Next Coach Wish-List

AubTiger14

Is there a reason Chuck Persons is not mentioned as a candidate. i understand he was a candidate back in 2010 and Auburn wanted him to have a degree. Is that still the case -- is a degree required to be a head coach, or are there other reasons?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a reason Chuck Persons is not mentioned as a candidate. i understand he was a candidate back in 2010 and Auburn wanted him to have a degree. Is that still the case -- is a degree required to be a head coach, or are there other reasons?

We should not be hiring an assistant. Even if he is an Auburn man. That should not be the lone qualification.

I don't think anyone really knows if AU requires someone to have a degree to be the head coach. It has been mentioned before though.

I'd say the big reason Persons is not on the list is because he has no head coaching experience at any level and no college coaching experience in any capacity.

Jacobs interviewing Stansbury, but I have concerns about him. If a head coach at Mississippi State, who is winning in the SEC and going to post-season play, is forced out, there be problems.

I don't know who is on Jacobs' list, but I sure hope it includes Josh Pastner at Memphis. He recruits very well in the southeast, develops his players, and wins. This year, Memphis beat #7 Louisville, as well as LSU and Oklahoma State, and lost by only 2 to #1 Florida. The young man can coach, and his trackj record recruiting in the south gives him cred as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know who is on Jacobs' list, but I sure hope it includes Josh Pastner at Memphis. He recruits very well in the southeast, develops his players, and wins. This year, Memphis beat #7 Louisville, as well as LSU and Oklahoma State, and lost by only 2 to #1 Florida. The young man can coach, and his trackj record recruiting in the south gives him cred as far as I'm concerned.

Memphis is 10x the basketball school AU is. Why would he take a major step down to coach us? You must know much about Memphis basketball, how much they pay, how big their arena is, how many fans they draw, etc.

You can't expect your players to take school seriously when their own coach never finished his degree. Chuck could be a candidate for the job but he needs to finish his degree and maybe work as a college assistant too. He should have done these things after the last time the job was open.

I'm gonna go ahead and say avoid a Calipari protege, that's exactly what we just had with Barbee. Go ahead and make a run at a proven coach, or maybe take another shot at a Coach K protege.

Somebody had mentioned Tommy Amaker the ex-Duke player who coaches at Harvard. When I first heard that I said an Ivy league coach then I looked at who Harvard played this year and their record. The played and beat some very good teams this year and lost a very close game to Conneticut. at Harvard you have very tough academic standards at one time they didn't give sports scholarships just academic I am not sure if that is still true.

Harvard is not the type of school that you would expect to excel in Basketball and yet they did. A coach who can put together a really good team at Harvard knows basketball not just how to play it but how to teach it and how to get players who will learn his systems and win with it. I would bet money Harvard is not stocked with a bunch of 4 and 5 Star players but they still win. That is what Auburn needs.

Not sure if he Coach Amaker would be interested but I would sure like to test the waters.

If you truly want to list the top schools in the conference and be objective. The list would be UK, UF, UT, ARK, UA, VU, Mizzo, MSU, LSU, and the bottom would be AU, GA, Ole Miss, TAM lumped in a pile. My point is, getting a coach like BP would be unheard of for us.

I would break that list up much farther.

At the top are UK and UF. No one else is on that level.

MSU and Arkansas are really the next tier. They regularly win the West. They've both been to the Final Four in recent enough memory, and both regularly make the tourney. MSU looks bad at the moment, but that's a really short time frame. They were in the dance four years ago.

Next tier is probably everyone else listed above... LSU, UT, Mizzou, Vandy, Bama. Those teams have made a sporatic run to the tourney and regularly compete in the SEC (although those teams are almost devoid of conference titles).

That's about how I'd break it down.

lol. No way Josh comes here unless he gets canned after a .500 season.

“@bmarcello: A lot of buzz. RT @JoelAEricksonAU: Auburn basketball search includes two high-profile names as March Madness begins http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2014/03/auburn_basketball_search_inclu.html”

I found it interesting that Buzz Williams' name has now been thrown into the hat. But let's hope the Pearl deal will get done in the next 48 hours.

"@bmarcello: A lot of buzz. RT @JoelAEricksonAU: Auburn basketball search includes two high-profile names as March Madness begins http://www.al.com/au...rch_inclu.html"

I found it interesting that Buzz Williams' name has now been thrown into the hat. But let's hope the Pearl deal will get done in the next 48 hours.

I think Pearl is going to "shop" around a little bit. See which coaches get fired. Pearl could have several options...just the question as to what kind of options.

Saul Phillips from North Dakota State is someone I hope is considered.

As far as Buzz Williams, shocked to hear his name, good money at a basketball school, not sure he is the right fit for Auburn.

As far as Buzz Williams, shocked to hear his name, good money at a basketball school, not sure he is the right fit for Auburn.

What makes the coach at North Dakota State and good fit for AU but potentially not Buzz W?

Guest jojo1515

"@bmarcello: A lot of buzz. RT @JoelAEricksonAU: Auburn basketball search includes two high-profile names as March Madness begins http://www.al.com/au...rch_inclu.html"

I think Pearl is going to "shop" around a little bit. See which coaches get fired. Pearl could have several options...just the question as to what kind of options.

83, that is why I think we need to get him signed up ASAP. The longer this goes, the worse our chances are.

"@bmarcello: A lot of buzz. RT @JoelAEricksonAU: Auburn basketball search includes two high-profile names as March Madness begins http://www.al.com/au...rch_inclu.html"[/url]

83, that is why I think we need to get him signed up ASAP. The longer this goes, the worse our chances are.

Do you think he would be willing to sign if we offer him ASAP? That would be my question and concern. Maybe he would wait to see what else opens up even if we do make him an offer quickly and with good $$. I do agree that we should get on him early if we have not already.

What makes the coach at North Dakota State and good fit for AU but potentially not Buzz W?

Buzz sounded good, and he's a name that I missed.. but after looking over his pay and financial terms (and those of his staff) at Marquette I really don't think there will be some optimism after he and AU met/meet

Archived