2016 4* QB Jawon Pass (Louisville commit)

Austintxtiger

If Pass signs with AU, maybe coach Malzahn will let him wear #2.

#1 is my guess since Duke is a senior.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont think #2 will ever be worn again.

If a hot shot recruit asks for it, and deserves it, I think he'll get it. Cam was only here 1 year so his #2 is up for grabs IMO.

If a hot shot recruit asks for it, and deserves it, I think he'll get it. Cam was only here 1 year so his #2 is up for grabs IMO.

Why does it matter if he was "only" here a year? Heisman? Check. National title? Check. JMO, but I doubt the folks who decide who gets what number consider it "up for grabs". WDE.

Yea, its what you did not how long you are here. Cam revitalized the program and now he is back finishing and helping celebrate it. He is an ambassador of AU. #2 is not up for grabs. It may not yet be retired, but it is definitely on hold.

Why does it matter if he was "only" here a year? Heisman? Check. National title? Check. JMO, but I doubt the folks who decide who gets what number consider it "up for grabs". WDE.

I just think if you are to have your number retired you need to be more in the mode of Sullivan & Beasley. Not to say the player needs to stay 4 years, but 1 year is just too little, regardless of the accomplishments. Like Barkley said in the 30/30 segment, Cam only played 14 games so no way he can beat out Frank Thomas for the 3rd spot of All Time Tigers.

I just think if you are to have your number retired you need to be more in the mode of Sullivan & Beasley. Not to say the player needs to stay 4 years, but 1 year is just too little, regardless of the accomplishments. Like Barkley said in the 30/30 segment, Cam only played 14 games so no way he can beat out Frank Thomas for the 3rd spot of All Time Tigers.

I think Barkley said it in jest as he was defending his spot as one of the all time greats. Cam changed the program the way Bo did. The effect is still being felt 5 years later. Cam took us to a level I really never thought we would get to. Now I expect us in the running every year.

Programs frequently ask their greats if they mind a player wearing their number before it's retired and it's not unusual for the number to get more mileage. Jim Brown's #44 @Syracuse, several Heisman winners numbers at Notre Dame, etc etc. The number iselfgets an aura ad te player getting I rries responsibility goes the logic.

fwiw, Bo & Cam are 2 greats for the ages but our program before Bo came was in way deeper mediocrity than when Cam arrived. And as Dye says us, Bo gave us hope against the Bama (& NCAA blindness) whereas we'd beaten

Bama 8 out of the last 10 when Cam arrived.

If a player can step up and help us win an SEC and national championship, I don't care if he's a one and done player like Cam was.

If a player can step up and help us win an SEC and national championship, I don't care if he's a one and done player like Cam was.

Sounds like the UK basketball motto

Sounds like the UK basketball motto

Yep. Duke too....power houses, hope we can get on that level

I want Pass. He has a huge upside.

You didn't want Pass in the beginning.

My goals were higher earlier in the process. I originally wanted Sean Patterson, and still would but that ship has sailed.

My goals were higher earlier in the process. I originally wanted Sean Patterson, and still would but that ship has sailed.

I think it's safe to say that most that follow recruiting closely are on the Pass boat now.

I totally agree. BTW, is coach Malzahn only wanting to sign 1 QB?

It greatly depend on if JJ goes pro or not.

well how is that going to work out? By the time JJ hypothetically decides, are we going to go after another Johnathan Wallace only because he is best available lol.

I think it's safe to say that most that follow recruiting closely are on the Pass boat now.

Not sure what my hang up is, But I am slow to get on this bandwagon. He was/is my top 3, but from a highlight vid only, I had Barrett as my top target.

well how is that going to work out? By the time JJ hypothetically decides, are we going to go after another Johnathan Wallace only because he is best available lol.

The staff will have a pulse on what is going on before JJ goes public w/ a decision & will recruit appropriately.

Not sure what my hang up is, But I am slow to get on this bandwagon. He was/is my top 3, but from a highlight vid only, I had Barrett as my top target.

He definitely has big boom or bust potential a la Frazier & Burns. Let's hope if we land him we cultivate the boom out of him.

And before anyone gets on my behind about my last statement, make no mistake about it, I love Kiehl & Kodi as AU men but they were empirically busts as a high 4 & 5* QBs respectively.

He definitely has big boom or bust potential a la Frazier & Burns. Let's hope if we land him we cultivate the boom out of him.

And before anyone gets on my behind about my last statement, make no mistake about it, I love Kiehl & Kodi as AU men but they were empirically busts as a high 4 & 5* QBs respectively.

Thanks E. Maybe that is it. Still so raw.

The staff will have a pulse on what is going on before JJ goes public w/ a decision & will recruit appropriately.

Still, I read somewhere that 7 of the top ten quarterbacks are already committed elsewhere. I can only imagine many more will be off the board by the fall when JJ is building up his case for the NFL.

Archived