Next Coach Wish-List

AubTiger14

Who was the coach that was so successful at Miss State a few years ago.

I remember him looking to get back in during the last coaching search?

Richard Williams was the coach of Mississippi State when the Bulldogs went to the Final Four in '96. Stansbury was his top assistant.

Coach R Williams is the Black coach, right?

He is the guy who retired early.

Where is he?

He's white, retired last two seasons, and living in Mississippi. He will never be under consideration for the HC job at AU.

forced resignation at MSU where he then took a job at ArkSt under John Brady.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who was the coach that was so successful at Miss State a few years ago.

I remember him looking to get back in during the last coaching search?

Richard Williams was the coach of Mississippi State when the Bulldogs went to the Final Four in '96. Stansbury was his top assistant.

Coach R Williams is the Black coach, right?

He is the guy who retired early.

Where is he?

Are you thinking possibly of Rod Barnes, who coached at Ole Miss? He's at Cal State Bakersfield:

http://www.gorunners.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13300&ATCLID=205144285

Both Richard Williams and Rick Stansbury are white. Unless you're thinking of Venus and Serena's dad. He's Richard Williams, and he's black.

White Richard Williams is the MSU coach that took State to the Final Four in 1996. I was still in high school. It was crazy. I didn't even like MSU (both parents are Auburn alum), but that was a great team. Darrell Wilson at the 2. Erick Dampier at center. Dontae Jones at 3. Crazy talented team. They beat UK (the eventual champs) in the SEC championship game. I still don't know how they lost to Syracuse. Would've played UK again in the title game. There was always a rumor that Marcus Bullard (point guard) threw the game for money. He had some crazy turnovers and was certainly known to run with a rough crowd. He's in prison now for a drive-by.

Anyway, Williams isn't an option at Auburn. He had some personal issues that were very Bowden-esque regarding booze and co-eds.

Stansbury, as far as I know, is still hanging around Starkville. He "retired", but I'm guessing we could pull him out of retirement for the right price. He'd have to be excited about the job though. He's a recruiter, first and foremost; he's not a great (or even very good) game coach. So he needs to be energized to get the right kids in. We'd kill for his success though. Six trips to the Big Dance in 14 years. That may not seem great, but we've been eight times. Ever. Twice in the last 14 years. Zero times since we fired Cliff Ellis.

Time to think outside the box. Here ya go, hire Stansbury and bring back Lebo, covers all the bases. There, problem solved.

Lucky for us, we have people getting paid Big Bucks to find a coach that can win at Auburn. Maybe this time will be the charm.

Well, JMO, but getting a great BB coach at AU will be very difficult. we have never been known for BBall, tournaments, recruiting, etc. All of the small school coaches are not going to leave for AU as their situation is better at their existing small school. They will keep winning at those schools and winning at AU is no guarantee.

As for getting a big name, I dont see AU stepping up to the plate and spending the big bucks, (have we ever for BBall?. Plus why would a big name BBall coach come to AU? We all love AU, but we need to be realistic.

I know is is not a popular choice for many, but if Bruce Parl would come,we would have a chance to have BBall become popular at AU again and we would recruit and win games. This being said, I really think Peark will have better offers.

An Assistant from KY, IN, Duke, FL, etc, may be a way to improve.

I hope not. If so, AU better begin looking for a new AD. Rod Barnes hasn't done anything since his second season at Ole Miss 13, 14, 15 years ago. JJ would be better off talking to Priscilla Barnes.

What is up with all of these washed up Mississippi coaches popping up in this thread? What has any school in Mississippi done with a basketball? Sweet Sixteen here... NIT there... but no one has maintained a program. Sun. Dog's Rump. Mississippi Washouts.

I'd like to see some names who are at least attached to the dartboard. Aim Higher!

Actually in the last twenty years, MSU is probably the third best basketball program in the SEC. They've made a final four appearance. They also won more SEC titles (3 SEC tournaments and one regular season title) than any team in the West. They also have eight tournament appearances in those twenty years, which is the same number as Auburn has in it's entire history.

You can bash MSU for lots of stuff, but we're not in the same weight class when it comes to basketball. Kentucky is one. Florida is two. After that, it's probably MSU for the last two decades.

Actually in the last twenty years, MSU is probably the third best basketball program in the SEC. They've made a final four appearance. They also won more SEC titles (3 SEC tournaments and one regular season title) than any team in the West. They also have eight tournament appearances in those twenty years, which is the same number as Auburn has in it's entire history.

You can bash MSU for lots of stuff, but we're not in the same weight class when it comes to basketball. Kentucky is one. Florida is two. After that, it's probably MSU for the last two decades.

..my post was meant to say 'coach', not 'school'..

Rick Stansbury is responsible for most of that in your post and while consistent (and being the only guy who has maintained a program), he couldn't make it over the hump. He lost support at the end of his career because everyone was tired of losing in the first round of the NCAAs/NIT. Yes, MSU has done more in basketball than AU. Does that mean we should just hire up their scraps and be content bc maybe he'll have half the success he had at MSU? Not splashy and you know what to expect with this guy. You said yourself, he isn't a good game coach. Why the heck would we want that?

What would he be able to do differently with such an inferior program? He's boring, and old news.

I'm bashing every coach and program in Mississippi because I myself have higher standards than what they've produced.

The other coaches mentioned had one or two decent seasons and thats it. One in particular is rumored to have knocked up a co-ed who also happened to be a booster's daughter.

Aim higher is all I'm asking. Some of these names are just weak when it comes to applying them to a potential turn-around. AU needs a makeover, not a magnolia state hand-me-down.

Rick Stansbury is responsible for most of that in your post and while consistent (and being the only guy who has maintained a program), he couldn't make it over the hump. He lost support at the end of his career because everyone was tired of losing in the first round of the NCAAs/NIT. Yes, MSU has done more in basketball than AU. Does that mean we should just hire up their scraps and be content bc maybe he'll have half the success he had at MSU? Not splashy and you know what to expect with this guy. You said yourself, he isn't a good game coach. Why the heck would we want that?

What would he be able to do differently with such an inferior program? He's boring, and old news.

I'm bashing every coach and program in Mississippi because I myself have higher standards than what they've produced.

The other coaches mentioned had one or two decent seasons and thats it. One in particular is rumored to have knocked up a co-ed who also happened to be a booster's daughter.

Aim higher is all I'm asking. Some of these names are just weak when it comes to applying them to a potential turn-around. AU needs a makeover, not a magnolia state hand-me-down.

I want Auburn to be a better basketball school too. Making a splash hire sounds great. When you factor in the history at Auburn it is highly unlikely that we can do it. Auburn is in a position of having to take chances on up and coming coaches or assistant coaches. That is the reality we face.

I want Auburn to be a better basketball school too. Making a splash hire sounds great. When you factor in the history at Auburn it is highly unlikely that we can do it. Auburn is in a position of having to take chances on up and coming coaches or assistant coaches. That is the reality we face.

Nobody expected our Softball and Baseball Coach hires so I think it's possible to get a good coach (and RECRUITER) on the Plains. The stars might have to align but I would have never thought Golloway and Myers would be at AU in a million years. With that said, I have no idea who that is...so for now I'm in the Get Coach Pearl camp.

You guys are right. Auburn should settle for mediocrity. If they were able to crack the top 100 (68ncaa, 32 nit) at the end of the season with a far superior program at some point in their careers, we should give them three million dollars a year. Settling isn't going to get this program anywhere.

Making a splash hire sounds great. When you factor in the history at Auburn it is highly unlikely that we can do it.

Tell that to Boise State! And I agree to an extent, it is unlikely Auburn *will do it. The big question is whether or not they will gamble

by ponying up to get what they need.

Auburn is in a position of having to take chances on up and coming coaches or assistant coaches. That is the reality we face.

Agreed. Which is why we shouldn't dig through the trash in Mississippi. That won't help us.

You guys are right. Auburn should settle for mediocrity. If they were able to crack the top 100 (68ncaa, 32 nit) at the end of the season with a far superior program at some point in their careers, we should give them three million dollars a year. Settling isn't going to get this program anywhere.

I'd love to be mediocre right now like LSU or Arkansas. I'd like to see Auburn make the NIT at least every year or every 2 years and make the NCAA tournament once every 5 years or so.

What Andy Kennedy's done at Ole Miss is what I'd like to see someone do at Auburn. Call it settling but making the NIT on a semi-regular basis isn't settling to me. That would be a big improvement over where we've been.

With the right coach we can have success and make the occasional NCAA Tournament. That's Auburn's ceiling in basketball.

The big question is whether or not they will gamble by ponying up to get what they need.

You must be operating under the delusion that paying enough money will bring in a big winner here? It won't. The big winners are already getting enough money elsewhere. We'll have to do some homework, find a good up and comer and hope that this time is the charm.

Money isn't the answer. The amount we're paying Barbee will be enough for the next guy too.

The big question is whether or not they will gamble by ponying up to get what they need.

You must be operating under the delusion that paying enough money will bring in a big winner here? It won't. The big winners are already getting enough money elsewhere. We'll have to do some homework, find a good up and comer and hope that this time is the charm.

Money isn't the answer. The amount we're paying Barbee will be enough for the next guy too.

I don't believe I'm operating under any delusions. That was in response to the previous poster about making splash hires, not my stance on a finite solution for Auburn.

Auburn will go the up and comer route. There are a few guys I hope they go after, and money absolutely would be a factor.

I guess it depends on your definition of mediocrity. If Auburn made the tournament and lost in the first round, it would be one of the Top Ten seasons in the history of the program. Think about that. Maybe just making the tourney is mediocre (from a national POV), but at Auburn, there's nothing mediocre about that accomplishment. It's a banner season. Literally. We'd hang a banner for a tournament appearance.

You reach the first round one year, everyone raises their expectations to the second round next year.. as fans, thats how we are. Bottom line, these coaches aren't special. You all can continue on discussing coaches from Mississippi, does anyone else have any other suggestions?

...it is entirely likely Barbee will still be at AU next year.

Took #2 team in the country to the wire on the road...

And then..... Barn-Burning-courtesy-terriermandotcom.blogspot.com_.jpg

Is that the from Plainsman Park today?

Only the top of the 9th.

LOL

Or the last 30 seconds of the bb game.

Or the 2012 football season.

Archived