4 star OG/OT Braden Smith

EagleDamnWar

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if this is all a result of my suggestion of playing DE, I do see the humor in what you all are doing, but he did play on the D-line is HS as well. I thought it was a reasonable suggestion. Oh well.

Don't take it personal. I think everyone is just having fun with this because of how big and in shape he is. Honestly I probably started it as much as anyone else suggesting he should report as eligible in the red zone

if this is all a result of my suggestion of playing DE, I do see the humor in what you all are doing, but he did play on the D-line is HS as well. I thought it was a reasonable suggestion. Oh well.

You weren't the only one. He possesses a rare combination of quickness, size, athleticism and obvious strength that is often seen in a premier defensive linemen too. It makes you want to at least see what he could do there as a Freshmen.

He is going to be something special on the OL but you have these "visions" of Braden on the DL throwing around offensive linemen like they were nothing. The only problem a coach would have doing that is trying to go through JB Grimes to get him, lol.

I lift 16oz one time. It gets lighter after that.

Takes you more than one lift? ?

With all that athleticism Braden needs to be on the field somewhere this fall. I think Coach said Smith will play early. And if he turns out to be as good as we think, he won't be around for 5 years so redshirting to get bigger and stronger is a waste.

With all that athleticism Braden needs to be on the field somewhere this fall. I think Coach said Smith will play early. And if he turns out to be as good as we think, he won't be around for 5 years so redshirting to get bigger and stronger is a waste.

I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, but the last signee I saw this much hype about was Ladarious Phillips and he would have had a better chance of starting at UAB than Auburn.

Robinson needed a redshirt year. Miller and Young would have benefited from redshirting. Let's get Smith on campus before we hand him dual starting roles at D-end and H-back or O-tackle, depending on which one he chooses to take away from returning players.

he's already physically ready to compete in the SEC so a RS will do no good physically. But mentally is another story. We'll know more once fall hits.

he's already physically ready to compete in the SEC so a RS will do no good physically. But mentally is another story. We'll know more once fall hits.

Being physically read is only part of the requirements. He hasn't been going up against all world competition in HS in Kansas and probably doesn't really know how to play technique wise just yet. If he surprises me, all the better but i don't think he will.

ala Carl, think he could see the field as a frosh, but so did Patrick Miller. Could work on either side of the ball in the 2 deep rotation. No worries, I didn't take the jokes personally. I just didn't want to be responsible for a hijack. :-/

ala Carl, think he could see the field as a frosh, but so did Patrick Miller. Could work on either side of the ball in the 2 deep rotation. No worries, I didn't take the jokes personally. I just didn't want to be responsible for a hijack. :-/

Oh, man, could you imagine him hijacking a train? he's huge! Everyone would just give up their money! :Sing:

Yep, Patrick Miller did see the field as a freshman but its all relative. Auburn's o-line wasn't stacked 2 deep at ever position with the gifted players like it is now.

I'm always in favor or red shirting these linemen. Kozan for example.....what a difference the year made for him. A year of physical and mental fine-tuning is important...especially if we are not forced to push him into the line-up.

Robinson was physically ready as a TFr but only redshirted because of an injury. We ended up only getting 2 years out of him. Smith is also physically ready as a TFr so we might as well get him some playing time. If he picks up the mental aspects and ends up being good enough to declare early, at least we will get 3 years out of him on the field.

Getting used to academics, learning the playbook, and developing chemistry with your fellow offensive lineman is a tall order for a true freshman. I think he will be a force in 2016. Missing out on practicing with the o-line for a year at another position would be a mistake.

The guy is definitely a physical specimen, but does he have the attitude to play on the line?

What?

The guy is definitely a physical specimen, but does he have the attitude to play on the line?

He is definitely not the look like Tarzan, play like Jane type.

I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, but the last signee I saw this much hype about was Ladarious Phillips and he would have had a better chance of starting at UAB than Auburn.

Robinson needed a redshirt year. Miller and Young would have benefited from redshirting. Let's get Smith on campus before we hand him dual starting roles at D-end and H-back or O-tackle, depending on which one he chooses to take away from returning players.

I don't think any of us are ready to hand him a starting position, just sayin he will have a chance and our coaches seem to think he will see the field unless of course we and they are badly mistaken. That has happened before with previous staffs.

He could win a spot at tackle. Lee Ziemba did as a true freshman. I was more referencing the "two way- D-end-he'll play H-back" sort of talk.

LP was a big man, but his conditioning was nothing in comparison to BS. I remember all of the hype too, and just didn't see what provoked it other than the fact that he was a large FB. You guys do know that LP was the backup plan for Prosche, right? God Bless the kid, but I don't see any comparison here.

He could win a spot at tackle. Lee Ziemba did as a true freshman.

Ziemba won a spot because there was a clear opening for him to do so. Generally a raw a kid from a small Kansas school who wasn't even playing Tackle isn't going to beat out entrenched starters who contributed on one of the best lines in the country.

Archived