Defensive Competition vs. Malzahn's Offense in 2013

StatTiger

In terms of explosive plays, which is a trademark for the Malzahn offense, here is the average number of explosive plays allowed by the opposing defenses per game.

This is the average number of 10+ run plays and 15+ pass plays allowed over the past 6 seasons (2007-2012) per game. I also included the number of seasons, each opponent allowed more than an average of 8.0 per game.

Florida International 11.66

Washington State 11.66

Texas A&M 10.47

Ole Miss 10.23

Arkansas 9.67

MSU 9.55

Arkansas State 9.42

Tennessee 9.41

Georgia 8.88

LSU 7.68

Alabama 6.38

The above number show the potential for Auburn to have offensive success against 8 of their 11 scheduled FBS opponents. Alabama, LSU and Georgia will likely be the most difficult defenses Auburn will face in 2013. Again, Auburn has won approx. 82 percent of their games since 1992, when obtaining at least 8 explosive plays during a game. Under Gus Malzahn, his win pct has been above 85 percent at the collegiate level.

Keep in mind, the above numbers is just an indicator of the teams Auburn will likely have offensive success but that doesn't translate to victories. Over the past 6 years, Auburn has allowed 9.14 explosive plays per game, so improvement is clearly needed on both sides of the football in 2013.

Thoughts?

So since we gave up 9.14 explosive plays a game what is the win % when Gus's teams get 10?

38-6 but they scored 28.8 PPG in those 6 losses. His record was 20-2 in the SEC with 10 or more explosive plays.

So since we gave up 9.14 explosive plays a game what is the win % when Gus's teams get 10?

38-6 but they scored 28.8 PPG in those 6 losses. His record was 20-2 in the SEC with 10 or more explosive plays.

And the last piece to this puzzle, what was Coach Johnson's teams average explosive plays allowed per game from 2007-2011? (disregarding the USM disaster that was the 2012 season)

And the last piece to this puzzle, what was Coach Johnson's teams average explosive plays allowed per game from 2007-2011? (disregarding the USM disaster that was the 2012 season)

When Ellis Johnson arrived as the DC at South Carolina for the 2008 season, the Gamecocks were No. 90 in this same category the season before Johnson's arrival. Here are the Gamecock's rankings under Ellis Johnson.

2008: 14th

2009: 16th

2010: 18th

2011: 8th

Last season without Johnson as the DC, the Gamecock defense slipped to No. 40 nationally.

His defenses at South Carolina limited the big plays and were very efficient in generating negative plays on opposing offenses.

When Ellis Johnson arrived as the DC at South Carolina for the 2008 season, the Gamecocks were No. 90 in this same category the season before Johnson's arrival. Here are the Gamecock's rankings under Ellis Johnson.

Last season without Johnson as the DC, the Gamecock defense slipped to No. 40 nationally.

His defenses at South Carolina limited the big plays and were very efficient in generating negative plays on opposing offenses.

Cool. I get the feeling you were going to do another thread on that. I apologize if I spoiled your plans. I have a question though. How does a coach who teaches such an attacked D manage to be so efficient on explosive plays? I was going into this year with the mindset because of attacking so much we were going to give up explosive plays but make up for it with turnovers forced.

if not for the Cam show his 2010 defense might have been much better.

I dont miss chiziks cover 2 at all!!! Ready for AU defense again!!!

I LOVE these stats! Very encouraging!

Georgia and LSU lost a significant number of defensive players from last year. I do not think their defenses will be as strong.

Texas A&M did not lose much last year, so I think their defense will be better.

Alabama's defense remains the best in the conference.

Georgia and LSU lost a significant number of defensive players from last year. I do not think their defenses will be as strong.

AtM is best n conference!!

A&M has 4 starters returning on defense.

A&M has 4 starters returning on defense.

They also lost some pretty good o-linemen...

I look for A&M to have a noticable drop off this year. Teams will be ready for JF and their D lost a bunch. I'm not saying they will be awful, just can't see them replicating the past season. Especially losing CC as OC to LSU.

I look for A&M to have a noticable drop off this year. Teams will be ready for JF and their D lost a bunch. I'm not saying they will be awful, just can't see them replicating the past season. Especially losing CC as OC to LSU.

They lost kliff kingsbury to HC at TT as well.

UGA lost a lot, and so did LSU (but LSU will reload with talent that played a good bit.) I think UAT lost the most on defense with 7 players to the NFL, 3 of which were Dlinemen - Square/JesseWilliams/Dial +CJMosely/Johnson/DeeMilliner/Lester. aTm will fall off on defense, they have to retool most of the dline.

OleMiss returns a bunch + they are getting the immediate services of some 5* recruits that will play immediately.

UGA lost a lot, and so did LSU (but LSU will reload with talent that played a good bit.) I think UAT lost the most on defense with 7 players to the NFL, 3 of which were Dlinemen - Square/JesseWilliams/Dial +CJMosely/Johnson/DeeMilliner/Lester. aTm will fall off on defense, they have to retool most of the dline.

OleMiss returns a bunch + they are getting the immediate services of some 5* recruits that will play immediately.

uga did lose a lot off of the D, but that D last year really underachieved. Don't know if it was Grantham or all that talent "counting NFL money" and not putting in the effort/playing not to get hurt. I will not be surprised if the uga D in 2013 is as good as last years (statistically).

wde

They lost kliff kingsbury to HC at TT as well.

That will have little to no affect. That O was sumlin's.

But their schedule is tough so their record will be 5-7 or 6-6

CJ Mosely is still at bama, but they did loose a lot on D and offense. Which kind of reminds me of 2010 when bama was picked to repeat as champions, (same as this yr as well). Here comes Gus with a jr college qb, (sound familiar?) picked at the bottom of sec. Sure hope history repeats itself. Mr. Spot u 24 is back!! This time as head coach, WDE!!!

This will be a fun season no doubt. I think we will compete and have a chance to win every game on the schedule unlike 2012. Gus will bring the "fear of God factor" to the teams we will play this season. The overall playing field for 2013 is a good bit more level than 2012. We play good solid football all season, and we could be in the thick of things all season.

if not for the Cam show his 2010 defense might have been much better.

This

I think Auburn threw like 800+ yards on them alone that season

Archived