Next Coach Wish-List

AubTiger14

...... JMO but since AU is unlikely to recruit a bunch of 5* players each year like UK, it would be nice to have someone with a history of developing the ordinary players and somehow overcome the 40% transfer rate that is ruining college basketball..and keep them around a few years.

There's the rub. We need to find a coach that can develop and retain recruiting classes that average about 3* players. We can win with that if the guys will stick together. The 40% transfer rate in college basketball has been 80% at Auburn for high school signees during the Barbee years. That has GOT to stop. Right now, 40% would be a sensational improvement at Auburn.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A high school head coach is what we don't need. The SEC is far different than coaching high school.

I know, right?!?

I mean that HUNH thing from Arkansas will never last!

If I recall Gus had about 5 or 6 years of serious collegiate coaching experience prior to becoming a head coach.

Meanwhile, I'm continually amazed by the coaching suggestions that show up on this board. Granted I don't have a list of prospects (short or long) but it doesn't take much analysis to know that most of the candidates mentioned have no chance of coaching at AU.

But then again, it's good for people to keep trying....someone may get lucky with a name.

Personally it reflects my exasperation with AU basketball.

Any promising up and comer is better and provides more hope than what we have now.

I guess the other question to me is why the last two coaches have each had player retention issues.

I guess the other question to me is why the last two coaches have each had player retention issues.

Player retention is a problem everywhere it seems. I heard them mention it in the broadcast yesterday and I found this article. It is almost two years old but still relevant. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/luke_winn/07/18/up-transfers-NCAA-basketball/

For some reason basketball players are transferring out a lot now and it is not just at AU.

Player retention is a problem everywhere it seems. I heard them mention it in the broadcast yesterday and I found this article. It is almost two years old but still relevant. http://sportsillustr...CAA-basketball/

For some reason basketball players are transferring out a lot now and it is not just at AU.

Both the players and coaches seem to have no patience....players want to start from day one and if not..they move on...and coaches are looking for players who can make an immediate impact and if after one season the kid can't start the coach pushes him out.

In defense of TB, he has recruited a bunch of 3* kids that looked good in HS but seems both coach and player were not willing to take the long view....and for whatever reason, the 80% or whatever, of 3* kids that left AU have not landed anywhere important and/or made an impact.

Too many of these HS players over-rate their abilities...especially the middle sized guys who score inside in HS and rack up the stats against smaller opponents...and yet are not big enough for inside and not fast enough for outside in Div 1.

JMO but it is combination of kids with NBA dreams wanting playing time without earning it...and coaches not willing to invest a couple years with a kid to bring him to SEC level of play. Too much ego involved ...players and coaches.

Player retention is a problem everywhere it seems. I heard them mention it in the broadcast yesterday and I found this article. It is almost two years old but still relevant. http://sportsillustr...CAA-basketball/

Both the players and coaches seem to have no patience....players want to start from day one and if not..they move on...and coaches are looking for players who can make an immediate impact and if after one season the kid can't start the coach pushes him out.

In defense of TB, he has recruited a bunch of 3* kids that looked good in HS but seems both coach and player were not willing to take the long view....and for whatever reason, the 80% or whatever, of 3* kids that left AU have not landed anywhere important and/or made an impact.

Too many of these HS players over-rate their abilities...especially the middle sized guys who score inside in HS and rack up the stats against smaller opponents...and yet are not big enough for inside and not fast enough for outside in Div 1.

JMO but it is combination of kids with NBA dreams wanting playing time without earning it...and coaches not willing to invest a couple years with a kid to bring him to SEC level of play. Too much ego involved ...players and coaches.

To me, whether a kid makes an impact at another school after he leaves here is immaterial. We'll never know the impact said player would have made if he stayed here. More to the point, take a group of them, let them stay 4 years and gel together, them see the difference. That's what we are missing IMO. I totally agree about ego and expectations though.

To me, whether a kid makes an impact at another school after he leaves here is immaterial. We'll never know the impact said player would have made if he stayed here. More to the point, take a group of them, let them stay 4 years and gel together, them see the difference. That's what we are missing IMO. I totally agree about ego and expectations though.

I don't think it is a matter of "letting them stay" . A vast majority take off on their own when they see that the will have lots of bench time and I guess they would rather go to a smaller school and play than spend a couple years on the bench. Face it, hardly any of them are coming to AU for the educational opportunities....it's about instant playing time and going to class is just the price they have to pay to play college basketball.

JMO and I know many think otherwise, but I put most of this on the players and whoever is advising them. ...and less on the coaches...who may be telling them straight what they need to do to get playing time...and the kids just don't want to pay the price.

As someone commented on another issue...trash talking I think it was.....it's a generational thing and no just an AU issue.

If the pockets are deep enough, then coach K wouldn't have the right to tell any coach don't go to Auburn.

If not Pearl, then bring back Sonny Smith until we get back on or feet and start learning how to win again.

He still knows how to win.

At that age, putting on your own shoes in the morning, warming up your oatmeal without burning down the house, and keeping your Depends clean are all wins.

Sonny, bless his heart, knows a lot about basketball and he's got a great media persona. He also put a team on the floor that Sports Illustrated named "The greatest underachievers of all time". When Sonny quit and then wanted to come back two days later, there's a reason he was told "NOT ONLY NO BUT HELL NO!"

Sonny, bless his heart, knows a lot about basketball and he's got a great media persona. He also put a team on the floor that Sports Illustrated named "The greatest underachievers of all time". When Sonny quit and then wanted to come back two days later, there's a reason he was told "NOT ONLY NO BUT HELL NO!"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hahaha. Funny stuff. Truth be told he, even at his age, could probably do a better job with this team than CTB.

Michael White: La Tech

Basketball is theoretically the easiest sport to turnaround. Instead of having to sign a recruiting class of 25 players to get a full 85 man roster to put 22 players on both sides of the ball plus special teams, you just need 5 guys in basketball. 5 guys! And so I think a turnaround should be able to happen within 2 years.

The way that college basketball is right now, there are so many superstars leaving after one year, that the traditional should not be as good as they once were. In addition to that, the SEC is a mediocre league at best. We're only going to put 2 (maybe 3) teams in the tournament, and that's embarrassing.

Auburn has a couple of things working against it right now. We have been shut out of the Huntsville area because our former relationship with Kamara and shut out of AAU basketball because our our Under Armour sponsor. We're unable to recruit top talent. Therefore, we have taken chances on players with questionable character because they were talented. This has backfired tremendously and left Auburn depleted in talent; especially after Harrell is now rumored to be leaving school early for the NBA draft.

Now more than ever, we need a coach that can recruit solid 3* talent and develop them into what these smaller schools have - a team. We need a guy that can teach fundamentals such as rebounding, defense, and free throws. We need a program builder. But I have no clue who that would be...

I would love to hear anyone's suggestions. I'm sure they'll be some names thrown out there after the first couple of rounds of the NCAA tournament.

Mark Gottfried from NC State: Nope, I'm not a Bammer but I believe he could have success at Auburn.

Record Overall: 344-189 (.647)

NC State: 63-35 (.650)

Mark Gottfried from NC State: Nope, I'm not a Bammer but I believe he could have success at Auburn.

Thanks for your opinion, but I'd rather sew my head to the carpet! :thumbsup:

Stan Heath at South Florida

Ben Howland former UCLA coach. He's not currently coaching. UCLA made the NCAA Tournament his last year but got put out early and didn't meet UCLA's standards of success. He also coached UCLA to the NCAA Finals in 2006 but were beat by Florida in the title game.

Steve Prohm at Murray State

Thanks for your opinion, but I'd rather sew my head to the carpet! :thumbsup:/>

LOL!

He is already at a better basketball school than us and they will pay more than we would for a basketball coach.

No matter how old he is, Sonny could still coach and still be very very good.

Sonny was a personable guy...met him a few times but he was not very very good even in his heyday. Had some great players but if I recall, he and Charles just never hit it off.

Archived