Patriot Act Author Slams NSA’s ‘Overbroad’ Interpretation Of Legislation: ‘Excessive And Un-American’

Auburn85

http://www.mediaite.com/online/patriot-act-author-slams-nsas-overbroad-interpretation-of-legislation-excessive-and-un-american/

Meenal Vamburkar

Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI) penned a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder on Thursday in response to the “overbroad interpretation” of the Patriot Act. As the author who introduced the legislation, Sensenbrenner said he was “disturbed” by the report about the NSA’s gathering phone records of Verizon customers — raising questions about the security of Americans’ constitutional rights.

“As the author of the Patriot Act, I am extremely troubled by the FBI’s interpretation of this legislation,” he said. “While I believe the Patriot Act appropriately balanced national security concerns and civil rights, I have always worried about potential abuses.”

The reports about the NSA’s actions, he said, are “deeply concerning” and “raise questions about whether our constitutional rights are secure.

“I do not believe the broadly drafted FISA order is consistent with the requirements of the Patriot Act,” the congressman said in his statement.

“Seizing phone records of millions of innocent people is excessive and un-American.”

In his letter, he also included questions he’d like answered, including why the court order was so broad and whether the FBI believes there are limits on information they can obtain.

He also spoke to Fox News, reiterating that argument and emphasizing that this is “a big deal.”

Archived