2014 Spring Practice - Day 3

RunInRed

I think it's fair to say that- overall, but maybe not at every position group- this team very well could be more *talented* than the previous defenses discussed (btw, how is the 2006 team getting left out?); however, the team that walked off the field in Pasadena in January was nowhere as *good* as those defenses.

They might get there, but when the 3 best guys returning were true freshmen last year- and all play in the same unit- there's a lot of growing yet to do.

Also, CEJ was quoted today as saying that Trovon Reed is a bright spot at corner. I'm glad to hear it, but I don't see how that can be a compliment to that position group.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McLoofus, you have to remember we have a lack of bodies at CB. Ford moved back to Safety. Mincy is a given. Jones is working with the ones. Melton has very little experience. Davis is a complete unknown, and Holsey is non-contact.

If you're telling me Reed is a competent body that could play backup, that's a bright spot.

It also explains why we signed Bessent and Ruffin and Turner at CB. I don't expect them to, but all of those guys could factor into the rotation.

Renilla, I love your passion for our current defensive personnel.

The bottom line is, I don't see a single player in our defensive backfield that would start on that 2004 team, and I see maybe one LB. Cass McKinzy looks as good as Kevin Sears (who was 240 lbs., by the way, so not all the LBs were small guys). Even if you put the old players in the new system, I don't think Therezie starts.

I'm excited about some of our guys. I think we've got potential, but they are a long, long way from deserving any comparison with 2004. At the moment, it would be a stretch to compare this defensive team to 2008 (with Jerraud Powers, Sen'Derrick Marks, Walt McFadden, Rick/Blanc/Clayton, Tray Blackmon, etc.). I like our potential. I need to see major steps forward from a lot of guys.

Also, let's not compare Josh Holsey, a fine player with great instincts, to the best CB that's ever put on an Auburn jersey. Holsey doesn't have Rogers length or speed. They aren't comparable. I like Josh. I think he's the best CB on the roster (even if he's playing Safety), but that's not a fair comparison. Compare him to Rod Hood or Jerraud Powers or other All-SEC CBs. I'm fine with that. He's just not Carlos Rogers.

I'm not saying that they have played up to that level at this point, nor am I saying that they will play up to that level. I'm more pointing out the potential they have...but potential is nothing more than unused energy, so until/unless it comes to fruition, that's all it is.

As for Holsey, I didn't mean to imply that he was as good as Rogers, I meant it exactly the way I said it: as a freshman, he showed signs of having that same kind of potential. I honestly don't know that he might not be better suited to safety, however, because of his football IQ and ability to lead, so perhaps a better comparison is a hybrid between Rogers and Junior Rosegreen. I do, however, think that he would at least challenge for a starting spot if he were put into the mix of the 04 secondary. Jonathan Mincy wouldn't be a pushover opposite Rogers at corner, either, IMO.

And at linebacker, considering that we only use two of them now, then even if only one of them would start on the 04 team, that's half the unit we're talking about being good enough to start on one of the best defenses in the history of a program known for dominating defenses. As it is, however, I happen to think the light bulb is just about to come on for Kris Frost, and he's going to start reminding us why he drew comparisons to Karlos Dansby out of high school, and I think flipping him and Cass is going to benefit the both of them.

But for me, the reason I feel as good as I do about the defense is the line. Football is a game that is won in the trenches, on both sides of the ball, and we are absolutely stacked on the D-line. Last year, the defense excelled on third down and in the red zone, primarily due to the line, and I don't see us taking the least bit of a step back along the defensive front. I believe Jeffrey Whitaker is going to have a breakout season as as senior, now that he's completely healthy, and I think he's going to anchor an interior line that will make running the ball between the tackles exceedingly difficult. And given that Coach Garner likes to rotate so many players to keep them fresh, I expect to see a great deal of havoc in opposing backfields as the game gets closer to its conclusion.

Let us not forget that right now all we have for the 2014 defense are projections, while the 04 defense is etched into our minds forever. Yes, I am an eternal optimist when it comes to Auburn, but I honestly believe that having a year under their belts within this defensive system will make a great deal of difference.

I was including Therezie in the starting LB discussion. I don't think he could take AT Williams' job, and I know Frost and/or McKinzy would back up Travis Williams. The only question is whether either guy could beat out Sears. It would be close.

McLoofus, you have to remember we have a lack of bodies at CB. Ford moved back to Safety. Mincy is a given. Jones is working with the ones. Melton has very little experience. Davis is a complete unknown, and Holsey is non-contact.

If you're telling me Reed is a competent body that could play backup, that's a bright spot.

It also explains why we signed Bessent and Ruffin and Turner at CB. I don't expect them to, but all of those guys could factor into the rotation.

I think we're saying the same thing, at least about the CBs. The fact that Reed might step in right away and be a contributor- not necessarily first string, but a contributor- speaks well about his move and simultaneously not as well about the group he's joining. As you said, it's more about lack of experience and healthy bodies- I'm not the one to question the talent level- but we are not deep.

Heck Powers was a shut down corner. IMO he wasn't too far behind Rogers. He was the last corner that played for Auburn that I didn't worry about in coverage.

I thought Irons was the second best cb we have had since Rogers.

Powers was really good. It's a tough call between him, Irons, and McFadden (as a senior). All three were legit All-SEC guys.

I remember that powers sort made fun of McFadden in a big brother type of way. Think powers was much more talented. Just as far as being picked on I remember teams stopped throwing at powers period.

McFadden had a good year but he gave up as many plays as he made. Teams passed all over us that year

Archived