2014 Spring Practice - Day 3

RunInRed

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus Malzahn: "First day in pads, I thought our guys were excited to be out there. … It was a very physical practice."
Malzahn on @carllawson14: We have high expectations for Carl. You can just tell he's a lot more confident out there.
Gus Malzahn: "We still need to improve. We're never going to be satisfied."
Malzahn said he doesn't expect the quarterbacks to go live this spring.
Malzahn on QB Nick Marshall: "It's just the way he's carrying himself. … The game's a lot slower for him it seems."
Malzahn said Pat Miller worked with the first team at RT today, Corey Grant was the first-team RB. Added both positions will rotate daily.
Malzahn on RB Peyton Barber: "Being a scout team guy you learn a lot. … He's a tough guy and he's going to get his opportunity."

@AUBlog

Malzahn on QBs: "they've all had good weeks, not just today."
Malzahn says LaDarius Owens is unlikely to be available in the spring
Malzahn says Trent Fisher left the program after the season
Malzahn says "minor details" to be finalized on assistant contracts. Nobody "unhappy." Public records indicate compensation was addressed.

@JamesCrepea

Malzahn: "Guys have improved. ... Overall, I was pleased with their attitude." Said that it was "a good first week of practice."
Malzahn on D'haquille Williams: "He's off to a good start." Says he's doing everything asked of him and made some good plays one-on-one.
Malzahn says Anthony Swain "isn't going through spring right now" and would give an update at a later time.

@wareagleextra

Malzahn "most pleased" with effort and focus.

@PMARSHONAU

Auburn's Gus Malzahn says running back Peyton Barber "is a guy we're going to give a good look this spring… He wants to be good."

@AUGoldMIne

Malzahn is impressed with Derrick Moncrief's effort and his ability will improve on his comfortability
Punting and Kicking will go live next week and evaluations will be conducted then.

http://auburn.247spo...-Malzahn-184195 (free content)

Jason Dufner sighting at #Auburn's athletics complex today

BjWN6ElIMAAkm0z.jpg

@Niehbur247

Auburn center Reese Dismukes on offensive line: "I think we're way ahead of where we were last year at this point."

@AUGoldMine

Kris Frost said JaViere Mitchell is hurt right now.

Reese Dismukes on LT between Miller & Coleman: "both of them have done a great job so far. I doubt that position will be filled this spring"

@JamesCrepea

CB Jonathan Jones is competing for first-team corner opposite Jonathon Mincy. Jones also competing at kick returner.

Reese Dismukes said he's working on improving his blocking at the second level and pass protection.

@JHokanson

Nick Marshall: "The expectations this year are high."

Marshall says you can't "dwell on the past" when asked about the loss in the BCS championship game.

@wareagleextra

Nick Marshall: "The expectations this year are higher. ... We know the expectations are higher, so we're relentless."

@JoelAEricksonAU

Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall on being vocal: "I just feel like if I speak up more, they'll just follow my lead."

Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall: "I like throwing the ball, but when it comes down to it, we're still going to run the football."

@AUGoldMine

Nick Marshall on new WR D'haquille Williams: "He's very impressive, he's a guy that will make a play for you in the air."

Nick Marshall on early enrollee Stanton Truitt: "He's doing well. He's still learning the offense. He's asking questions."

@AUBlog

Nick Marshall on Duke Williams: "He's very impressive." Mentions the receiving corps as a whole, "we're going to be sick this year."

Marshall on his understanding of the #Auburn offense: "I'm very comfortable with the offense, I'm just playing ball right now."

@JHokanson

Marshall: "Coach Malzahn says we weren't fast enough last year." Goal is to get to the line quicker and play faster.

@JamesCrepea

DE Carl Lawson says he is working on becoming a complete player

@PMARSHONAU

Accd to Carl Lawson, Montravius Adams and Gabe Wright are working at DE. Adams is behind him on left side, Gabe and Gimel President on right.

http://auburn.247spo...-at-DE-26675396 (free content)

DE Carl Lawson said he's working on overall awareness, getting off the ball this spring. "I want to be able to amp up my abilities."

Lawson said Montravius Adams is playing some defensive end right now. Also said Gabe Wright is working some at end on the other side.

The thought of Mon Adams and Gabe Wright playing some defensive end is intriguing to say the least. Could be some big DL packages ahead.

To be clear, the defensive tackles and defensive ends rotate some at both positions to create versatility.

@JHokanson

Carl Lawson says he was "disappointed" with how long it took him to adjust to the college game last year.

@JamesCrepea

Lawson was disappointed in himself for not picking up the college game any more quickly last year? Wow. That impresses me, and considering I already considered him pretty beastly, that's saying something. He has an outstanding opportunity to step into the nationally elite this year if he continues with that mindset and his work ethic!

I LOVE what I'm hearing from our coaches and players!!!!

We have a lot to look forward to for 2014!!!!

Me too !! Sounds like everyone is laser focused.....WDE !!

Lawson was disappointed in himself for not picking up the college game any more quickly last year? Wow. That impresses me, and considering I already considered him pretty beastly, that's saying something. He has an outstanding opportunity to step into the nationally elite this year if he continues with that mindset and his work ethic!

Impressive, but not surprising. Every interview I've seen from Lawson (dating back to high school), he says he can do better, even after a monster game. Love his attitude.

Can't wait to see how good he is next year and beyond.

Marshall on his understanding of the #Auburn offense: "I'm very comfortable with the offense, I'm just playing ball right now."

This quote made me laugh for some reason. Just thinking how good he/we may be this year.

it was tough to watch J. Jones on that kickoff. Not because FSU scored, but you could see he tried his best to get up a few times. Hopefully he can avoid the injury bug this season and be a playmaker in the secondary.

interesting. Could go with a double star look. Garrett more of a linebacker, Therezie more of a safety. If Garrett can hold his own in coverage it'd keep the offense from attacking a run/pass weakness on one side of the field. Almost a hybrid 4-4-1/4-2-5 with the 4-4-1 look having better pass coverage.

Archived