sidelines.

I've seen more than one person comment on SW's height at 6' 2" being a concern but NM, KF, JW and SW are all 6' 2". All these heights come directly from the AUC-247 site.

Sean White is NOT 6' 2". On his tallest day he's 6' flat. Of course I don't know this as fact, but rather I eyeballed him at the Opening standing next to various other guys.

Sean White is NOT 6' 2". On his tallest day he's 6' flat. Of course I don't know this as fact, but rather I eyeballed him at the Opening standing next to various other guys.

6'2 and 6'0 are both incorrect. SW measured at 6'1, 195 at The Opening last week.

lol, that one inch makes all the difference....

that's what she said.

Archived