2015 5* DT Daron Payne (Alabama signee)

ellitor

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIFWIW - Daron loves Mario Cristobal but not necessarily Alabama. He hates the idea of playing nose tackle. However, his head coach who is a former Bama player is changing his defense to a 3-4 to get Daron used to the idea of playing nose tackle and get him ready for Alabama. He is also does not like how hard Alabama works. This isn't necessarily great news because Auburn will work him just as hard. This lazy attitude may be the reason he has ballooned up to 345lbs. But hopefully, this will help us by turning him away from the "all-business" atmosphere at Alabama as compared to the laid back, family atmosphere at Auburn.

At this time, I still think Daron ends up at Bama. But if Alabama's O-line struggles again this year and Cristobal is let go, then the door swings wide open...

Cameron: Is it true that Cristobal calls Payne every morning as a wake-up call? That's what is being said in the Birmingham area.

Yes, I heard that 4 months ago. Cristobal has been all over him since last fall.

Only way Cristobal leaves uat is to go to another school. Guy can recruit and thats what uat is paying him to do. We lose some battles to him but make up for it during the season as our coaches know how to recruit and coach.

And if AU loses Payne so be it. MEH on him at AU anyways.

He needs to shore up the offensive line. That's his primary responsibility and he is failing... not saying he will be fired, but there is some grumbling going on among the turds .

I think the feeling on Payne and Carr is about the same.

JMO, but I would take Carr over Payne, not from a talent standpoint, but I think Payne has NO real interest in AU. He is a Bammer all the way. I genuinely think Carr is a bit confused by all the recruiting stuff and wants to do the right thing, but is for some reason afraid to pull the trigger. I thought he moved his decision timeframe up as well.

I can see AU without both Carr and Payne; or with Carr, but I do not see Payne at AU period.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed on 247 the last CB pick was from a guy changing his pick from UA to AU. I wonder what would have caused him to do that?

I noticed on 247 the last CB pick was from a guy changing his pick from UA to AU. I wonder what would have caused him to do that?

Unless the pick came in from someone that actually covers AL or AU, then I would not pay attention to it.

Unless the pick came in from someone that actually covers AL or AU, then I would not pay attention to it.

Reddit doesn't cover either. That's who the pick was from.

Payne is all bammer if you ask me.

From what I've read here and other places, I think Payne and UAT are a good match for each other.

• 1 month later...

In an interview on al.com Payne says Auburn has really picked up their recruitment of him but still hears from bama more. Also says that Gus told him he is the #1 player on our board.

In an interview on al.com Payne says Auburn has really picked up their recruitment of him but still hears from bama more. Also says that Gus told him he is the #1 player on our board.

CRG must have something up his sleeve

It's all about the future Benjamin's. Saban is to the majority of players "an ends to justify the means", coach. It's not about the schools or tradition or educational opportunities. These young men have no comprehension of tradition or loyalty to any program. And at the elite level with the money being thrown about, it's understandable. This ain't mine or your daddies college football.

It's all about the future Benjamin's. Saban is to the majority of players "an ends to justify the means", coach. It's not about the schools or tradition or educational opportunities. These young men have no comprehension of tradition or loyalty to any program. And at the elite level with the money being thrown about, it's understandable. This ain't mine or your daddies college football.

Which is all hype, I along with Brian Billick, feel the say way. Tide players get their value while at bama. Brian Billick says that Saban players used up by the time they get to the nfl. And that comment came from a Super Bowl head coach.

I've heard that Payne is really buying into Garner's plan of playing so many players that they all remain fresh. It's not about total reps but quality reps on the field RG is telling him. Plus Payne had no idea RG had put so many of his players in the NFL. I was told bama leads but it has dwindled in the past few weeks.

Big Daron got him a INT last night, not something you generally see in a 320 pounder stat line. Nice!

much less 345 which is what Payne is at right now.

I've heard that Payne is really buying into Garner's plan of playing so many players that they all remain fresh. It's not about total reps but quality reps on the field RG is telling him. Plus Payne had no idea RG had put so many of his players in the NFL. I was told bama leads but it has dwindled in the past few weeks.

Yeah. There has been rumblings behind the scenes that AU has made up ground. Not sure yet if true or not. Regardless. Thanks for sharing! :cheers:

"Which is all hype, I along with Brian Billick, feel the say way. Tide players get their value while at bama. Brian Billick says that Saban players used up by the time they get to the nfl. And that comment came from a Super Bowl head coach."

Saban is a snake.....but come on man. Julio, Eddie Lacy, James Carpenter, Mark Barron, etc etc etc are all doing pretty dang good right now.

Big Daron got him a INT last night, not something you generally see in a 320 pounder stat line. Nice!

much less 345 which is what Payne is at right now.

345? Wow, hope he gets that down a tad.

Archived