2015 4* LB Darrell Williams commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

War Eagle, Mr. Williams! Welcome to our Family! Nice get. 4 star LB from the States best program.

The story of his UA offer is pretty revealing of their strategy. DW was conditionally offered by UA and if he came in to camp and beat out the higher ranking LB's then he would have an offer. This says to me that UA's philosophy is to just get the best player period. Coaching is not a premium, just recruit the best. This is why offers disappear for some long standing recruits when UA finds "better" recruits(i.e. Philon). This is why the "processing" of players seems so evident. When you're older and not developing, then younger players can beat you out for your scholarship. If a younger player beats an established player that say as much about your coaching as it does the newcomers skill set. The older player becomes expendable and isn't worth the time and effort anymore. This is why there was a sense of entitlement among younger players. The mentality is we come in better.

AU on the other hand said although there are some recruits higher on our board we want you because wesee how you fit in the vision. We genuinely care about you. You as a person, you as student, and you as a football player. You are family when you come here. I believe DW sees the value of a good coach, mentor, leader, and vision.

WDE Darrell!!!

Williams and Williams at LB sounds good to me.

Like A&T Williams in 2004. Sounds good to me.

The story of his UA offer is pretty revealing of their strategy. DW was conditionally offered by UA and if he came in to camp and beat out the higher ranking LB's then he would have an offer. This says to me that UA's philosophy is to just get the best player period. Coaching is not a premium, just recruit the best. This is why offers disappear for some long standing recruits when UA finds "better" recruits(i.e. Philon). This is why the "processing" of players seems so evident. When you're older and not developing, then younger players can beat you out for your scholarship. If a younger player beats an established player that say as much about your coaching as it does the newcomers skill set. The older player becomes expendable and isn't worth the time and effort anymore. This is why there was a sense of entitlement among younger players. The mentality is we come in better.

AU on the other hand said although there are some recruits higher on our board we want you because wesee how you fit in the vision. We genuinely care about you. You as a person, you as student, and you as a football player. You are family when you come here. I believe DW sees the value of a good coach, mentor, leader, and vision.

WDE Darrell!!!

This is simply not true on the development part. You don't win 3 nattys in 4 years on talent alone. They are good at developing talent at the college level. We were getting talent under Chiz not much behind them but since Chiz truly does not believe in developing players we fell flat on our facw in 2012. Make no mistake about it, Bama's staff is good at developing talent but our staff now is great at it and will be the difference in the 2 teams as long as our current staff stays.

WDE Darrell!!!

This is simply not true on the development part. You don't win 3 nattys in 4 years on talent alone. They are good at developing talent at the college level. We were getting talent under Chiz not much behind them but since Chiz truly does not believe in developing players we fell flat on our facw in 2012. Make no mistake about it, Bama's staff is good at developing talent but our staff now is great at it and will be the difference in the 2 teams as long as our current staff stays.

Agreed Ellitor. Pretty crazy things being shared on this thread.

WDE Darrell!!!

Agreed Ellitor. Pretty crazy things being shared on this thread.

Didn't mean it as crazy but just my perspective. I also didn't say they don't do any development. I said Coaching is not the premium. The premium is on recruiting. To me this explains why there seems to be a sense that UA players go to the NFL not as developed as they seem in college. It is only an opinion.

MLB?

OLB

This translates to Will in our defense right? I don't really see our defense as having OLBs.

Somewhere Mikey is rejoicing

:-\ 4-4-5, right?

Back to Williams... War Eagle, Darrell!

:thumbsup: Good start! One LB down, three to go and we'll be about where we need to be this year.

MLB?

OLB

This translates to Will in our defense right? I don't really see our defense as having OLBs.

Will is an OLB.

Kid has good size...needs to put on more weight but once he gets with Coach Russell that's a given...Welcome to the fam Darrell...WAR EAGLE!!!

Why dues he need more weight at 235 lbs?

MLB?

OLB

Will is an OLB.

Really? What are you basing that on? I always just considered any LB who lines up inside the tackle box to be a MLB and outside the tackle box to be a OLB. However if you use the terms based on responsibilities then I could see how terms would differ. But as far as i'm aware (haven't looked real close) both our traditional LBs line up inside the tackle box in most formations.

Back on topic, a good article is up on al.com ...

Auburn got itself the best linebacker in the state of Alabama when Hoover's Darrell Williams verbally committed Wednesday morning.

Auburn beat out in-state rival Alabama and Big 12 power Oklahoma for the 6-foot-3, 223-pound outside linebacker. Landing Williams is a big deal for Gus Malzahn and Co. because of Williams' skills and versatility.

"He's big, he's still growing into his frame and he's a kid you can move around at the next level from outside, to inside, to rushing the quarterback," said Chad Simmons, a national recruiting analyst for Scout.com. "People look at him as a potential rush guy off the edge. He moves well and pursues the ball well.

"Auburn can use him in multiple spots in their scheme."

"He has a good frame, but I think he can get better at tackling through the opponent and becoming more of a thumper," Simmons said. "He's a guy that looks the part, but his foot quickness and overall strength can definitely be improved upon."

http://www.al.com/sp...in_new_com.html

Back on topic, a good article is up on al.com ...

Auburn got itself the best linebacker in the state of Alabama when Hoover's Darrell Williams verbally committed Wednesday morning.

Auburn beat out in-state rival Alabama and Big 12 power Oklahoma for the 6-foot-3, 223-pound outside linebacker. Landing Williams is a big deal for Gus Malzahn and Co. because of Williams' skills and versatility.

"He's big, he's still growing into his frame and he's a kid you can move around at the next level from outside, to inside, to rushing the quarterback," said Chad Simmons, a national recruiting analyst for Scout.com. "People look at him as a potential rush guy off the edge. He moves well and pursues the ball well.

"Auburn can use him in multiple spots in their scheme."

"He has a good frame, but I think he can get better at tackling through the opponent and becoming more of a thumper," Simmons said. "He's a guy that looks the part, but his foot quickness and overall strength can definitely be improved upon."

http://www.al.com/sp...in_new_com.html

Nice. I like his size. I also liked the pics of him hanging out with our coaches. I think he really likes the staff.

Kid has good size...needs to put on more weight but once he gets with Coach Russell that's a given...Welcome to the fam Darrell...WAR EAGLE!!!

Rivals had him at 205 but i see al.com has him at 223...either way welcome to the family

MLB?

OLB

Will is an OLB.

Really? What are you basing that on? I always just considered any LB who lines up inside the tackle box to be a MLB and outside the tackle box to be a OLB. However if you use the terms based on responsibilities then I could see how terms would differ. But as far as i'm aware (haven't looked real close) both our traditional LBs line up inside the tackle box in most formations.

A Will LB is an OLB in in a 4-3, or a 4-2 D. It's a ILB in a 3-4 D. It's been a year or so since I read the interview on it from CEJ but he said the Will in our system has the same responsibilities as a Will in a 4-3 system, be good at both against the run and in coverage versus RBs and TEs. The Mike is your primary run stopper.

Archived