The who calls plays debate answered & where Lashlee coaches from

ellitor

AUBURN - Rhett Lashlee doesn't have to guess what his boss will do when the pressure is on. He already knows from years of experience.

When, after three years as Auburn's offensive coordinator, Gus Malzahn left to be head coach at Arkansas State, he snatched Lashlee from Samford to be his offensive coordinator. When Malzahn returned last December to be Auburn's head coach, he quickly hired Lashlee again. Four years earlier, he brought Lashlee to Auburn with him as a graduate assistant.

Though Lashlee is one of the younger coordinators in FBS football, he's a veteran when it comes to working with Malzahn and the offense Malzahn created in a legendary Arkansas high school coaching career. Lashlee played quarterback for Malzahn at Shiloh Christian School in Springdale, Ark., and helped him coach at Arkansas before joining him at Auburn. Last season at Arkansas State, they worked together as head coach and offensive coordinator for the first time.

Malzahn trusts no one more than the he trusts the 29-year-old Lashlee.

"He knows this offense like the back of his hand," Malzahn said. "We work extremely well together. He's battle-tested, even though he's young. We've been through some big games together, and he deserves a lot of credit for our offensive success."

And that's why Lashlee knows what to expect when Auburn opens its season against Washington State on Aug. 31 at Jordan-Hare Stadium. He knows Malzahn will be heavily involved in the offense. He saw at Arkansas State last season.

"He did a great job," Lashlee said. "We got along fine. I think it helped that I'd played for him and worked for him. We know each other well enough that it was kind of easy to predict how each other would respond. You still learn some things because it's a new dynamic, but Coach has to be the head coach first. He has to worry about the offense, defense, special teams. Myself and the staff were able to do the game planning.

"Once we get into the season, it's his offense. He's very involved. We were able as a staff and with him to do it together on game day. We didn't have a clue what to expect about how it would work out, but it worked out very well."

Play-calling, Lashlee said, was a team effort last season and will be a team effort again this season "We do it together," Lashlee said. "So much of what we do is about being in rhythm and all that. Coach is very involved, and so is everybody else. It's never been about just one guy."

Lashlee said he plans to coach from the field. He started last season in the press box, but when Oregon ran away to a 50-10 lead at halftime, he returned to the sideline. The Red Wolves didn't make what would have been the greatest comeback in college football history, but they scored 24 second-half points in losing 57-34.

"I would anticipate he and I will both be on the field," Lashlee said. "That's how we did it last year, other than the first half of the Oregon game. That very quickly changed. After that, everything went a lot better. I personally like being on the sideline if possible. I like being able to look the quarterback in the eye. That's the No. 1 reason, talk to him, be down there with the whole offense when things are good and things are bad. When you are in the box, you feel very different. You can pick up the phone and talk to a guy on a headset, but it's just not the same."

Wide receivers coach Dameyune Craig is the most likely candidate to work from the press box.

"I think having someone like Dameyune, who has played quarterback and been in the box before," Lashlee said Link

Frankly, I would have expected to have Craig on the field given the lack of experience of our receivers and let Gus deal with qb issues. Or maybe have Horton in the booth but we shall see. I'm a bit worried they haven't figured it out yet for sure.

WDE!!

Frankly, I would have expected to have Craig on the field given the lack of experience of our receivers and let Gus deal with qb issues. Or maybe have Horton in the booth but we shall see. I'm a bit worried they haven't figured it out yet for sure.

WDE!!

Don't be. Gus is very detailed on everything offense including WRs. Now that he has complete control of the O the WRs will be very prepared before gamedays.

I'm extremely happy that Gus will be involved in play calling. What would be the point of getting him and his great offensive mind to Auburn if he just delegates it to somebody else? He got this job because of his offensive genius.

I'm extremely happy that Gus will be involved in play calling. What would be the point of getting him and his great offensive mind to Auburn if he just delegates it to somebody else? He got this job because of his offensive genius.

Sounds to me he probably deligates it some to Lashlee.

WDE!!

kodi will fit in somewhere too.

Who will be on the sideline waving towels then? Kidding...

Glad they will both be on the sidelines and I feel that Lashlee knows AU & the offense well and will be ready come game 1.

I think there is a ton of upside with Dameyune in the box. It makes a lot of sense to me with him being a former QB and also wanting to expand his offensive coaching horizons/abilities. It would seem that either DC or Rhett needs to be up there to relay info down while the other confers with Gus.

The litmus test has to be: Who can bench press the most? What other criteria is their in life to consider when making personnel decisions? Sheesh!

Whatever CGM decides will work for me. I hate to admit it and I realize this may be a surprise to some and be dissillusional to many but CGM knows more about football than I do. No...he really does, I swear!

WDE!!

Don't be. Gus is very detailed on everything offense including WRs. Now that he has complete control of the O the WRs will be very prepared before gamedays.

No doubt about that in my mind. If there's anything that I'm NOT worried about it is GM's attention to details. I am quite comfortable with the idea that all the operations details will be worked out completely, prior to game 1.

WDE!!

Also, don't forget that at Arky in 2006, Gus was the OC and the WR coach. The man knows how to coach WRs. and QBs... and RBs.... And H-Bs....... oh yeah, and OLs...

For some weird reason, Chizik was a great DC but as a HC he had TERRIBLE defenses. I am pretty confident that under Gustav that Auburn will not have a poor offense. And that makes me incredibly happy haha

Well if our offense struggles next year it won't be from lack of attention. 2 OCs and an offensive minded head coach should just about cover it!

Its funny the different approaches people bring to a head coaching job. Chizik was more of the CEO type with his hands in everywhere and Gus has pretty much said form the get go that the offense is his and the defense belongs to CEJ. I think both types can be successfull in the right circumstances, just interesting seeing two guys take completely different approaches to the same job.

Well if our offense struggles next year it won't be from lack of attention. 2 OCs and an offensive minded head coach should just about cover it!

Its funny the different approaches people bring to a head coaching job. Chizik was more of the CEO type with his hands in everywhere and Gus has pretty much said form the get go that the offense is his and the defense belongs to CEJ. I think both types can be successfull in the right circumstances, just interesting seeing two guys take completely different approaches to the same job.

IMO Chizik was more of a micro-manager than a CEO, but I agree with your assessment of Gus's style.

WDE!!

Also, don't forget that at Arky in 2006, Gus was the OC and the WR coach. The man knows how to coach WRs. and QBs... and RBs.... And H-Bs....... oh yeah, and OLs...

And he played WR in college so yes he knows the position well.

IMO Chizik was more of a micro-manager than a CEO, but I agree with your assessment of Gus's style.

Micro-managers are known to be successfull at a high level too. I can't think of a few coaches that are in control of every single facet of their team and the entire program, they control the whole deal and they get the job done. I can think of others that are great at delegating duties, overseeing plans, and they get the job done as well. Different strokes for different folks.

I remember praising Chizik for his millitary style to details, I felt like he had his pulse on everything within the program, had everything under control...... Had a good head on his shoulders for hiring a top notch staff, etc. etc. etc.....

Bottom line, to me, is that Malzahn is doing exactly what I hoped he'd do: Hire offensive coaches that would work effectively as cogs in the offensive system Gus invented, mastered, and will drive--Rhett Lashlee being the largest of those cogs, but also the one with the most experience in the Gus Machine. Then hire a skilled, experienced defensive staff with proven coaches like Ellis Johnson, Charlie Harbison, Melvin Smith, Rodney Gardner--coaches who know what to do on defense and how to win--then trust them to drive it. Might take more than one year for the convoy to hit top gear, and perhaps require recruiting a little more horsepower, but when it gets into overdrive it will be a thing of beauty!

Bottom line, to me, is that Malzahn is doing exactly what I hoped he'd do: Hire offensive coaches that would work effectively as cogs in the offensive system Gus invented, mastered, and will drive--Rhett Lashlee being the largest of those cogs, but also the one with the most experience in the Gus Machine. Then hire a skilled, experienced defensive staff with proven coaches like Ellis Johnson, Charlie Harbison, Melvin Smith, Rodney Gardner--coaches who know what to do on defense and how to win--then trust them to drive it. Might take more than one year for the convoy to hit top gear, and perhaps require recruiting a little more horsepower, but when it gets into overdrive it will be a thing of beauty!

It's 1 step further than that on D. Gus has an attacking philosophy on D to compliment his O and hired D personnel to fit that philosphy.

Being Malzahn's O coordinator for 1 year hardly makes Lashlee a "veteran" at Gus system/ideology/mindsets. And grad assistants basically shag balls and are sleeping in when the substantive coaching meetings are happening Sunday morning. Maybe in a couple more years Lashlee can have the reigns more...and he's certainly on track to be a good one...but this article's a bit naive assuming any nuanced offensive system in this day & age has anything like one guy making the calls. Even great, proven coordinators like Norm Chow transformed to O by committee a decade ago.

Being Malzahn's O coordinator for 1 year hardly makes Lashlee a "veteran" at Gus system/ideology/mindsets. And grad assistants basically shag balls and are sleeping in when the substantive coaching meetings are happening Sunday morning. Maybe in a couple more years Lashlee can have the reigns more...and he's certainly on track to be a good one...but this article's a bit naive assuming any nuanced offensive system in this day & age has anything like one guy making the calls. Even great, proven coordinators like Norm Chow transformed to O by committee a decade ago.

Narrowing it down to Lashlee having 1 year under Gus as OC is grossly misleading. Rhett has worked under Gus for the last 15 years. He is arguably the 3rd most knowledgeable coach on the power HUHN in all of college football behind Gus and Chad Morris.

Micro-managers are known to be successfull at a high level too. I can't think of a few coaches that are in control of every single facet of their team and the entire program, they control the whole deal and they get the job done. I can think of others that are great at delegating duties, overseeing plans, and they get the job done as well. Different strokes for different folks.

I remember praising Chizik for his millitary style to details, I felt like he had his pulse on everything within the program, had everything under control...... Had a good head on his shoulders for hiring a top notch staff, etc. etc. etc.....

I remember praising Chiz in the beginning for what I thought was attention to details and discipline. Then, something happened. He'd line the helmets up a certain way, but needed to farm out help for curfew. Seemed to get the small things but miss the bigger picture. I don't have that 'rails off the track" feeling with Gus fortunately. That was getting old.

Narrowing it down to Lashlee having 1 year under Gus as OC is grossly misleading. Rhett has worked under Gus for the last 15 years.

That's where I was coming from...not just one year as OC. But even one year as OC under Malzahn is still the most experience under Gus of the offensive cogs.

Do you have any knowledge of Malzhan/Lashlee's history together?

Malzhan & Lashlee are green in their current coaching positions, but those fella's have been all but attached at the hip for over a dozen years.

There will be stretches in some games where the offense may struggle. However, unlike like last season, and probably the season before that, we have a coaching staff that will be able to find ways to make the offense click while it is in a period of slumps that will happen here and there throughout the season. I think our defense will do a much better job with stopping the opposition than in seasons past. This in turn will give the offense its best chance to win the small battles throughout each game even when dealing with a brief slump during any game of the season.

Archived