2015 5* DT Daron Payne (Alabama signee)

ellitor

"Which is all hype, I along with Brian Billick, feel the say way. Tide players get their value while at bama. Brian Billick says that Saban players used up by the time they get to the nfl. And that comment came from a Super Bowl head coach."

Saban is a snake.....but come on man. Julio, Eddie Lacy, James Carpenter, Mark Barron, etc etc etc are all doing pretty dang good right now.

Not really

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Which is all hype, I along with Brian Billick, feel the say way. Tide players get their value while at bama. Brian Billick says that Saban players used up by the time they get to the nfl. And that comment came from a Super Bowl head coach."

Saban is a snake.....but come on man. Julio, Eddie Lacy, James Carpenter, Mark Barron, etc etc etc are all doing pretty dang good right now.

Not really

those guys mentioned actually help the argument that players get used up. Carpenter and Julio both already have reputations as being big injury risks, with carpenter being in a competition for a starting spot this season. Baron is a decent player on a terrible unit. Lacy was solid on a team where he was the only offensive option, but I think anyone who watches him will realize that the frequency with which he tries to spearhead would be tacklers means that he will probably have a pretty short career, and now that their is more emphasis on flagging RBs who lower their heads, he will be much less effective

Not really

those guys mentioned actually help the argument that players get used up. Carpenter and Julio both already have reputations as being big injury risks, with carpenter being in a competition for a starting spot this season. Baron is a decent player on a terrible unit. Lacy was solid on a team where he was the only offensive option, but I think anyone who watches him will realize that the frequency with which he tries to spearhead would be tacklers means that he will probably have a pretty short career, and now that their is more emphasis on flagging RBs who lower their heads, he will be much less effective

The only one I'll say something about is Lacy.. He's better than solid and he's the Packer's franchise back. He won the Rookie of the Year award and he's easily one of the best in the league right now.

There are Saban-centric threads in the Rivals recruiting and Rivals football forums. Take the Saban talk over there please.

Hopefully getting Payne on campus will help this weekend. We are loading up on Off. but we could really use some DL and he is one of if not the best. I don't know if bama already has him locked up or not but I sure hope getting him on campus can help us sway him to the good guys.

I don't think he's the best in this class but he's got potential to be one of the best in the country. I've seen some things posted on here about his work ethic potentially being lackluster. If that stuff isn't true then I'm fully on board. Kid's a beast.

grapevine is that he is lazy....I have never seen him play, so take it for what its worth....

This has been said for 2 years now. I think he takes plays off. Thing is that when he is on, he is real good. Plus, our staff subs a ton. They better go full tilt when they are in our defense.

I saw several of his games last year. He does appear to take a few plays off here and there. Wasn't that the rub against Clowney also. He seemed to do OK with it. The problem high school teams have with Payne is that he can be so dominant (in high school) that even when it appears that he is taking a play off he still clogs up the middle because they can't move him out of the way.

Garner doesn't allow laziness.

Neither does Coach Russell which is the real area of laziness/low discipline for Payne.

Any word on his visit?

No but most indications are the battle between AU and Bama is closer than people think.

Any word on his visit?

No but most indications are the battle between AU and Bama is closer than people think.

Forget the battle, pull the trigger Daron... You will have much more of a chance at early playing time at AU. We need D-Linemen in the worst way this year. We have many D-Linemen that will be graduating by 2016.

Any word on his visit?

Forget the battle, pull the trigger Daron... You will have much more of a chance at early playing time at AU. We need D-Linemen in the worst way this year. We have many D-Linemen that will be graduating by 2016.

Exactly^^ . All he has to do is ask mr.Pilon at arky how it turned out with bama. Kid is now a future draft pick after being left at the alter by his boyhood crush on Saban and the tawd!

A little bit of an update on the last two weekends ...

Birmingham (Ala.) Shades Valley defensive tackle Daron Payne has been busy over the last couple of weekends. Payne was at Auburn for the Tigers' home opener on Aug. 30. This Saturday, the 5-star run-stuffer went down the road to Tuscaloosa for the Tide's contest against Florida Atlantic.

"It was a nice visit. I got a chance to talk to Coach (Nick) Saban. He was cool, not that intimidating," joked Payne to Bleacher Report. "My parents grew up Alabama fans and they try to get me to go there, but I try not to listen to it. I have a great relationship with Coach (Mario) Cristobal. He treats me like a son."

Payne enjoyed his trip to The Plains as well. He said the game was much closer, so he got a better chance to see what the defense was all about. The Yellowhammer State standout is planning to make his college announcement at the Under Armour All-America game in January.

He told me, "I grew up an Auburn fan as a kid. However, I'm going to make my decision based on the depth chart and where I feel at home."

Mississippi State is also in the mix for Payne. His teammate, Keith Mixon, is committed to the Bulldogs. Payne said Hail State has done a great job recruiting him and they are one of his finalists along with Alabama and Auburn.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2190132-kynons-korner-marcus-mariotas-possible-heir-lebron-james-the-no-1-recruit

What they really mean is they grew up while AU was winning and $puat was mediocre. It's only a matter of time before the recruits start lining up provided we maintain our current level of success.

If this kid is legitimately looking at depth charts and he grew up an Auburn fan then this should be over already. Picking Alabama after those comments would be a farce

If this kid is legitimately looking at depth charts and he grew up an Auburn fan then this should be over already. Picking Alabama after those comments would be a farce

Not when you count his best relationship is with Cristobal. Kids many times pick the school they have the best relationship with the recruiting coach despite what other factors they say are important.

Not when you count his best relationship is with Cristobal. Kids many times pick the school they have the best relationship with the recruiting coach despite what other factors they say are important.

Then PCBAuburnaFan is onto the fact that Payne is not really looking at depth charts, correct?

Archived