Our first choice was Sumlin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No it was not. He was higher on the list though. I am very happy with Gus however.

No it was not. He was higher on the list though. I am very happy with Gus however.

me too

That doesn't come even remotely close to saying Sumlin was Auburn's first choice. We all know his name was MENTIONED but that's as far as we know. How that TINY little mention in this article gets blown up to him being Auburn's first choice is beyond me. There is absolutely NOTHING new here. OLD news...moving on.

The NBC 13 news tonight reported that he was the first choice. Not sure who peed in your Cheerios, but it remains an interesting topic for discussion.

And the Birmingham Sports media is soooooo trustworthy.

The NBC 13 news tonight reported that he was the first choice. Not sure who peed in your Cheerios, but it remains an interesting topic for discussion.

And the Birmingham Sports media is soooooo trustworthy.

Good grief. No need to throw me to the wolves here. I saw something from a pretty reputable source and I thought it was interesting.

Haha I think people are a little touchy about it because it gives off the appearance that we settled for Gus. Not to mention that we have been really excited by what he has done, so we don't want to hear anything that sounds like we didn't want him. Truth is, coaching hires always go that way. There are interviews and some coaching don't make the cut and some turn down the job until you find the right guy. Gus was the right guy and I think everyone is really happy so far with the way things turned out, first choice or not.

I could understand IF he was our 1st choice. Dude's a pretty dadgum good coach and I'd love to have him in Auburn not that I'm the least bit disappointed to have Gus because I dont see how anyone could have done a better job than he has to this point.

I dont see how anyone could have done a better job than he has to this point.

Agreed. I don't think many people could have assembled the staff that Gus has assembled. Surround yourself with great people and you'll be successful.

It doesn't really matter, but you would have had to ask sumlin and assume he was staying put. I doubt he even interviewed. Few know who was 1st choice.

Haha I think people are a little touchy about it because it gives off the appearance that we settled for Gus. Not to mention that we have been really excited by what he has done, so we don't want to hear anything that sounds like we didn't want him. Truth is, coaching hires always go that way. There are interviews and some coaching don't make the cut and some turn down the job until you find the right guy. Gus was the right guy and I think everyone is really happy so far with the way things turned out, first choice or not.

People do get touchy when it comes to Gus. Good grief...everbody just CHILL! lol.

I doubt if Sumlin got more than some "unofficial person" asking if he'd be interested, if he even got that.

Think a second here: Why would anyone at AU think he'd be interested? For sure we can't match the Aggie's money, so why would he come here? I doubt if Sumlin even made our list. That article does, however, give the Aggies something else to beat their chests about. Truth doesn't matter these days and stuff like that sells.

BHam news trying to stir the pot. Nothing more.

I doubt if Sumlin got more than some "unofficial person" asking if he'd be interested, if he even got that.

Think a second here: Why would anyone at AU think he'd be interested? For sure we can't match the Aggie's money, so why would he come here? I doubt if Sumlin even made our list. That article does, however, give the Aggies something else to beat their chests about. Truth doesn't matter these days and stuff like that sells.

Whether they thought he was interested or not it was worth checking since he is from Brewton, Alabama.

Also there are a number of reasons for Sumlin to stay at A&M but Auburn not able to match Aggie money is not one of them. Auburn is the 19th most profitable program in the nation. We have money. Probably the main reason JJ is still AD.

Whether they thought he was interested or not it was worth checking since he is from Brewton, Alabama.

Also there are a number of reasons for Sumlin to stay at A&M but Auburn not able to match Aggie money is not one of them. Auburn is the 19th most profitable program in the nation. We have money. Probably the main reason JJ is still AD.

Ellitor, we don't have anywhere near the money A&M has. Someone remarked that when A&M joined the SEC West, the endowment total for the entire division instantly doubled. I didn't bother checking that fact but I don't doubt it one bit. Never, ever get in a bidding war with them, we nor anybody else in the SEC can match them dollar for dollar.

Ellitor, we don't have anywhere near the money A&M has. Someone remarked that when A&M joined the SEC West, the endowment total for the entire division instantly doubled. I didn't bother checking that fact but I don't doubt it one bit. Never, ever get in a bidding war with them, we nor anybody else in the SEC can match them dollar for dollar.

TAM is in the top 10 list of universities for endowments. Harvard is first. TAM is the land grant college of Texas and there's lots of oil in that land plus some very wealthy alumni. That said they have spent lots of money on football and haven't done that well against UTA.

Interesting. Them whining about Texas made it sound like they were no richer than any other school.

It doesn't really matter, but you would have had to ask sumlin and assume he was staying put. I doubt he even interviewed. Few know who was 1st choice.

With someone like Sumlin, you don't interview them...you offer them the job...its theirs to take or leave.

We interviewed patterson. Is he below sumlin?

Bird would be the one to ask. He is better connected than I on those particulars.

What does your endowment have anything to do with how much money you have to pay a football coach? If endowments mattered to athletics Vanderbilt would always have highly paid coaches and the best facilities. Before A&M arrived Vanderbilt was first in the SEC for decades and their endowment was 3 times that of the next closest (Florida). Keep in mind Florida is 3rd in the SEC in terms of endowment but they rank 56th nationally. In terms of endowments the SEC ranks very low and that doesn't hurt our programs. Stanford's endowment is roughly equal to the total of all SEC endowments combined. Northwestern's endowment is as big as A&M's. Rice, UVA, and Duke have huge endowments all at least 4 times bigger than Alabama's...do you think they would ever pay Saban money? If endowments mattered the SEC would struggle because our endowments on average are many times less than the Big 10, Big 12, ACC, Pac 10 etc...

Archived