2015 5* DT Daron Payne (Alabama signee)

ellitor

Also, up and until Rodney Garner gives me a reason to, I see no need to doubt his ability to sell himself and The University of Auburn. What has been an even better surprise, is the development (coaching wise) across the DL last year. I didn't doubt his coaching, I was just seeing the same stuff from UGA people that we all did. Maybe they were wrong, and maybe they weren't. Either way, I am thrilled!

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, up and until Rodney Garner gives me a reason to, I see no need to doubt his ability to sell himself and The University of Auburn. What has been an even better surprise, is the development (coaching wise) across the DL last year. I didn't doubt his coaching, I was just seeing the same stuff from UGA people that we all did. Maybe they were wrong, and maybe they weren't. Either way, I am thrilled!

University of Auburn? haha You are working too hard.

Just reading the tea leaves, but IMO we have backed off here some. In fact, there isn't much question as to if, maybe why is still up for debate. I have MY suspicions.

Interesting. Shoot me a PM.

Well, without the PM, I would guess he may be a silent to BAMA and may be recruiting for them or our staff feels he is not being honest with them.

^^this^^

I thought it had something to do with him being a good bit overweight now holding 340 lbs now at a 6'2 frame.

My tea leaves say you are spot on. Keeping excess weight off requires, you know, WORK. If someone isn't too fond of work it gives a college recruiter reason to pause and think..... Not that I know anything. I don't, really. Just sometimes when my tealeaves spell out stuff I repeat it here. I suppose I could take a picture of the tealeaves. Would that qualify as a link? :)

University of Auburn? haha You are working too hard.

I was kinda doing a Si-en-tistic exspearamint, It failed.

I don't expect us to expend lots of recruiting resources on him going forward. But UAT expects him to wait til NSD or close to officially commit.

I don't expect us to expend lots of recruiting resources on him going forward. But UAT expects him to wait til NSD or close to officially commit.

I agree, I hope we do not spend a lot of time on Payne.

It is a long time till next February, a lot of things can happen before then. So i'm sure CGM will play this one right. One thing for sure the gus bus don't just pull over and let anyone on. When CGM is doing the driving he only hauls in the ones that really want on the bus.!!!!!

Still, it is interesting to talk about it. :Sing:

the SEC is getting faster as a whole, with us obviously leading the way. unless this guy can trim down and remain as strong, he will struggle being a factor on long drives and late in the game, especially since bielema will probably be gone before he ever sets foot on the field. Just my completely uneducated opinion

IF he were to choose AU, you would see a Gabe Wright type transformation. Coach Russell's S&C program will take care of any needs our players have in order to perform in this system IMO.

IF he were to choose AU, you would see a Gabe Wright type transformation. Coach Russell's S&C program will take care of any needs our players have in order to perform in this system IMO.

The player still has to buy in and do the work.

Exactly and Gabe never got close to Payne's 345 lbs.

Agree, but I don't think he will be on this team long if he doesn't buy in and do the work.

Agree, but I don't think he will be on this team long if he doesn't buy in and do the work.

Not at AU but he could go to Bama and half arse if he wants in that area and play the Terrance Cody role for them.

Not at AU but he could go to Bama and half arse if he wants in that area and play the Terrance Cody role for them.

Exactly. He's a nose tackle. He wiall have to lift but not shrink at UAT. Gabe isn't really the best example, as he's been too much talk, too inconsistent, though he has improved over the years. Regardless, barring something unusual, I think this ship has sailed, and the staff will merely continue to assure Payne we want him on the off chance that he gets disenchanted with Saban and wants to look elsewhere.

This is what I have been hearing my bama buddies talking about and it makes since. You don't need a 5* guy to play this role but it makes the rankings look good. In their scheme he is a good fit if he wants to play at 330+. If he wants to make headlines for being more than drain plug he will slim down and say WDE. I just don't expect it at this point. Thompson, IMO, would be more worth the while in any case. This kid is just a ratings battle for either school and a better fit for them.

Edit: RE - Mt. Cody

• 1 month later...

TIFWIW - Daron loves Mario Cristobal but not necessarily Alabama. He hates the idea of playing nose tackle. However, his head coach who is a former Bama player is changing his defense to a 3-4 to get Daron used to the idea of playing nose tackle and get him ready for Alabama. He is also does not like how hard Alabama works. This isn't necessarily great news because Auburn will work him just as hard. This lazy attitude may be the reason he has ballooned up to 345lbs. But hopefully, this will help us by turning him away from the "all-business" atmosphere at Alabama as compared to the laid back, family atmosphere at Auburn.

At this time, I still think Daron ends up at Bama. But if Alabama's O-line struggles again this year and Cristobal is let go, then the door swings wide open...

TIFWIW - Daron loves Mario Cristobal but not necessarily Alabama. He hates the idea of playing nose tackle. However, his head coach who is a former Bama player is changing his defense to a 3-4 to get Daron used to the idea of playing nose tackle and get him ready for Alabama. He is also does not like how hard Alabama works. This isn't necessarily great news because Auburn will work him just as hard. This lazy attitude may be the reason he has ballooned up to 345lbs. But hopefully, this will help us by turning him away from the "all-business" atmosphere at Alabama as compared to the laid back, family atmosphere at Auburn.

At this time, I still think Daron ends up at Bama. But if Alabama's O-line struggles again this year and Cristobal is let go, then the door swings wide open...

Thanks for the info CC.

Cameron: Is it true that Cristobal calls Payne every morning as a wake-up call? That's what is being said in the Birmingham area.

Cameron: Is it true that Cristobal calls Payne every morning as a wake-up call? That's what is being said in the Birmingham area.

None of this sounds at all good for us.

None of this sounds at all good for us.

If he is as lazy as many are speculating, then why would we want him?

Told u guys, he was bama bound. And it's very true what Cameron said about cristobal, there's also more influences other than head coach from what I'm hearing.

Yes, I heard that 4 months ago. Cristobal has been all over him since last fall.

Yes, I heard that 4 months ago. Cristobal has been all over him since last fall.

Only way Cristobal leaves uat is to go to another school. Guy can recruit and thats what uat is paying him to do. We lose some battles to him but make up for it during the season as our coaches know how to recruit and coach.

And if AU loses Payne so be it. MEH on him at AU anyways.

Archived