2014 Spring Practice - Day 3

RunInRed

interesting. Could go with a double star look. Garrett more of a linebacker, Therezie more of a safety. If Garrett can hold his own in coverage it'd keep the offense from attacking a run/pass weakness on one side of the field. Almost a hybrid 4-4-1/4-2-5 with the 4-4-1 look having better pass coverage.

That's really what the defense looks like a fair amount of the time, just with a boundary safety and "Star" safety instead of outside linebackers. They move closer to/farther from the line depending upon the defensive play call and the offensive formation, but with Derrick Moncrief, who is 6'3 and 220-225, slated to play the boundary spot, it isn't as if we won't have size to put at either of the outside safety positions.

I was thinking more a long the lines of removing a safety for the 2nd star instead of a LB. Basically having Frost, McKinzy, Therezie, Garrett and whoever would play the safety spot on the field at the same time. Moncrief could take the place of Garrett or Therezie.

You misunderstand what I'm getting at. In CEJ's 4-2-5, the "Star" position IS a safety. There's the BS (boundary safety), FS (free safety), and "Star" safety. And, again, Moncrief is listed at anywhere from 6'2, 215 to 6'3, 225, while Garrett is listed at 6'1, 220.

I went into more depth about this in a thread several weeks ago, but quite honestly, Ellis Johnson's version of the 4-2-5 bears a striking resemblance to the old 4-4, IMO. The difference lies in the versatility; instead of two outside linebackers, he utilizes two bigger safeties who have the athleticism to cover.

I'd love to get bigbird to weigh in on this; prankster that he is, the guy knows a heck a lot about defensive schemes.

Red, you're right in the fact that the 4-2-5 can flex into what many know as the 4-4 stack. As far as the "star" goes, think of him kind of as the "strong safety" in the free/strong safety dichotomy that were used in previous schemes.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re wright/Adams work at De ...

CEJ mentioned a loooooong time ago about using multiple schemes including a 3-4

Could this simply be simply testing the waters?

or working in some clever stunts and twists

Carl's height could be an issue but Dee Ford isn't much taller if at all is he? I think his play will expel any doubts teams may have. Heck, I hope they can convince him to stay all four years for this reason whether it's true or not. Just don't let Carl find out, he might get angry and go all Incredible Hulk on us!

Re wright/Adams work at De ...

CEJ mentioned a loooooong time ago about using multiple schemes including a 3-4

Could this simply be simply testing the waters?

or working in some clever stunts and twists

.....and/or also giving the OTs trying to land the LT job a different look to see how they handle bigger DEs.

Sometimes it helps to have a second perspective. By practicing at another position you gain insight into your regular position. Not something you want to be doing during the season but it can serve many purposes. If someone gets hurt or there is a particular opposing player we feel we can exploit by sliding someone over occasionally. This is what Spring is for. We have just been such a cluster muck the last few years we couldn't do anything basics. Gus is going to smash Bert!

I know it's been mentioned before as a possibility, but al.com article says McKinzy and Frost have swapped positions. If McKinzy can pick up on the calls, this will be a good move.

Carl Lawson is 6'2", 255 lbs (so far)

Dwight Freeney is 6'1", 265 lbs

Freeney went #11 in the First round in 2002.

Unless something changed with regards to importance of size, it shouldn't have much affect on Carl's draft ranking.

Not saying Carl = Freeney (yet), but Carl looks up to and patterns himself after Freeney, even got into football because of Freeney. Also, he's been compared to Freeney several times.

Carl will be as good as he wants to be, and he always wants to be BETTER.

He may be my favorite player on the team. So glad he didn't go to bama.

Speaking of Freeney, I also found this, from March 12

Ole Ellis doesn't have the excuse this year to deflect the Roof-esque job and 2012 numbers many on this forum brushed off last year. I'm concerned about this goofy placements of Adams at end, Garrett at safety, 2 apparent stars etc. His coaching IMO is the one detractor and jury still out factor on this staff. How about walking before you try to run EJ?

Not going to blast you like many of the lemmings because my initial reaction to the Gus coaching staff was that Ellis Johnson (and Grimes, the OL coach) were the weakest hires. After year one, Grimes is trending upward while EJ is still "wait and see".

wde

Who was the QB throwing the passes???

At the top of the thread it said Tony Stevens. Lord knows what Gus is up to. I checked the number out and it was in fact Tony Stevens. This season is going to be very interesting. WDE!!!

At the top of the thread it said Tony Stevens. Lord knows what Gus is up to. I checked the number out and it was in fact Tony Stevens. This season is going to be very interesting. WDE!!!

I'm confused.

Tony Stevens is a receiver (#8). What's so unusual about him catching passes? (i.e. Gus up to something?)

Nick was throwing and then JJ.

Did JJ throw the long pass down the middle?

Yes he did. You get a quick glimpse of his number as he fakes the handoff

;D

Yes he did. You get a quick glimpse of his number as he fakes the handoff

I thought #8 was throwing to #8 at first glance but I guess it was #6 throwing and that is definitely JJ. It was hard to tell in the video between 6 and 8, but that would have Cass McKinzy throwing to Tony Stevens and I don't think we have gotten that tricky yet!! My bad. ;D

That was an impressive throw. The first out pattern was a pretty impressive throw also.

Yes, Nick threw the laser on the sideline pass and JJ threw over the middle. Stevens looked really good catching that football. The muscle and strength he added is helping him a lot.

That first throw from Nick is unreal. I never really get used to seeing a guy his size throw the ball so freaking hard. He's got a stronger arm than any Auburn QB I can remember. It's a little like watching Lincecum early in his career. Small frame but the ball just jumps out of his hand. Physics be damned. Johnson throws a pretty deep ball, but Marshall has a stronger arm. It's not all that close. The only guy I can really compare Nick to Michael Vick. From the speed to the arm strength to the size (unfortunately right down to losing a national title to FSU).

Anyway, a few things, (1) you guys are crazy on Ellis Johnson as a question mark. His resume speaks for itself.

(2) It really speaks to our interior line depth and quality that Johnson and Garner are willing to experiment with Wright and Adams on the edge. It also speaks to our need at DE. I don't mind playing a quick DT at DE, especially on early downs. That's essentially what we did in 2004 by starting Brett Eddins (zero pass rush skills or instincts) and Doug Langenfeld over Groves, Gunn, and McClover. Wright reminds me a bit of Sen-Derrick Marks. If we need situational bodies on the edge, he's a good one. Plus, what does it hurt? Does Wright really need more reps inside? He'll be fine with or without a few extra snaps inside during spring ball.

(3) Owens missing all of spring isn't that significant unless he isn't back by fall. As the only returning starter on the edge, we'd miss him.

(4) Nick looks relaxed. He's going to be fun to watch this year with more weapons on the outside and a dominant line in front.

Anyway, a few things, (1) you guys are crazy on Ellis Johnson as a question mark. His resume speaks for itself.

I think a lot of people are knocking him for his head coaching resume, which does speak for itself, but not in a good way. My impression is that as a DC he was solid but not spectacular. (Feel free to challenge my impression with actual facts... I haven't looked into it in depth, just going off what I recall of his work at USC.) I expect our D to be better than last year. I worry that we don't have the depth to be really good, but I'm willing to give CEJ the benefit of the doubt (for now).

Archived