Former AU RB Mike Blakely

CameronCrazy

“@JHokanson: Told that former #Auburn/#UF RB Mike Blakely, transferred to Hutchinson CC last fall, didn’t return to practice this spring. Geez.”

Serious waste of talent

"@JHokanson: Told that former #Auburn/#UF RB Mike Blakely, transferred to Hutchinson CC last fall, didn't return to practice this spring. Geez."

Serious waste of talent

I would like to know what happened to Blakely. So many of us were soo excited when he transfered from UF to AU. We thought he was better than Tre. Tre turned out to be the real deal. Blakely still looked like he could produce but he seemed to fumble more than we wanted. To bad fro him. I wish him well.

"@JHokanson: Told that former #Auburn/#UF RB Mike Blakely, transferred to Hutchinson CC last fall, didn't return to practice this spring. Geez."

Serious waste of talent

We thought he was better than Tre.

Including Scott Loeffler...

I believe the whole recruitment/commitment to UF ordeal had more of an impact on Blakely than anyone really knew. He was basically forced by family to sign with Florida when what he really wanted was to be at Auburn. It is clear now that his heart was never in Gainesville, and his play and development suffered from it. Who knows what could have been had he been allowed to make his own decision. Fumbling issues aside, he had all of the talent to be a dynamic player in our offense.

That is still not an excuse for his falling so far away from football. Whatever his reasoning for making this decision, it is surely a blown opportunity for the young man.

He was only at Florida for a couple of months so I doubt his brief stay there hurt him that much. I think he left AU after Gus was hired so not sure if it was a discipline, grade, or i'm mad the coaches got fired kind of thing. But i was surprised because I thought his running style would fit our offense well (smaller shifty back). I think he even made it throught the spring with Gus as coach. Hard to imagine why a Off player would leave when an Off coach just got hired :dunno:

He just didn't have the want to succeed. He was a star in practice when he was here, but he wasn't a hard worker and he unfortunately was a quitter (see: UF, Auburn, and now JUCO). Natural talent was never an issue.

He may have been the most "complete" back during his time on campus, but between his child, his weed, and his twitter... He couldn't keep it together well enough to let his talent drive his potential career.

He has a child now as well. That could potentially be a reason for his lack of motivation.

Having a child normally increases one's motivation to put away trivial things and concentrate on what's important. I'd think the child should have helped him become a better player, not a slacker.

He has a child now as well. That could potentially be a reason for his lack of motivation.

Having a child normally increases one's motivation to put away trivial things and concentrate on what's important. I'd think the child should have helped him become a better player, not a slacker.

The thing is, none of us know is "what's important" in his life right now...and in fact, football might have been one of those "trivial" things that he sacrificed because it kept him away from his child at a point when he was needed. Also, we also don't know how any particular person is able to handle being pulled in incompatible directions with his life.

It's pretty clear to me that going to school, playing football and having responsibility for a young child is a huge burden and most people need lots of family help to do those things....and still, something usually suffers....generally what is considered least important I guess.

I'm sorry his football career did not work out at UF and AU.....but that would pretty much be done about now anyway. It is possible he is doing the right thing.....who knows at this point? I just hope he is doing OK and the baby is getting the care and attention it needs.

Based on his past, and considering he couldn't even stay out of the doghouse with Chizik (!!!!) in charge, it is probably unlikely he would've been able to cut it under Malzahn.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've heard from the guys on the ground is that he failed all his tests-- and I'm not just talking in school.

Archived