***2017 4* JUCO QB Jarrett Stidham Signs with AU!!! (12/14/16)

Elephant Tipper

51 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

This is the most likely scenario. 

Gee I hope not.....but as far as this board is concerned, if we don't get Stidham, we need to go ahead and forfeit the 2017 season 'cause there does not seem to be a plan B out there that anyone is talking about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I have no clue. The staff has made sure all connections are silent about QB recruiting outside of Stidham right now. All that is known is they do plan to sign a true QB. Knowing Gus and Rhett though  they could be completely lost on the situation and not know what to do.

Gus can keep a lot of stuff about the program silent but recruiting isn't one of them. Just no way. 

And i hope AU has plan B at QB. 

Here is an interesting article from SEC Country:

Texas A&M reportedly hopes to land former Baylor QB Jarrett Stidham to be its starting quarterback in 2017.

247Sports’ Taylor Hamm reported Tuesday that Texas A&M coaches have been in contact with Stidham “for months.” However, the Aggies will have to beat out Auburn for his commitment. The former No. 1 overall recruit in the nation visited College Station last week.

“In fact, not only did Stidham speak to Kevin Sumlin last week for close to an hour, but as many know by now, he was in College Station on Saturday for the second time this season,” Hamm said. “After the game, Stidham met the entire Mazzone family, including Taylor Mazzone and Mrs. Mazzone. He’s also been in steady contact with (offensive coordinator) Noel Mazzone since mid-September.”

However, Auburn could beat out the Aggies for Stidham because of his relationship with the Tigers’ coaching staff. The Tigers have also been recruiting Stidham since he announced he was transferring from Baylor in July.

“Auburn is a huge threat here to the Aggies as his relationship with (offensive coordinator) Rhett Lashlee is very strong,” Hamm said. “He’s also visited Auburn twice and has plans to make another trip to see the Tigers in a little over a week.”

Texas A&M apparently wants Stidham to lead the offense in 2017. They expect he would then declare for the NFL draft. That would allow 2017 commit Kellen Mond, the nation’s No. 4 dual-threat quarterback, to run the offense in 2018.

The Aggies kept their recruitment of Stidham quiet to prevent any drama with Mond. Sumlin and the staff talked with Mond and his family Monday night before the news broke. They plan to speak with him again the week of Thanksgiving.

“The pitch to Mond and his family next week is simple,” Hamm said, “they want to ideally use Stidham as a one-year buffer to get him ready to be their future in 2018 and beyond.”

Hamm also reported that if Art Briles or Kendal Briles, Stidham’s former head coach and offensive coordinator at Baylor, took jobs elsewhere, the quarterback could follow them.

Texas A&M is pursuing Stidham after losing three former starting quarterbacks–Kenny Hill, Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray–to transfers during 2015. The Aggies brought in graduate transfer Trevor Knight from Oklahoma in the offseason. Jake Hubenak is currently their No. 1 QB after Knight suffered a shoulder injury against Mississippi State in Week 10.

All ratings and rankings are from the 247Sports Composite unless otherwise noted.

SEC-phone.png
Get Breaking News Fast!
Download the new SEC Country app.
Get it on the AppStore
Get it on Google Play

It explains the relationship between Stidham and Mond as they see it.  I not sure Mond should see it this way, but its their spin on the way things will work out.

Edited by I_M4_AU
Copy and pasted the article

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Here is an interesting article from SEC Country:

https://www.seccountry.com/texas-am/.WCt1Kt1XRAA.mailto

It explains the relationship between Stidham and Mond as they see it.  I not sure Mond should see it this way, but its their spin on the way things will work out.

Link didn't work

11 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

So based on that article Stidham would only play 2017 and not 2018? Would he be eligible to enter draft only after one more year?

If my math is correct, Stidham was a Freshman in 2015 and did not play in 2016.  2017 would be his 3rd year removed from HS, so I think he would be eligible.  I just don't see how Stidham could be a 1st or 2nd rounder in 2018.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus can keep a lot of stuff about the program silent but recruiting isn't one of them. Just no way. 

okay so maybe I used the wrong verbiage. Regardless he could be wrong but Keith has said multiple times in the past few months the only info that has come out about Auburn QB recruiting is their interest to take Stidham and if they can't get him then take another QB to go with Bishop in the class.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Like last year? >:(

• Like 1

This is just a guess but with the way things have been trending I would not be suprised if he did not visit AU again and just announced to TAMU in a few weeks. The way I look at it if Gus does not land stidham there is a decent chance he could be out of a job this time next year.

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is just a guess but with the way things have been trending I would not be suprised if he did not visit AU again and just announced to TAMU in a few weeks. The way I look at it if Gus does not land stidham there is a decent chance he could be out of a job this time next year.

Humm

so he is being told he will start and do well enough to leave for the nfl with two years of eligibility left? that is a pitch to both jt and mond.. that is how they lose qbs. make promises they cant know if are possible or not. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

okay so maybe I used the wrong verbiage. Regardless he could be wrong but Keith has said multiple times in the past few months the only info that has come out about Auburn QB recruiting is their interest to take Stidham and if they can't get him then take another QB to go with Bishop in the class.

We keep doing this and look where it has us... with a bunch of plan B's.    I want a plan A. No offense to our current guys just saying.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, alexava said:

so he is being told he will start and do well enough to leave for the nfl with two years of eligibility left? that is a pitch to both jt and mond.. that is how they lose qbs. make promises they cant know if are possible or not. 

THIS^ From what I've heard, that's very much what cost them their last two QBs. Sumlin promised them both the world and obviously couldn't deliver to either, so they lost both. If they buy into this, expect at least one of them to transfer in 2018.

Edited by lionheartkc
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

THIS^ From what I've heard, that's very much what cost them their last two QBs. Sumlin promised them both the world and obviously couldn't deliver to either, so they lost both. If they buy into this, expect at least one of them to transfer in 2018.

And of course, how do guys like these ever get so self-centered that they actually believe that after a couple years of college they will be able to compete as a QB in the NFL ?   Seems to me that most of these 5* QBs live in a fantasy world. 

Watching what happened this past weekend at uga and looking ahead over the next few years, this Stidham kid is basically the future for Gus. If he does not come to AU I think it will be the straw that breaks the camel's back in the downfall of the Gus era at Auburn. As we all witnessed - it does not matter how good your defense is if you do not have a decent starting QB. 

Side note: We all see it. We have jumped the shark with our QB recruiting. Basically if we don't get this kid we are going to battle over the next few years with SW (hurt), Queen (will probably never play), and 2 players that we are hoping will be the next Nick Marshall but were not highly recruited at all at the QB position. Anyone that watched Nick Marshall in high school knows that he was an unreal QB. Didn't he break records? But this year we are recruiting a guy that threw less than 75 passes this year total. 

That is why Stidham, or a TRUE HS QB, MUST sign with AU this year. All other top programs in the SEC West are bringing in top QBs or are starting very talented freshmen. We are the odd man out. We will be left out if we don't do something this year.  

36 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Watching what happened this past weekend at uga and looking ahead over the next few years, this Stidham kid is basically the future for Gus. If he does not come to AU I think it will be the straw that breaks the camel's back in the downfall of the Gus era at Auburn. As we all witnessed - it does not matter how good your defense is if you do not have a decent starting QB. 

Side note: We all see it. We have jumped the shark with our QB recruiting. Basically if we don't get this kid we are going to battle over the next few years with SW (hurt), Queen (will probably never play), and 2 players that we are hoping will be the next Nick Marshall but were not highly recruited at all at the QB position. Anyone that watched Nick Marshall in high school knows that he was an unreal QB. Didn't he break records? But this year we are recruiting a guy that threw less than 75 passes this year total. 

That is why Stidham, or a TRUE HS QB, MUST sign with AU this year. All other top programs in the SEC West are bringing in top QBs or are starting very talented freshmen. We are the odd man out. We will be left out if we don't do something this year.  

You might be right. It has been very disappointing lately seeing so many swings and misses on the QB front. 

18 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

You might be right. It has been very disappointing lately seeing so many swings and misses on the QB front. 

Part or all of this could be solved by just bringing in an OC that can develop QBs, while directing our offense. I'm sure there is an OC that knows how to analyze a QB and help them improve or am i just expecting too much? Quality QBs are attracted to OCs that help them improve their game. It seems like AU hasn't done that, except for maybe Cam and that's debatable.

6 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Part or all of this could be solved by just bringing in an OC that can develop QBs, while directing our offense. I'm sure there is an OC that knows how to analyze a QB and help them improve or am i just expecting too much? Quality QBs are attracted to OCs that help them improve their game. It seems like AU hasn't done that, except for maybe Cam and that's debatable.

Gus imo would not do this after the first game or two. Got to have total control

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Gus imo would not do this after the first game or two. Got to have total control

Maybe but the only QC that I know of in the entire world who can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear is Lane Kiffen.  

Nobody in the SEC has developed a QB in I can't remember when.    In fact, I'm mostly of the opinion that nobody can develop a QB.....and that a guy either has IT....or he doesn't.

The OCs and gurus can mess around with them all they want...but mostly they are about as good as Sophs as they will ever become.....and by that, I'm giving them one year to get adapted to the speed of the game before they take over. 

I'm more than willing to be shown othewise.....

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe but the only QC that I know of in the entire world who can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear is Lane Kiffen.  

Nobody in the SEC has developed a QB in I can't remember when.    In fact, I'm mostly of the opinion that nobody can develop a QB.....and that a guy either has IT....or he doesn't.

The OCs and gurus can mess around with them all they want...but mostly they are about as good as Sophs as they will ever become.....and by that, I'm giving them one year to get adapted to the speed of the game before they take over. 

I'm more than willing to be shown othewise.....

Gus sure seems to know how to get the LEAST though out of Qbs that are not juco transfers.

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus sure seems to know how to get the LEAST though out of Qbs that are not juco transfers.

could be true by 2 years is not much of a sample....and as for Cam and Nick....gotta give him some credit for attracting to AU when neither had really big time offers as far as I can recall.   I'm just saying that this concept of coaches "developing"  QBs is way over-rated......

Man to read this thread you wouldn't know just four days ago we were 3rd in the nation in rushing 1st in sec and have a 6'0 195# qb that runs about a 4.8 with just over mediocre arm strength leading the sec in completion % and qbr and about #8 in the nation. And ranked in the top 8 teams...It would sound like we sucked and having no success at all. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, AU64 said:

Dak Prescott says hello. 

Every facet of his game improved every year. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Dak Prescott says hello. 

Every facet of his game improved every year. 

Not really......http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=201950  check his stats.... after his freshman year....more passing, less rushing, similar stats....but vared year to year.... likely based on the cast he was surrounded by.

But I'm glad to hear from Dak and that he is having a good year at Dallas.