2013 4* OL Austin Golson (Ole Miss signee & transferred to AU)

TigerProwl24

this was in an al.com article today

"Turns out Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze didn't have much say when Ole Miss offensive tackle Austin Golson asked if he could leave for Auburn.

The Prattville native was not necessarily released from his national letter of intent as much as he was allowed to transfer under NCAA rules, Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze told AL.com Tuesday.

"Well, I didn't let him go," Freeze said at the Regions Tradition Pro-Am at Shoal Creek. "When a kid satisfies his national letter of intent, which is two full-time semesters, he can go walk on anywhere he wants to, so a lot of people don't know that."

Never thought of that, but I guess it makes sense if the scholarships are a one year renewal deal. Maybe the difference between this and Corey Grant's situation is that Grant signed on for the next year before deciding to transfer?

Nice find. Did not know that about players being able to leave for another D1 school as a walk on without needing a release from the original school. Thanks for posting.

As for your ?s, The NLI and scholly papers are 2 entirely different document and do not have any bearing on each other. Schools can do 1 or 4 year schollies. It's completely their choice as there is no governance requirements. The Corey sitch may not be different at all. Corey transferred to AU in the Fall of 2011 and went on scholly in the Fall of 2012 thus serving his 1 year walk on sentence so to speak to satisfy NCAA rules. Since CG went on scholly before he was at AU 2 years he counted to the 2012 class I believe it was. If Golson goes on scholly before 2 years is up at AU, which is very likely, then he will count against a yearly signing limit also.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I see it he'll be in the same situation as Grant was. AU is prohibited from putting him on scholarship until he sits out his year just as Grant did. So much for Mr. Nice Guy Freeze, he's treating Golson the same way Saban treated Grant.

I think Freeze is a good man. From a sheer competitive standpoint I understand HCs not wanting to allow talented players they worked hard to sign end up on a competitor's roster, especially in your own division. Ole Miss is working very hard to eat at the same table with Auburn, GA LSU bama & FL. They are doing a good job recruiting and have signed more players we were interested in than any Ole Miss staff in recent memory. Personally I hope they underperform this year and fall off a bit. The SEC is tough enough and with bama being untouchable (as long as Emmert is Prez), especially in AL we can't afford o lose players like Golson to OM.

I think not standing in Golson's way was the right thing to do, but imagine Greg Robinson to LSU a year ago under similar circumstances. I think most here would range from conflicted to outright pissed. We are very fortunate to gain Golson and I hope things turnout better with his grand parents than it seems to appear.

War Eagle !

Quote"

I think not standing in Golson's way was the right thing to do"

What the new information tells us is that Freeze DID stand in Golson's way, exactly as Saban stood in Grant's way. In other words, there was nothing Freeze could have done to prevent Golson from leaving Ole Miss and enrolling at Auburn. Freeze could have given Golson a release which would have allowed Golson to go on scholarship at once but Freeze did not give a release.

The fact that Auburn would have made Golson do a year as a walkon anyway doesn't change the fact that Freeze did not issue the release. Ergo, Freeze loses his Mr. Nice Guy image.

If i had to guess I bet Freeze didn't want to set a precedent of letting players switch to teams in his own division. He might have done it for Gus but then he would then have to do it for every player that wanted to go anywhere. No special treatment and all that. I don't know how nice of a guy Freeze is but I would be against Gus allowing any of our players to transfer to and SEC West school and UGA. So i can't blame him for taking this position.

I may be mistaken, but I believe there is an unwritten rule among coaches to make college kids honor their scholarship. If one coach stands in the way of transfers and others don't there would be increased pressure for all coaches to allow transfers or else they would get a bad rep..... Am I correct or did I pull that info from left field?

I may be mistaken, but I believe there is an unwritten rule among coaches to make college kids honor their scholarship. If one coach stands in the way of transfers and others don't there would be increased pressure for all coaches to allow transfers or else they would get a bad rep..... Am I correct or did I pull that info from left field?

Some do and some don't. Seems like big news in last year or so from Stoops not granting the release. SEC coaches have been reasonable with it.

The coaches can't stop a player from going to wherever he chooses. All they can do is deny the release and make the kid pay his way for the first year at his new school.

I don't know all the facts, but based on what I do know, I don't blame Freeze. Of course, to each his own.

I don't know all the facts, but based on what I do know, I don't blame Freeze. Of course, to each his own.

Freeze only did what I and most anybody else would have done. In other words, if you leave me high and dry and you'll have to pay. However, that makes the "what a nice guy" comments from above invalid.

I'd be mad too if I was Freeze, The guy you had previously thought was going to anchor the RT position for the next 3 years wanted to leave to a division rival who runs the same system. Ole Miss and AU compete for the same type of players due to the similar offenses.

Remind me again. He will have to sit out this season even as a walk on?

Remind me again. He will have to sit out this season even as a walk on?

Yes. Ncaa transfer rules.

thank god freeze and malzahn are friends and respect what each other have been trying to do. big pickup

Freeze did nothing to release Golson and couldn't have prevented him from coming to AU, but i agree it is a very nice pickup

Picking up a good player here. What seems to be the problem? I like that he is walking on. Maybe the fam isn't sweating the in state tuition, and he doesn't want to miss a year.

Picking up a good player here. What seems to be the problem? I like that he is walking on. Maybe the fam isn't sweating the in state tuition, and he doesn't want to miss a year.

He has to miss a year of football. He cannot play this coming year per rules. He can play in 2015. He is a talented lineman. He was highly recruited out of HS and started at Ole Miss as a true freshman. He will most likely get a scholly after his walk on year.

I don't think there is a problem with the player or him walking on. Early in the discussion it looked like Ol' Miss Coach Freeze had done Golson and Auburn a favor but it turns out Freeze did no favors. I think that's what the recent pages have been about.

Quote"

What the new information tells us is that Freeze Did stand in Golson's way, exactly as Saban stood in Grant's way. In other words, there was nothing Freeze could have done to prevent Golson from leaving Ole Miss and enrolling at Auburn. Freeze could have given Golson a release which would have allowed Golson to go on scholarship at once but Freeze did not give a release.

The fact that Auburn would have made Golson do a year as a walkon anyway doesn't change the fact that Freeze did not issue the release. Ergo, Freeze doesn't loses add to his Mr. Nice Guy image.

let me (try to) FTFY

And add: one instance of not going the extra mile, doesn't necessarily undo the other times of making such a walk.

Quote"

What the new information tells us is that Freeze Did stand in Golson's way, exactly as Saban stood in Grant's way. In other words, there was nothing Freeze could have done to prevent Golson from leaving Ole Miss and enrolling at Auburn. Freeze could have given Golson a release which would have allowed Golson to go on scholarship at once but Freeze did not give a release.

The fact that Auburn would have made Golson do a year as a walkon anyway doesn't change the fact that Freeze did not issue the release. Ergo, Freeze doesn't loses add to his Mr. Nice Guy image.

let me (try to) FTFY

And add: one instance of not going the extra mile, doesn't necessarily undo the other times of making such a walk.

Fix your own writings. If mine need fixing I'm capable of doing it myself. Care to post a list of instances when Freeze intentionally hurt his own program in order to help some struggling kid or school?

Quote"

let me (try to) FTFY

Fix your own writings. If mine need fixing I'm capable of doing it myself. Care to post a list of instances when Freeze intentionally hurt his own program in order to help some struggling kid or school?

Oh, don't get me wrong...

... there's nothing wrong with your writing or spelling for that matter. The fix was made to something else.

As for your request: You might try this link to see why some might/could consider Hugh Freeze to be a nice guy,

Werner spent the next three years there. North Delta went 27-7 and won two district championships. Werner turned away interest from college coaches who needed assistants, telling them he couldn't afford to spend the time required on the road recruiting and in the office – away from his children. Instead, he settled into life as a single father and high school coach.

"I became a much better parent," he told Yahoo!, "(by) finding out what real families are supposed to be like."

Then Hugh Freeze was hired by Ole Miss, a few miles up the road. Werner had been an assistant along with Freeze under Ed Orgeron. Freeze offered Werner the co-offensive coordinator's position with a modified job description: Reduced travel, less time in the office, kids allowed at all times. Werner consulted with Maya, 13, and Ian, 7, and then accepted the job with family restrictions.

"It's a great testimony to what kind of man he is," Ole Miss receivers coach Grant Heard said. "He knows what he has to get done at work, and he knows he has to get home to love his kids.".

Sure one instance doesn't make him a saint; no more than one less doesn't. Which is exactly what you were attempting, when painting him as another N.Saban clone, for simply speaking the truth when he diplomatically stated (link):

"Well, I didn't let him go," Freeze said at the Regions Tradition Pro-Am at Shoal Creek. "When a kid satisfies his national letter of intent, which is two full-time semesters, he can go walk on anywhere he wants to, so a lot of people don't know that."

But... please explain again... how his reply such be take as a derogatory statement or indicates some character flaw?

Whether freeze is a nice guy or not, he recruits well bc he sells himself as a trustworthy guy to recruits parents . It's been working so far. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/28/sports/ncaafootball/coach-from-blind-side-thrives-in-college-game.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Quote"

let me (try to) FTFY

Oh, don't get me wrong...

... there's nothing wrong with your writing or spelling for that matter. The fix was made to something else.

As for your request: You might try this link to see why some might/could consider Hugh Freeze to be a nice guy,

Werner spent the next three years there. North Delta went 27-7 and won two district championships. Werner turned away interest from college coaches who needed assistants, telling them he couldn't afford to spend the time required on the road recruiting and in the office – away from his children. Instead, he settled into life as a single father and high school coach.

"I became a much better parent," he told Yahoo!, "(by) finding out what real families are supposed to be like."

Then Hugh Freeze was hired by Ole Miss, a few miles up the road. Werner had been an assistant along with Freeze under Ed Orgeron. Freeze offered Werner the co-offensive coordinator's position with a modified job description: Reduced travel, less time in the office, kids allowed at all times. Werner consulted with Maya, 13, and Ian, 7, and then accepted the job with family restrictions.

"It's a great testimony to what kind of man he is," Ole Miss receivers coach Grant Heard said. "He knows what he has to get done at work, and he knows he has to get home to love his kids.".

Sure one instance doesn't make him a saint; no more than one less doesn't. Which is exactly what you were attempting, when painting him as another N.Saban clone, for simply speaking the truth when he diplomatically stated (link):

But... please explain again... how his reply such be take as a derogatory statement or indicates some character flaw?

It doesn't. However, the sugary "Oh what a sweet boy" comments earlier in this thread are clearly not warranted either, which was my point.

Sucks for Golson, but if you are the head coach of a rival school who is now EXTREMELY thin on the O-line with no real replacement - what would you expect?. His first obligation is to Ole Miss. And the fans are not happy he is heading to AU. He almost has to set an example with a guy who was there one year and decides to leave. Not that I am intimate with AG's situation, but Ill bet a beer his is different from Proche's. I don't think any differently of Freeze. They have lost Barber, Daniels, and now Golson to us. Not exactly 3 chumps.

Well it's all water under the bridge at this point. The main thing is we are getting another quality lineman period. Here's to hoping it works out for both Austin and AU!

Archived