2013 4* OL Austin Golson (Ole Miss signee & transferred to AU)

TigerProwl24

Not so sure he will be an automatic started; @ OT Coleman and Young will be Jr's & Miller Sr,, while at OG Kozan and Diamond will be Jr.'s. Plus Smith will be in his second year and Kim his first.

What this means is Coach Grimes is laying the foundation for a dominate OL not only last year, this year, but for years to come!

War Eagle

You're assuming all of Kozan, P-Mill, and AY come back next year. 1 or 2 of them could easily declare for next year's draft. Specifically Kozan if he replicates the great season he had last year.

Very unlikely an interior OL goes that early. Its possible but of all the guys you mention I would say Kozan is the least likely to go after next season just because of the position he plays.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Add another 4* to the line...he was expected to start this year for OM so we surely picked up a good one. I understand we have a hardship request to get thru before he can play but adding this guy just provides us with more strength and security. Welcome Golson!

Add another 4* to the line...he was expected to start this year for OM so we surely picked up a good one. I understand we have a hardship request to get thru before he can play but adding this guy just provides us with more strength and security. Welcome Golson!

If I'm interpreting the facts about his situation correctly, he will have to sit out the 2014 season and then have 3 years remaining.

A great pickup no doubt. I imagine he will have a scholarship in the not too distant future. I do think that Coleman will be here for all of his eligibility. I do think he will do much better in the NFL draft with playing through his senior year. I think if the NFL sees him stay healthy and develop into a super lineman, his chances of getting drafted in rounds 1-3 will be greatly improved. If does blow it off of the charts in 2014, then he should go early. I just think he needs that extra year of experience to improve his stock for the NFL.

Anybody have an idea why he is walking on as opposed to being rewarded a scholly? Seems a guy of his caliber could get a scholarship

Anybody have an idea why he is walking on as opposed to being rewarded a scholly? Seems a guy of his caliber could get a scholarship

Same reason Corey Grant had to walk on and had to earn it. Just from what I've read.

Glad to have him aboard. As a multitude of people said, it didn't matter whether he got a waiver or not, he was always going to redshirt this year. I suppose he decided to go the Grant route to ease the process along as quickly as possible. Regardless, very glad to have another very talented offensive lineman that can play inside and outside.

I'll be shocked if Kozan even considers going pro. OGs without Center experience are not great candidates for early entry, especially with two years remaining. He'll be back. If I'm projecting any early entrant this year, I'd say Young and Coleman are the biggest risks. Unless he does it this year, Young isn't flipping to LT so there's not a lot left that he can do. I don't expect him to go pro though. If he wins the job, Coleman is the most likely guy to leave. He's old for the draft already. Age matters. If he can play LT and look good, there's a chance he leaves. That would leave 3 starting spots open. Golson can compete for two of the three.

Golson will redshirt in 2014, and will be available as a RS sophomore for Auburn in 2015. He appeared in 12 games during his freshman year

@Allie_Davison

Kind of funny, if you read this entire thread, this is basically what Mikey and others were saying should happen with this kid all along (walk-on, red-shirt, earn the scholarship) and they took a but load of crap for saying it.

Question for those more well versed in the nuances of recruiting: Do RB recruits follow OL recruiting very closely? As in, do they look at a program like Auburn who will soon average 4*s or better on the 2-deep and think, "Hmm, maybe I should give them a closer look"?

I'm sure this discussion has been held elsewhere. I couldn't find it, so feel free to redirect me if applicable. I don't want to jack Mr. Golson's thread.

I do not consider myself well versed but no doubt the coaching staff would point out the obvious advantages of having an excellent OL in front of any RB or QB.

Same reason Corey Grant had to walk on and had to earn it. Just from what I've read.

AFAIK, the only reason he would have to walk on is if Freeze and UM refused to release him from his scholarship (see Corey Grant). I haven't read anything that indicates that is the case with Golson. So is this a decision by the coaches? I can't imagine they offered him a scholly out of high school and wouldn't still be willing to give him one now. Perhaps he volunteered to pay his own way so someone else could take the scholarship? Or do I not understand the transfer rules?

Yes, yes and yes. He was allowed to speak with AU and FSU by Freeze due to his grandfathers both being ill. He chose AU (of course, I mean, Duh!) and was released otherwise he would have to sit/walk-on for two years. He can apply for a waiver from the NCAA like Prosch, but it appears since he likely doesn't start this year, he takes a RS and plays in 2015.

Initially thought to be likely to receive a full release from his scholarship, Freeze indicated Golson will instead follow "normal transfer rules" and "walk-on" with the Tigers.

http://www.montgomer...auburn/8995037/

Sounds like this isn't a case of our coaches "making him earn it". As for the redshirt, I'm pretty sure that anybody who put serious thought into this deal assumed that would be the case regardless of his eligibility in 2014.

Not so sure he will be an automatic started; @ OT Coleman and Young will be Jr's & Miller Sr,, while at OG Kozan and Diamond will be Jr.'s. Plus Smith will be in his second year and Kim his first.

What this means is Coach Grimes is laying the foundation for a dominate OL not only last year, this year, but for years to come!

War Eagle

You're assuming all of Kozan, P-Mill, and AY come back next year. 1 or 2 of them could easily declare for next year's draft. Specifically Kozan if he replicates the great season he had last year.

Very unlikely an interior OL goes that early. Its possible but of all the guys you mention I would say Kozan is the least likely to go after next season just because of the position he plays.

He's also considered one of the top 2 or OGs in college football by NFL scouts. If he projects in 1 of the first 3 rounds then he could go.

Very unlikely he requests a hardship.

Either 1 of 3 things.

1. We are up against the 85 limit when the C/O 2014 enrolls

2. It's may be Gus's policy that D1 transfers pay their own way for a while. Chase Robison, the DE transfer from Texas Tech is a walk on to this point as an example.

or

3. Doing as a favor to his very good friend Hugh Freeze.

Question for those more well versed in the nuances of recruiting: Do RB recruits follow OL recruiting very closely? As in, do they look at a program like Auburn who will soon average 4*s or better on the 2-deep and think, "Hmm, maybe I should give them a closer look"?

Great ?s but honestly I don't know. I've never seen it discussed.

JP didn't have to earn his immediate scholarship. Of course he was an All-American at Illinois so maybe Jay had already earned it. And it was CGC's decision anyway. Policies may be a little different now. A year of walk-on scout team work this fall and I think AG earns his schollie for 2015 even if it counts against the 25+ for 2015. I understand that Robison is not on schollie yet but his case was not hardship either. Each situation is a little different but I agree that Golson/AU probably should not file hardship. I don't see going thru that process to play a few snaps of mop-up duty. 2015 is when we need Golson especially if 2014 season goes like most of us think it will. He'ii be ready with a fall and spring under his belt.

Either 1 of 3 things.

2. It's may be Gus's policy that D1 transfers pay their own way for a while. Chase Robison, the DE transfer from Texas Tech is a walk on to this point as an example.

or

Now you've got my curiosity up: How would AU withholding Golson's scholarship for a year be a favor to Freeze? Freeze has already said he'll give Golson his release. I can see how your other two points could be correct but this one is baffling.

Either 1 of 3 things.

or

Now you've got my curiosity up: How would AU withholding Golson's scholarship for a year be a favor to Freeze? Freeze has already said he'll give Golson his release. I can see how your other two points could be correct but this one is baffling.

Just a possible class move from one close friend to another who just lost his starting RT for the 2014 season to his close friend's school. Ole Miss virtually has nobody for RT behind AG for the 2014 season.

I never really cared much one way or the other for OM, but if Hugh is as good a guy as he is talked about on here and given the fact he didn't try to block a transfer to a team he has to play each season - I have to say I may be developing a soft spot for them. Given the state of their program and trying to rise up and compete with AU, LSU, uat this has to hurt for them. I hope they find a good talent to replace him. Still don't want them to beat us, but I just may start pulling for them on the other weekends.

I have to say I don't care for Ole Miss what so ever but Hugh Freeze showed some class with this move. You don't find many college coaches that will let players transfer in their own league especially to a division rival. Glad to see Golson found his home even though he had to make a detour to Oxford to do so.

Considering the reason why Golson wants to transfer, wouldn't it make since to let him have that as his main focus, and with that be on the team, develop and get ready for a year later?

this was in an al.com article today

"Turns out Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze didn't have much say when Ole Miss offensive tackle Austin Golson asked if he could leave for Auburn.

The Prattville native was not necessarily released from his national letter of intent as much as he was allowed to transfer under NCAA rules, Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze told AL.com Tuesday.

"Well, I didn't let him go," Freeze said at the Regions Tradition Pro-Am at Shoal Creek. "When a kid satisfies his national letter of intent, which is two full-time semesters, he can go walk on anywhere he wants to, so a lot of people don't know that."

Never thought of that, but I guess it makes sense if the scholarships are a one year renewal deal. Maybe the difference between this and Corey Grant's situation is that Grant signed on for the next year before deciding to transfer?

Archived