Next Coach Wish-List

AubTiger14

AUpocalypse, was post about Sonny meant to be funny? if it was, it wasn't. BTW, how old are you.

90% truth, the rest is up for grabs in the eyes of he who beholds the post.

Keep your eyes on your abacus and worry about your own Gregorian measurements :thumbsup:

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Running Total so far:

Brad Stevens

Bruce Pearl, ESPN analyst

Up and Comer

Chuck Person

Sonny Smith

Stan Heath, South Florida

Tommy Ameker, Harvard... 1st team in the NCAA Tourney '14

Larry Brown, SMU

Avery Johnson

Phil Jackson

Steve Prohm, Murray State

Rick Stansbury, Miss State

Herb Sendek

Greg Kamansky, UCalPoly

Mike Leaf, Winona State

Shaka Smart

Whoever Charles Barkley picks

Bill Self

Roy WIlliams

Norman Dale

Coack K

Michael White, LaTech

Randy Rahe, Weber State

Danny Manning, Tulsa

Richard Williams, MissSt/ArkSt-assistant

Bring Back Lebo

Rod Barnes, OleMiss

Priscilla Barnes, actress

Marshall, Wichita State

Scott Drew, Baylor

Bucky McMillan, Mountain Brook High School

One of Kentucky's assistants

Bob Hoffman, Mercer

Mark Gottfried, NCState/uat

Ben Howland, UCLA

Bobby Hurley, Buffalo

Christian Laettner

Michael White(La Tech) 70-29 overall

Tim Cluess(Iona) 210-76 overall, 90-43 at Iona

Bobby Hurley(Buffalo) 18-9 overall

Tommy Amaker(Harvard) 312-208 overall, 136-69 at Harvard

Larry Eustachy(Colorado St) 443-281 overall, 41-23 at Colorado St.

Lennie Acuff(UAH) 440-281 overall

Thanks Aub....not too impressive but certainly is a realistic list of who might be interested.

But like the investment firms say, "past performance is no guarantee of future results". but often it's a good indicator.

Give me Lennie Acuff and let's call it a day. He's one heck of a coach and a tremendous guy. We could do (and I'm almost positive we will) a lot worse than him.

Mark Cuban had an interesting idea. He wants to improve the developmental league and send players there out of hs. I say let the ones that are good enough go straight there. The rest do like they do for baseball, make them play 3 years college ball.

As to the next Auburn coach, I don't know who we can attract there. I like the search committee idea. Just want the right people making that search. I don't doubt that CB loves Auburn but he has a one track mind. He eliminates all candidates who are not black. I don't care if the coach is black, white or green. I just want to pick the best person we can. His thinking is just as bad as those who would exclude black coaches.

Why is he taking out black coaches as candidates?

you will have to ask him why. All I know is he went off when auburn did not hire Turner Gill as football coach. He is very race conscious about everything.

Please read again and comprehend. Barkley is not taking out black candidates, he pretty much endorses ONLY black candidates. We need people choosing our coaches that are colorblind. Barkley does not fit that description.

wde

A lot from auapopcalypse's list would be good hires that we could actually get, some would be home runs that would take a lot (prayers), some are pipe dreams they would hang up on JJ if he called and would screen the committee's calls, some are laughable train wrecks.

Looking forward to see how this search process plays out but ultimately am pessimistic about who we would wind up with

Please read again and comprehend. Barkley is not taking out black candidates, he pretty much endorses ONLY black candidates. We need people choosing our coaches that are colorblind. Barkley does not fit that description.

wde

Considering how embarrassingly few black head coaches (of any sport) our university has hired over the years we need people like Barkley endorsing qualified black candidates.

wde

Considering how embarrassingly few black head coaches (of any sport) our university has hired over the years we need people like Barkley endorsing qualified black candidates.

I supported Mike Anderson, Jeff Capel and was OK with Tony Barbee to be hired so I am not anti-black coach. I want whomever is hiring (or is being consulted to help hire ) the next HC at AU for any sport to be colorblind. I want the best coach available, not the best black coach or white coach available, the best one period. Barkley has an agenda. I would be against anyone on the committee who wanted to hire only a white coach.

wde

wde

do you consider turner gill to be qualified? CB wanted him hired to be the football coach simply because of his race. We should explore all viable candidates regardless of race. CB won't consider anyone but black coaches.

wde

do you consider turner gill to be qualified? CB wanted him hired to be the football coach simply because of his race. We should explore all viable candidates regardless of race. CB won't consider anyone but black coaches.

At the time I did, but so did a LOT of AU folks. A great many wanted Gill at that time and I remember the arguments on ITAT about who should be hired and many wanted Gill. Fortunately we did not hire him and the not so great hire we made did bring in a great offensive coordinator.

The saying everyone likes to use is hire the best candidate regardless of race. However "the best candidate" is a very subjective opinion and is not an easy conclusion. The conclusion our university has come to time and again is the white coach was the best candidate. Other than Barbee and former AU great Harvey Glance what black head coaches have we had for a program? Maybe I am forgetting some.

I know this is a very unpopular and uncomfortable subject. I would not bring it up but posters here have cast aspersions at Barkley for pushing black candidates. I just think we need someone like Barkley to help keep us honest and face the fact we have not given black head coaches many chances.

To chose a coach because of race IS racism period. The term "colorblind" absolutely has to be part of any search group criteria IMO. Get the best coach we can, it's really not that hard to understand and frankly I don't need Barkley if he has any other agenda other than helping get us better.

wde

At the time I did, but so did a LOT of AU folks. A great many wanted Gill at that time and I remember the arguments on ITAT about who should be hired and many wanted Gill. Fortunately we did not hire him and the not so great hire we made did bring in a great offensive coordinator.

The saying everyone likes to use is hire the best candidate regardless of race. However "the best candidate" is a very subjective opinion and is not an easy conclusion. The conclusion our university has come to time and again is the white coach was the best candidate. Other than Barbee and former AU great Harvey Glance what black head coaches have we had for a program? Maybe I am forgetting some.

I know this is a very unpopular and uncomfortable subject. I would not bring it up but posters here have cast aspersions at Barkley for pushing black candidates. I just think we need someone like Barkley to help keep us honest and face the fact we have not given black head coaches many chances.

I don't mind people having a preference but to just totally exclude all others is not any better than those who would say that a black coach is unacceptable.

Race doesn't apply and has nothing to do with this thread. If you google up a candidate and the first thing you do is check what skin color the guy has... respectfully, you're an idiot. If he's 5'2 and has a handlebar mustache.. well that's different. That should be the the only appearance factor applied here imo.

A couple things you should be looking for instead:

Are they winning at least 66% of their games year in and year out?

If they had a good run this past year, how did that compare with previous years? How many Seniors were on this squad?

Where do their teams rank in rebounding, assists, fg %? Says alot about coaching and style of play.

How often do you see their team's name on the 'Interest/Offered' section for the guys in the top 100 Recruiting Lists?

Out of conference vs Conference records...

How did they fare overall with OT and games decided by 3 or less?

All far more important factors to consider. Moving along....

Running Total so far:

Brad Stevens

Bruce Pearl, ESPN analyst

Up and Comer

Chuck Person

Sonny Smith

Stan Heath, South Florida

Tommy Ameker, Harvard... 1st team in the NCAA Tourney '14

Larry Brown, SMU

Avery Johnson

Phil Jackson

Steve Prohm, Murray State

Rick Stansbury, Miss State

Herb Sendek

Greg Kamansky, UCalPoly

Mike Leaf, Winona State

Shaka Smart

Whoever Charles Barkley picks

Bill Self

Roy WIlliams

Norman Dale

Coack K

Michael White, LaTech

Randy Rahe, Weber State

Danny Manning, Tulsa

Richard Williams, MissSt/ArkSt-assistant

Bring Back Lebo

Rod Barnes, OleMiss

Priscilla Barnes, actress

Marshall, Wichita State

Scott Drew, Baylor

Bucky McMillan, Mountain Brook High School

One of Kentucky's assistants

Bob Hoffman, Mercer

Mark Gottfried, NCState/uat

Ben Howland, UCLA

Bobby Hurley, Buffalo

Christian Laettner

Michael White(La Tech) 70-29 overall

Tim Cluess(Iona) 210-76 overall, 90-43 at Iona

Bobby Hurley(Buffalo) 18-9 overall

Tommy Amaker(Harvard) 312-208 overall, 136-69 at Harvard

Larry Eustachy(Colorado St) 443-281 overall, 41-23 at Colorado St.

Lennie Acuff(UAH) 440-281 overall

Out of all the names posted so far, These are my pics...

Keep Dreaming Hire:

Gregg Marshall, Wichita State

-----He's responsible for all of Wintrhop's NCAA appearances 15 years or so ago. Auburn faced one of his squads in the first round when they were a #1 seed. AU won that game by a large margin, but Winthrop came to play. After taking over WS, He's won an NIT title, taken WS to the Final Four, and has WS undefeated right now.

This excerpt really reflects on the coaching job he's done.

Five Wichita State players scored between nine and 17 points. Six had at least one steal, five had at least one block and four had at least four rebounds.

Everybody was exceptional, so nobody was exceptional. That’s the story of their season.

Wins don't come from the hands of one guy. Seasons aren't reflective of hot streaks and off-nights.

Realistic Hires:

Scott Drew, Baylor

---Maybe this one isn't very realistic as I don't think he'd leave Baylor for AU, but.. this guy is all over recruit's interest lists. He puts himself out there and is known as a good recruiter. His teams rank in the top 100 for Rebounds, Assists, Pts/game, and 124th for FG%. Drew took over a Baylor program which was nailed by the NCAA and not allowed to participate out of conference his first 3 seasons. Since then, he's won an NIT title, NIT 2nd place, and gone to 2 Elite Eights. He is consistently very good. I'd open up the checkbook and throw him the keys in a heartbeat. That's probably what it would take for AU.

Bob Huffman, Mercer

---His team is top 50 for Rebnds/Assists/FG%/scoring and own a 25-8 record. They've gotten better every year he's been there.

Mercer is 5-1 in overtime games this year. Mercer is in nearby Macon Ga

Randy Rahe, Weber State

---Has W.State finishing in the top 2 of their conference nearly every year. His teams are ranked in the top 150 for Pts/Assists/FG%, top 200 in Rebounds. His teams are sound defensively as well.

Coaches I'd be Intrigued with:

Bobby Hurley, Buffalo

Tommy Amaker, Harvard

Michael White, La Tech

maybe Danny Manning, Tulsa

Other than Barbee and former AU great Harvey Glance what black head coaches have we had for a program? Maybe I am forgetting some.

Ralph Spry, track and field and Terri Williams-Flournoy, women's basketball come to mind.

Other than Barbee and former AU great Harvey Glance what black head coaches have we had for a program? Maybe I am forgetting some.

Ralph Spry, track and field and Terri Williams-Flournoy, women's basketball come to mind.

Sunny Golloway is pretty Hawaiian and we've had more coaches from Arkansas than I can add up. That has to count for something.

I think AU plays USCe in the opening round of the tourney next week. If so, that should be---notice I said "should"---be a win. I'm going out on a limb here and predict that if AU does beat USCe in the opening round, Barbee will be back next year. Bruce Pearl, who is my choice, will most likely have better offers than coming to AU, and I just don't see going after some "up-and-comer" like AU did with Lebo and Barbee. I could be wrong, though.

I think AU plays USCe in the opening round of the tourney next week. If so, that should be---notice I said "should"---be a win. I'm going out on a limb here and predict that if AU does beat USCe in the opening round, Barbee will be back next year. Bruce Pearl, who is my choice, will most likely have better offers than coming to AU, and I just don't see going after some "up-and-comer" like AU did with Lebo and Barbee. I could be wrong, though.

I don't think beating a very bad South Carolina team that we have already beaten twice will save Barbee's job (assuming JJ is on the fence about firing him and certainly wouldn't sway his decision if he is preparing to fire him).

I think it would probably take a run into Saturday which would include wins on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday to sway JJ into keeping CTB if he is on the fence about firing him and using the SEC tourney as a final measuring test. Or possibly wins on Wednesday and Thursday with a hard fought, competitive loss on Friday to say UF, UT, UK (our only three likely tourney teams at this point).

If the decision has already been made to fire him then I say it would take a run to Sunday (win or lose) to save him. And that wouldn't necessarily be the best thing for the program long term to keep him if we did that... but try luring a new coach worth a damn to come here if we just fired the previous coach when he makes the final in the conference tourney!

IF and I said IF Jay makes a move, "he" will be some unknown and AU will pay him a huge amount. JJ is good at that.

Archived