55th in total offense, 92nd in total defense

DyeHardAllTheWay

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this was 2008, you guys would be furious and demanding we fire Paul Rhoads. I just can't believe how bad our defense has been allowed to get, and how low our expectations are for them, especially if we're only concerned about points. What happens when LSU gets that 3rd and 2 that MSU couldn't? What happens when JFF runs wild on our defense? Then points become a problem, and it's a different excuse. I'm tired of soft, bend but not break defense. Give me tough, swarm to the ball defense that is our trademark, or WAS.

It's not 2008, and this team is better than last season. The defense has been an issue since the beginning of the 2011 season. It takes time. I guess I'm just a bit more patient.

If this was 2008, you guys would be furious and demanding we fire Paul Rhoads. I just can't believe how bad our defense has been allowed to get, and how low our expectations are for them, especially if we're only concerned about points. What happens when LSU gets that 3rd and 2 that MSU couldn't? What happens when JFF runs wild on our defense? Then points become a problem, and it's a different excuse. I'm tired of soft, bend but not break defense. Give me tough, swarm to the ball defense that is our trademark, or WAS.

I honestly don't think we have the players for that at the moment. I would love to see it and hopefully we can recruit the players to make it happen. It's a process and we all had better have patience.

You won't get that in just one season, I assure you that.

The game has changed drastically. Offenses are high flying. Texas A&M put up the most points bama has allowed since 03. Saban builds the best D on the planet right now day I and day out. Chavis is right there with him. We ran all over LSU and caused them to give up more rushing yards then the school has ever allowed.

The days of holding opponents to no yards and points are going away.

As more and more hunh offenses kick on the rankings and stats defensively will be altered drastically.

Most people aren't saying those other things don't matter, just that there is no defensive stat more important than scoring defense. As an example, in Auburn's history going all the way back to 1892, we had never given up 300 points and we just did that in each of the last 4 years. I want us to be #1 in rushing defense and #1 in passing defense but the most important thing we have to do right now is get back to solid scoring defenses again.

Jf will run wild on ANYONE. That offense can't be stopped you have to out score... and like I've said a bazillion times if we get better on 3rd down constantly then those yards given up will decrease... thats just common sense

If you watched A&M's game yesterday against bama you noticed a team whose defense looked a great deal like AU's last year. When you score over 40 points and out up over 500 yards offense and lose, you've got big time problems on defense.

Does it make you feel any better than Bama is 86th in total D :jossun:

Yeah, that does help ;):big:

Hate to say it, but our D is a "D" defense. We give up over 400 yards and 4 yard average per play to our opponents. And what powerhouses have we played?

Bama's is low due to A&M game. If we do as well as Bama did against A&M, that would be well, a MIRACLE.

I would take it all day!!

Our defense is able to make excellent adjustments at half and allow our offense to do "just enough" to win the game. That alone is a HUGE improvement from last season. I'm hoping by mid season our first half defense will be like our second half defense in terms of performance.

And what are we ranked as far as points scored and scored against? ....ultimately that's all that matters

Not necessarily. The total stats are the best indication of the overall coaching.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. These concrete assertions that people make on this forum based on some random piece of information that are not considered in context with other data points is absurd.

I do not see a whole lot of points being scored in total for the Lsu game. I think the total combined for both teams will be approximately 29. I see a defensive battle from start until finish. I think we will come out on top 17-12. I do not really take too much stock in stats. Stats are numbers and nothing more. The only stat that really matters is the total number of points scored each game that favors Auburn.

I dont think anyone mistakes AU for world-beaters. We arent a great team right now...with the Miss St win, we should get to a bowl game. The question isnt how good we are right now but how much we improve as the season progresses. We have gotten better each game and may just be a force to be reckoned with come November. Im proud of this team so far, you can tell they are giving it everything theyve got.

In the end it really only matters when you're down by 3 and get that last chance with time running low, you first get into field goal range and second worry about the endzone. Mission accomplished on both accounts.

Anyone expecting a top-20 defense this season by Auburn was on crack. The defense has improved in so many aspects compared to 2012. If you don't see that, you either have not been paying attention or you don't know much about football. of course if you're on crack, that would explain everything. Auburn still has talent and depth issues, which won't be corrected in one season and certainly not this season. The key this season is whether or not the coaches are getting the most of their personnel.

Anyone expecting a top-20 defense this season by Auburn was on crack. The defense has improved in so many aspects compared to 2012. If you don't see that, you either have not been paying attention or you don't know much about football. of course if you're on crack, that would explain everything. Auburn still has talent and depth issues, which won't be corrected in one season and certainly not this season. The key this season is whether or not the coaches are getting the most of their personnel.

Why do we continue to have depth issues if we continue to have top 10 recruiting classes?

Archived