Coach Dye may really need to be put to pasture now

Charleston Tiger

Wow. I can't believe how many people are willing to accept a tweet as the unchallenged truth.

It's scary.

Perception is reality. It doesn't matter if WE believe it. Everyone else believes it. And it comes from a respected reporter about a coach who is known for saying off-the-wall things.

And that is scary.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kiehl Frazier ‏@kiehlfrazier25

Pretty sure Pat Dye was talking about Clint and I, not Jonathan. Jonathan did the best he could in a bad situation.

While everyone may be requesting a direct quote from Dye (and I would like to see one myself), the fact that it apparently reached KF enough to tweet about it puts the ball in Dye's court to make it right. At this point, Dye owes them either an explanation of how it was taken out of context, or an apology for publicly insulting Auburn men that suited up and took the field.

I agree with that.

Kiehl Frazier ‏@kiehlfrazier25

Pretty sure Pat Dye was talking about Clint and I, not Jonathan. Jonathan did the best he could in a bad situation.

While everyone may be requesting a direct quote from Dye (and I would like to see one myself), the fact that it apparently reached KF enough to tweet about it puts the ball in Dye's court to make it right. At this point, Dye owes them either an explanation of how it was taken out of context, or an apology for publicly insulting Auburn men that suited up and took the field.

He owes them nothing of the sort if this jacktard took his quote and twisted it. so until we see a direct quote you can not demand that of CPD.

In that case, he has an clear obligation to clarify things IMO.

I think Coach Dye did the right thing as well and I think Frazier and Wallace did the best they could. I also see Clint on a 4th & goal going to the ground untouched into the fetal position (fearing the hit) in the Iron Bowl two years ago. I think that is what Dye was probably thinking about. That was a sight I thought I would never see any Auburn QB do and especially in that game.

War Eagle !

Coach Dye did a lot for Auburn, and we got screwed in '83...(just like in '04). But we'd be better off if the school paid Dye not to talk, instead of his public drunkeness and moronic comments. Dye was a thorn for Bowden and Tuberville, and surely a nuisance for Chizik, if for no other reason than his reassurance of Chizik's bad choices. If we can fire a coach two years after he wins a national championship, we can get Pat Dye to talk less.

Why don't you ride out to his farm and have a talk with him?

thumb_smiley-vault-signs-067.gif

I like Coach Dye and wish him well. He has earned the right to spend his retirement as he wishes. He has strong opinions, but they deserve to be heard. Pat Dye was great coach and knows a bit about turning around a moribund football program. Give him a break.

The only thing is this: you don't want to be airing your opinions to take anything--attention, morale, ganas, positive press, etc.--away from the beauty of a real turnaround in action. GUS and staff are the ones "who deserve to be heard."

These young men were put in a very bad situation. Pat Dye has done a lot of wonderful things for Auburn. Coach, the past 2 years have not reflected favorably on you. Kudos to Frazier and his step-father for taking the high road, class acts all the way.

These young men were put in a very bad situation. Pat Dye has done a lot of wonderful things for Auburn. Coach, the past 2 years have not reflected favorably on you. Kudos to Frazier and his step-father for taking the high road, class acts all the way.

Plus ONE ! We all know Coach Dye has done a lot for AU. Now it is time for him to do two last things, publically apologize and then be quiet. :-\

People even try to make this right....smh. Dye needs to sit down and shut up. If he's not going to help build he should just sit back and not help destroy

Dye told Scarbinsky last pm that he had talked to Frazier and would not make any further comment. Dye told the small group he was talking to when he made the comment that his remarks were off the record.

Off the record....ok now I understand, it's ok then....

"Off the record" are sacred words to a reporter. It's part of how they get people to talk. Breaking that is a serious breach of journalistic ethics.

That said, anyone in Dye's position should always assume that a public speech or comments in a public venue are going to be recorded and reported on.

A

I don't think anyone pays attention to that man honestly.

Starting to decrease the rep of Auburn amongst the national folks though.

Let's not forget towards the end of 2012 when we said the main reason for Chizik switching to Pro (other than the Defense) was a push from a certain former coach.

AL.com Listens to him

Off the record....ok now I understand, it's ok then....

Didn't say it was ok. Off the record is a private opinion and has an element of trust to those who listen. They are still Coach Dye's words. How he intended them was not meant for the public. The point of off the record is that we wouldn't be having this discussion today if it had been honored. Doesn't change his opinions. It only changes others opinion of him and fuels controversy. It was sniped as a headline and nothing more.

On the record, off the record....doesn't matter. Those guys were put in a horrible situation last year.....and we have MOVED ON. To call them "cowards" is just, well, apprehensible. THEY ARE STILL KIDS.

I'm ashamed of Coach Dye, I don't care what he did in the past. This ain't the past. Just because he put AU on the map doesn't give him the right to go out and spew crap like this.

As much as i appreciate all that CPD means to Auburn football, I am really tired of his disappointing commentary. Dayum dude...put a sock in it!

Wait a minute. I tried to say not to take everything he says as gold and you cried for a week

At the time he had not stepped this far over the line IMO. After all, this is an opinion forum. Then I disagreed, now, not so much.

To be called out for cowardly play is different than being a coward. It was his assessment of performance. Nobody is going to go and get dueling pistols and have a face off between Coach Dye and last years quarterbacks. If you don't think well of Coach Dye that is your opinion. He has talked to and coached more college players than anyone on this site. College players are the kids of parents and fans, but they become young men when they step on the field. If the worst embarrassment and rile someone can find against Coach Dye are these comments then it stands as an indictment against anyone who post different opinions. This entire thread is from the one sentence tweet of a reporter with no context. These are my opinions and nothing more.

A lot of interesting insight here from Evan Woodberry, who you'll remember is a former AU and current UT beat writer:

But we asked Gage Arnold, our intern who was covering the event, to transcribe the full passage from Dye’s comments.

“We had two last year — Mr. Footballs….Cut that thing off a minute… (laughter)…You got it off?”

(Dye is speaking to a TV reporter with a camera in the back of the room.)

“We had two last year and they both were cowards. Cowards. How can you win with a coward at quarterback? Now one of them might have been a coward mentally, and there’s a difference between being a coward mentally and a coward physically. If you’re a coward physically you’ve got no chance to overcome that, but you can grow up from being a coward mentally. But it didn’t happen so we had no chance.”

http://knoxblogs.com...arterback-2012/

To be called out for cowardly play is different than being a coward. It was his assessment of performance. Nobody is going to go and get dueling pistols and have a face off between Coach Dye and last years quarterbacks. If you don't think well of Coach Dye that is your opinion. He has talked to and coached more college players than anyone on this site. College players are the kids of parents and fans, but they become young men when they step on the field. If the worst embarrassment and rile someone can find against Coach Dye are these comments then it stands as an indictment against anyone who post different opinions. This entire thread is from the one sentence tweet of a reporter with no context. These are my opinions and nothing more.

Think you are parsing words here. He said it and knowing Coach Dye he meant exactly what he said. Obviously did not want it on the record. Coach Dye has earned the right to speak his mind. However, you cannot be a representative of a state university and speak ugly of their student atheletes. Even if the trio had committed a felony, I expect CPD to use good judgement in his public statements. AU stood by CPD when he faced the fire, kept him whole financially when his health was in jeopardy. Now he is running around the country picking up handsome speaking fees because of his association with AU calling a young man a coward who went to the coaching staff and said he would do anything to help the team, he is not leaving and he loves AU.

Coach Pat Dye created the modern history of AU football and slayed the dragon across the state. I have his signature proudly hanging in my study. But make no mistake, frequently he is a world class jerk. Nobody is perfect. I'd tell him to make a public apology or remove his name from the stadium.

Little doc

A lot of interesting insight here from Evan Woodberry, who you'll remember is a former AU and current UT beat writer:

But we asked Gage Arnold, our intern who was covering the event, to transcribe the full passage from Dye’s comments.

“We had two last year — Mr. Footballs….Cut that thing off a minute… (laughter)…You got it off?”

(Dye is speaking to a TV reporter with a camera in the back of the room.)

“We had two last year and they both were cowards. Cowards. How can you win with a coward at quarterback? Now one of them might have been a coward mentally, and there’s a difference between being a coward mentally and a coward physically. If you’re a coward physically you’ve got no chance to overcome that, but you can grow up from being a coward mentally. But it didn’t happen so we had no chance.”

http://knoxblogs.com...arterback-2012/

wow, how many people was this spoken too. its hard to disagree with his opinion but to say this in a large group is very weird.

Calling players cowardly is mild compared to what Auburn fans have said about the same players on public forums. At least Pat Dye knows what he is talking about. Having been a student at Auburn during the Doug Barfield years, I appreciate Coach Dye's accomplishments and what he did for Auburn. And, now, I appreciate his honesty. Auburn folk have been asking for months what went wrong with last year's team. Why did they seem to give up in games and subject themselves to record-breaking blowout losses. Chizik was part of the problem. Gus cannot go there. Pat Dye was a front row observer and has the background and moxie to speak out. I appreciate his honesty. Get off his back.

Calling players cowardly is mild compared to what Auburn fans have said about the same players on public forums. At least Pat Dye knows what he is talking about. Having been a student at Auburn during the Doug Barfield years, I appreciate Coach Dye's accomplishments and what he did for Auburn. And, now, I appreciate his honesty. Auburn folk have been asking for months what went wrong with last year's team. Why did they seem to give up in games and subject themselves to record-breaking blowout losses. Chizik was part of the problem. Gus cannot go there. Pat Dye was a front row observer and has the background and moxie to speak out. I appreciate his honesty. Get off his back.

:cool:

So that's what went wrong? Last year was bad because 2 guys that played qb were cowards? He could run somebody over and some of you would be like why was so and so crossing the street in the first place?

The fact that Dye thought his comments would be off the record is telling. He knew that it would not be good for those comments to become known publicly, but he said them anyway.

Here is a truth. Dye is tarnishing his legacy. He is an Auburn icon, and I want folks to have wonderful memories of him. But he simply has to stop making incendiary comments.

There is a big difference between what anyone says here, and what Pat Dye says. No media outlet of any sort is ever going to quote posts here as an authority. No one is going to consider posters here as representatives or "ambassadors" of Auburn. No player is going to read criticism here and do anything other than laugh about it, and perhaps question the intelligence of their fans. The guy that coached Bo Jackson though? He speaks from a completely different position, both to players or anyone else that is listening. His continually close relationship with Auburn and the football program (the whole field being named after him thing, for example) means that his commentary carries weight. There is nothing wrong with him speaking out, but one of the two he was likely referring to is still on the roster. That's not productive commentary, it's embarrassing. Gus should not have to respond to anything that Pat Dye is saying in front of media representatives, regardless of how true it may be. It's not good public relations, it makes us look like a bunch of fools when a former coach that resigned under controversy is making statements like this while still so closely associated with us.

Archived