New Roughing the Passer Rule

Auburn4Winners

Thanks to WE84, I was thinking this was basically the same thing as the Brady rule. It hasn't really affected NFL games very much. It just prevents guys from diving into a QBs knees (like Pollard did to Brady). I don't have a problem with it.

WHY can't they just line up and play football--without these nitpicking rules??

Have you not heard about the legions of dead due to things like this and the HUNH offense?

J/K It appears the intent of this rule is similar to the targeting rule last year, protect a vulnerable player. Hopefully the implementation will be much better.

If it's actually enforced like the Brady rule, it'll be a small speed bump, and will rarely be called.

I have no real reason to believe the NCAA will do that though... It's all in the implementation.

The hits low are a direct result of the rules about hitting above the shoulders. That's why we have seen more leg injuries not only on QBs but also on WRs. Now they want to take that off the table and make the target smaller and smaller. Add in the OL non-holding calls and the no hands call in the secondary and soon we can just have the defenses stand in one place.

Sounds like we are headed to flag or touch football.

Can a defender on the ground grab the passer by the foot?

While a valid question, I would guess that the majority of the time when a defender is on the ground, he's already been blocked, i.e., "abated", to be in that position.

Let me get this straight:

Can't hit him high. Can't hit him low. Can't hit him late. Can't touch his helmet. Can't lower your helmet. Can't drive him into the ground.

Geez Luiz.... Just put all of them in non contact jerseys.

Archived