Next Coach Wish-List

AubTiger14

Actually in the last twenty years, MSU is probably the third best basketball program in the SEC. They've made a final four appearance. They also won more SEC titles (3 SEC tournaments and one regular season title) than any team in the West. They also have eight tournament appearances in those twenty years, which is the same number as Auburn has in it's entire history.

You can bash MSU for lots of stuff, but we're not in the same weight class when it comes to basketball. Kentucky is one. Florida is two. After that, it's probably MSU for the last two decades.

I could argue TN and Vandy are better over that span than MSU.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to admit, I am a Debbie Downer when it comes to AU BB. We have almost no history. AU is not considered to be a place to go for a BB coach and we do not fill up the stadium for games. I am not sure who will come to AU as most decent coaches even at smaller programs are probably better off there than taking a chance on us in BB.

We really need a coach that can get the fans, school and players excited as well as coach and recruit players that can play at a major college level. I know he is not that popular amoungst AU fans, but Bruce Pearl does fit. I do not think he would take the AU job though as I bet he will have several offers, but I would like us to try.

Pat Kelsey of Winthrop would be an interesting candidate. Has coached several NBA players, as an assistant and is considered a quality recruiter.

Link

Also read on Wikipedia that his favorite bird is the eagle! - In his free time Pat enjoys going bird-watching. His favorite bird is the eagle.

Actually in the last twenty years, MSU is probably the third best basketball program in the SEC. They've made a final four appearance. They also won more SEC titles (3 SEC tournaments and one regular season title) than any team in the West. They also have eight tournament appearances in those twenty years, which is the same number as Auburn has in it's entire history.

You can bash MSU for lots of stuff, but we're not in the same weight class when it comes to basketball. Kentucky is one. Florida is two. After that, it's probably MSU for the last two decades.

Arkansas could also make a claim for that #3 slot. The have had a lot of down years the latter half of richardson's tenure and heath/pelphrey.

After UK and UF, there is no clear cut #3. I would say that you could lump State, Arky, UT, Vandy, Mizzou into a category ahead of one consisting of Auburn, Bama, Ole Miss, UGA, USC, TAMU, LSU based on recent success. But all teams in the conference have went through rough stretches of some magnitude, so categorizing tiers within the SEC is shaky at best. It used to be UK and the 11 dwarfs. now I think it is fair to say UK, UF, and the 12 dwarfs.

Arkansas could also make a claim for that #3 slot. The have had a lot of down years the latter half of richardson's tenure and heath/pelphrey.

After UK and UF, there is no clear cut #3. I would say that you could lump State, Arky, UT, Vandy, Mizzou into a category ahead of one consisting of Auburn, Bama, Ole Miss, UGA, USC, TAMU, LSU based on recent success. But all teams in the conference have went through rough stretches of some magnitude, so categorizing tiers within the SEC is shaky at best. It used to be UK and the 11 dwarfs. now I think it is fair to say UK, UF, and the 12 dwarfs.

Afraid you are correct. Every school has had it's moment of glory...some of those moments like at AU were very short however... but other than UK, none have been able to build and hold a program. UF probably owes it's entire basketball history to Billy Donovan . Every school has periods where they land a Shaq or Barkley or whoever and ride him a few years....and then it's back to "normal"...just scrambling to be the best of the worst.

Say what you will about Jay Jacobs, but his hires for baseball and softball recently impressed me. Our BB program has been terrible the last few years in every way, player turnover, wins and losses, etc. I don't see anyway Barbee can erase that, even with a few wins in the SEC tourney. We have a couple of the best scorers in the league, and nothing to show for it.

Afraid you are correct. Every school has had it's moment of glory...some of those moments like at AU were very short however... but other than UK, none have been able to build and hold a program. UF probably owes it's entire basketball history to Billy Donovan . Every school has periods where they land a Shaq or Barkley or whoever and ride him a few years....and then it's back to "normal"...just scrambling to be the best of the worst.

I think "best of the worst" is an excellent way to phrase anyone not UK or UF in the SEC. We aren't a deep league most years. This year UGA rose up to be the "best of the worst" record-wise but they won't even make the NCAA tourney barring a big run in the SEC tourney.

I'm of the opinion of going after tommy ameker. He is currently working at Harvard. Comes from the coach k method of coaching, very smart and seems to get the most from players. Works a system offense and stresses defense.

I understand that the last time we tried to hire a Duke coach that Coach K advised them not to come to Auburn.

I would like Cliff Ellis back. That's my wish list.

He is part of why Auburn struggled over the last decade. He left a huge mess behind. We knew his history when we hired him and he did all his usual see stuff and we got burned because if it.

Gregg Marshall. I say we at least give him a chance to turn us down.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

throw out $4mill/yr, hand him the keys, & tell him to do whatever he wants within the confines of the law.

The Director of Basketball Operations is going to also be a very important position to fill (assuming Barbee's guy is out) if

AU want to take this program to an identifiable level. He'll have his hands full.

How about Mike White from La Tech?

Reminds me of a 2009 Tony Barbee...

Great Recruiter, has ties to Coach K, If its the same guy he played at Ole Miss when AU had their great run back in 98-99, and he has done really well in his short time at La Tech. The only knock I can come up with.. some analysts were really dogging what he'd done about a month ago. They ripped LaT's strength of schedule and undermined his record. I don't put a lot of stock into what 'analysts' say, but it stuck with me. I'd be happy w that hire.

:thumbsup:/> :thumbsup:/>

throw out $4mill/yr, hand him the keys, & tell him to do whatever he wants within the confines of the law.

The Director of Basketball Operations is going to also be a very important position to fill (assuming Barbee's guy is out) if

AU want to take this program to an identifiable level. He'll have his hands full.

He already said in an interview with CBS, that the only way he would leave WSU, is for a top program in a major conference. Basically said he wouldn't leave for money.

So that rules Auburn out...

He already said in an interview with CBS, that the only way he would leave WSU, is for a top program in a major conference. Basically said he wouldn't leave for money.

Give Marshall the chance to turn us down a couple of times along with Shaka Smart, but they are both in better basketball programs now than what we are and if they do want to move, it will be a step up, not a step down. Our best best bet on a "name" coach is Bruce Pearl because of his NCAA baggage and possibly Ben Howland because of his UCLA flame out.

wde

my 'keep dreaming hire' from another thread

Lenny Acuff from UAH sures seems to win a lot with a bunch of white boys.

Lennie would be an awesome hire. Of course, the folks that only know the generic names would have their panties all in a wad as usual.

Archived