***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

19 hours ago, AUwent said:

Are we already ditching WB? Him, SW, and Bishop wouldn't be a bad depth chart. Still want Stidham, but somehow I see our QB situation being a slight bit better next year.

Bishop?  You don't even know if he is going to be a QB.  We have no idea what WB can do and he is a RS so he isn't going anywhere soon. At least with SW and Stidham, you have two QBs ready for action. 

27 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You're the recruiting Guru and I appreciate your efforts, however, under JFIII's thread earlier (started 10/23/2015) the title states QB/ATH.  I know you have your fingers on the pulse of what the coaches are looking at in regards to recruits, but maybe the titles should reflect that.  I'm not sure you have the power to do that or not, the thread was not started by you.

The part about being disingenuous is; why does Gus recruit a guy he "thinks" might work out as a QB as opposed to recruiting someone that is a QB?  Is it because Gus and Rhett can't evaluate a QB unless he is seen in our system?  QB is not a position that you go to a school hoping that someone likes your skill set.  Essentially, he is wasting his and the recruit's time.  

I'm not a guru. I just pay waaaaaaaay too much attention to this stuff. Early in JF3's AU recruitment there was a difference of opinion between AU recruiting reporters as to whether he was recruited as a QB or an Athlete with a shot as a QB. Thus the title reflected the openness to both opinions. Later WDE & other connecteds, as well as the AU reporter that originally thought he was recruited as an ATH: all said he was recruited as a QB but the thread title was never changed.

On the last paragraph he recruits both guys that he thinks is a QB and the ones who want a shot at QB but are athletic enough to play other spots. As for how things have played out all QBs that have played for Gus at AU were recruited only as QB besides maybe J. Wallace for a short time. Most athletes with a shot at QB ended up at WR which is where Gus saw them in his mind to begin with.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yep. Tried to catch lightning in a bottle looking for a  Nick Marshall 2.0 but unfortunately that lightning bolt struck us in the ass.

You've been killin' it with the one liners lately, E.  Love it!

2 hours ago, metafour said:

If you look at Malzahn's history, it is obvious that he has serious problems with being questioned about his offense.  Problems with both Nutt and Chizik when he was OC.  Problems with Craig questioning his theory/process that led to him doubling down and bringing in his "own guys" that won't question him (Kodi, Herb Hand, etc).

Bingo! I'm not looking forward to starting over because the defense is finally coming around but I don't see CGM lasting much longer. Even if he manages to pull a rabbit out of his hat and land Stidham, you're slapping a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.

9 minutes ago, selias said:

Bingo! I'm not looking forward to starting over because the defense is finally coming around but I don't see CGM lasting much longer. Even if he manages to pull a rabbit out of his hat and land Stidham, you're slapping a band-aid on a sucking chest wound.

Unless Woody is ready as a sophomore. Then all is good for Gus and the QB position. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I'm not a guru. I just pay waaaaaaaay too much attention to this stuff. Early in JF3's AU recruitment there was a difference of opinion between AU recruiting reporters as to whether he was recruited as a QB or an Athlete with a shot as a QB. Thus the title reflected the openness to both opinions. Later WDE & other connecteds, as well as the AU reporter that originally thought he was recruited as an ATH: all said he was recruited as a QB but the thread title was never changed.

On the last paragraph he recruits both guys that he thinks is a QB and the ones who want a shot at QB but are athletic enough to play other spots. As for how things have played out all QBs that have played for Gus at AU were recruited only as QB besides maybe J. Wallace for a short time. Most athletes with a shot at QB ended up at WR which is where Gus saw them in his mind to begin with.

Thanks for the response, remember the term guru is relative, to a novice in all things recruiting, you are a guru.  This recuriting cycle, along with the offensive changes that may or may not happen, will make an interesting period of time.

Harsh posts.......wonder if the PTBs are of the same mind? 

Not sure about the powers that be, but 8 & 4 ain't gonna cut it much longer.  ESPECIALLY losing to GA & UA EVERY year.  Gus will get cut some slack this year, but next year he MUST beat one of the two rivals.  If he doesn't, he's gone.  And I don't care of he's 10 & 2.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, tigerfangs said:

Unless Woody is ready as a sophomore. Then all is good for Gus and the QB position. 

Because we should have faith in Gus and Rhett to recruit then develop a QB?

If you don't negative recruit then you'll never last in this league. If we aren't negative recruiting against A&M with their recent history with high profile QB's and unfulfilled promises (Allen, Hill, & Murray) then it's all on Gus. We NEED a big-time QB in THIS class. 

If we A&M gets Stidham & Mond then the writing is on the wall for Gus. He will not last without a top QB.

Edited by CameronCrazy
  • Like 2

is anyone really suprised that Gustav would not negatively recruit? Dude never has had the killer instinct and is the reason we have almost or have blown a lot of big leads with him at the helm. Lsu 2014 and arky this year are exceptions not the rule with gus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, selias said:

Because we should have faith in Gus and Rhett to recruit then develop a QB?

Sean was ready as sophomore, if he and Stidham battle next year, then Woody could be all star. 

Yes Sean was developed by them. 

If we get stidham I will go out on a limb and say no chance he is the backup. He is coming in to be the franchise.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

Of course they aren't. It was widely claimed by some here that "If Gus doesn't win 8 games this year, he's gone. Trust me, this is first hand information from the PTB." Now he will win 8, have a good shot at 9 with a bowl win, and 10 should the unlikely win over UAT happen. I seriously doubt that the PTB have a moving target like some posters on this board.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, metafour said:

The answer is that Gus has an ego, period.  Why does he continually call plays that fail, expecting different results? Because like a lot of these new wave offensive guys who blow up through the ranks, they start believing that they are above everyone else...thus if something makes sense in their mind, then the only reason it can fail is because something didn't go as it should have.  Going from a HS coach to winning a title in short order, to taking Nick Marshall with little practice time and still putting up a dominant season hasn't helped at all because it has only confirmed his supposed "genius" in his own mind.  If you look at Malzahn's history, it is obvious that he has serious problems with being questioned about his offense.  Problems with both Nutt and Chizik when he was OC.  Problems with Craig questioning his theory/process that led to him doubling down and bringing in his "own guys" that won't question him (Kodi, Herb Hand, etc).

damn....

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

is anyone really suprised that Gustav would not negatively recruit? Dude never has had the killer instinct and is the reason we have almost or have blown a lot of big leads with him at the helm. Lsu 2014 and arky this year are exceptions not the rule with gus.

I seriously want to debate you on this but I can't. S***

18 hours ago, AU64 said:

If you've read WDE's posts then you know that at least some are.

11 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm not the only one here that has heard this. 

Yup. I forgot Golf & Bird among others.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm not the only one here that has heard this. 

So if that is true and I expect it is......, who do these PTBs think they can bring who will do better?    I'm serious.....PTBs get all riled up about the performance of a coach and eventually find some justification for running him off......and then end up with Kirby Smart or Dooley or someone like that.....or even Chiz or Gus. 

I'm wondering if the requirement to be a PTB is only financial generosity....and not necessarily a realistic view of the pool of available replacements. Schools all over the country shoot themselves in the feet regularly ......trying to respond to the demands of their PTBs......and at places like UTk or Texas for example, who is able to hold the PTBs accountable ?

Gus nor Rhett should get one more year. They should have been fired after last years 7-6 overall & 2-6 in the SEC record. But thanks Jacobs Gus & Rhett got another year. Look where it got us this year. We lost to Georgia AGAIN and unless there's another kick6, Auburn will lose to Alabama AGAIN. That means Gus will be 1-3 against GA and 1-3 against ALA.

Edited by auburn4ever

36 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Gus nor Rhett should get one more year. They should have been fired after last years 7-6 overall & 2-6 in the SEC record. But thanks Jacobs Gus & Rhett got another year. Look where it got us this year. We lost to Georgia AGAIN and unless there's another kick6, Auburn will lose to Alabama AGAIN. That means Gus will be 1-3 against GA and 1-3 against ALA.

And will have lost to both 3 years in a row.......