2016 3* DE David Marshall (UGA flip 2/3/16)

Auburn4Winners

In 6 days he will sign with us or with somebody else. Then all the drama will be over. We will gladly welcome him to the family if he signs with us. If he signs with somebody else then there will be various reactions. Some won't care much one way or the other, some will be glad that we didn't get a kid who wanted so much attention and some will be bitter over all his grandstanding. Then since spring ball hasn't started somebody will start worrying about some 2017 recruit.

Add "what they perceive as" in there a couple times and you're totally right.

Hope he comes. Won't cry if he doesn't. Will make a judgment about what kind of person he is if I ever meet him.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think all kids should have a "signing ceremony". Our local kids do it every year in a plethora of sports. It is a proud moment for the kids, parents and school (and sometimes their coaches). All should be applauded for helping the young person succeed. Heck, pending the sport ... you might have their club coach there as well.

I know TV probably is leading the charge on the timing of ceremonies for some kids. Some may work around their school schedule ... ie at the end of the day, lunch, school assembly etc...

Loof, as to your concerns ... If I had a preference for how a kid should handle the decommit process, it would be how NCM has handled his this year. If my kid commits to a school, then finds out that was not the right choice for them, then I would want them to hold off. Now I readily admit, based on rankings alone, NCM may have had the luxury of having his preferred schools "hold" a spot for him and some may not value Marshall at the same level ... hence the possible strategy behind his recommitment to Auburn (even if he did it to "hold" a spot for himself).

It appears that Garner must think highly of the kid. It also appears that we may very well have an extra spot or 2 at the end of signing day. If he signs with Auburn, then we will get to see how good he becomes in a couple of years. If he doesn't sign with Auburn, then we will get to see how good he is in a couple of years. Kind of like the DL kid that ended up in Arky a few years ago that was very good. If I recall, he "played" auburn a little so we told him to take a hike and fans said good riddance. He got shunned by alabama and ended at Arky. Arky was thrilled at how he turned out and we could have used him.

What I don't understand is why the world would show up to witness the ceremony for a 3* player who has allegedly already committed to a school ?

I guess because David Marshall made them. Because the only reason it's happening is that he loves attention.

I think I will stay home....let me know what happens..... :)

Well, if this kid does crave attention-as some suggest- then mission accomplished. He's gotten a bunch of (usually) rational grown men analyzing and dissecting every statement and action he makes, then arguing with each other over what it supposedly means. Well done.

Well, if this kid does crave attention-as some suggest- then mission accomplished. He's gotten a bunch of (usually) rational grown men analyzing and dissecting every statement and action he makes, then arguing with each other over what it supposedly means. Well done.

I'm definitely implicated here- and deservedly so- but I applaud the hell out of this post nonetheless.

I'm definitely implicated here- and deservedly so- but I applaud the hell out of this post nonetheless.

Shoo0t if grown men (and women) did not argue back and forth about a bunch of teenagers this site would dry up.....

Shoo0t if grown men (and women) did not argue back and forth about a bunch of teenagers this site would dry up.....

Ain't that the truth (and it is true of any team message board). Also, if rumors truly were not allowed or discussed (never mind the protestations of certain folks on this site), then this site would dry up too.

wde

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1634344-one-more-visit-for-david-marshall?s=6

This is the reason I don't care where he decides to play. I won't elaborate any further.

let's face it. the real reason so many are getting upset is because the school to the west has done something with a recruit flipping for the past several years. now we have a head coach at uga that played a part in those coupes, and could very well try to pull some similar $#1t there. the embarrassment is too much for some au fans to handle. whatever. if the kid wants to play here he will, if not, he won't. life will carry on for both parties. let's just try not to be updykes about it.

let's face it. the real reason so many are getting upset is because the school to the west has done something with a recruit flipping for the past several years. now we have a head coach at uga that played a part in those coupes, and could very well try to pull some similar $#1t there. the embarrassment is too much for some au fans to handle. whatever. if the kid wants to play here he will, if not, he won't. life will carry on for both parties. let's just try not to be updykes about it.

You couldn't be any more wrong. This has nothing to do with UAT or Smart. Marshall as his own entity has been playing games with Auburn ever since the first day after big cat weekend when he abruptly decommitted from Auburn just because Saban sweet talked him. I'm over Marshall so why would I act like an Updyke? As a matter of fact, I wish he would decommit before he takes a visit to Georgia for the second straight weekend this weekend. No hard feelings from me, Just go on

What do ya know. The coaches heard about all the hand wringing on AUF, got the message and acted on it. Good job, gang!

We ran it up the flag pole and they saluted! What is the next task on our agenda? :)

we (fans and ESPN) created this whole circus. There is absolutely no reason for ANY player to make a public commitment before NSD. Just make it private to the coaches and they can flip if they want and nobody ever knows and they never get beaten up for it. Player gets NO benefit from the public commitment, ESPN, paid sites, and information starved fan bases get all the benefit, player just gets beaten up when he doesn't handle his life choice the way some fan thinks he should.

Keep the commitments private and let the fans twiddle their thumbs, that solves the problem.

If the coaches don't get they players to do that, then the NCAA needs to do one of two things:

1. Schools should not be allowed to make commit-able offers to players before Jan. 15th, at which time the offers will be listed on the NCAA website and players can commit then

or

2. Players should be able to sign the day they commit.

Problem solved

Just my 2 cents but ESPN my be another reason for this. He is rated 259 on there top 300 and I can see them wanting to have as many of those top 300 announce on TV as they can.

Just my 2 cents but ESPN my be another reason for this. He is rated 259 on there top 300 and I can see them wanting to have as many of those top 300 announce on TV as they can.

I don't blame ESPN for this. They are going to try to get as many top 300 guys to commit on tv as you said. However they are not pushing this. David has created his own situation. Since he is going to commit somewhere AGAIN ESPN just lets him use them as a medium.

I think all kids should have a "signing ceremony". Our local kids do it every year in a plethora of sports. It is a proud moment for the kids, parents and school (and sometimes their coaches). All should be applauded for helping the young person succeed. Heck, pending the sport ... you might have their club coach there as well.

I know TV probably is leading the charge on the timing of ceremonies for some kids. Some may work around their school schedule ... ie at the end of the day, lunch, school assembly etc...

Loof, as to your concerns ... If I had a preference for how a kid should handle the decommit process, it would be how NCM has handled his this year. If my kid commits to a school, then finds out that was not the right choice for them, then I would want them to hold off. Now I readily admit, based on rankings alone, NCM may have had the luxury of having his preferred schools "hold" a spot for him and some may not value Marshall at the same level ... hence the possible strategy behind his recommitment to Auburn (even if he did it to "hold" a spot for himself).

It appears that Garner must think highly of the kid. It also appears that we may very well have an extra spot or 2 at the end of signing day. If he signs with Auburn, then we will get to see how good he becomes in a couple of years. If he doesn't sign with Auburn, then we will get to see how good he is in a couple of years. Kind of like the DL kid that ended up in Arky a few years ago that was very good. If I recall, he "played" auburn a little so we told him to take a hike and fans said good riddance. He got shunned by alabama and ended at Arky. Arky was thrilled at how he turned out and we could have used him.

That kid was Darius Philon. A little poetic justice as Bammer left him high and dry on signing day.

That kid was Darius Philon. A little poetic justice as Bammer left him high and dry on signing day.

That was downright nasty....and as we've seen, the kid made bama pay too....turned out to be better than many of the kids bama took instead of him and had a good career at Arky.

I'm happy to see the schools holding signing ceremonies......our local HS has an "event" where the kids sign their papers and are recognized for their accomplishment....it's basically local .......though I guess if we ever had a real serious Div I prospect they would make more of it. It's the hats all lined up and sleight of hand actions when the decision is announced that seems unnecessary....but they are mostly 18 year old and this is their day in the sun.

You also have to admit, if Marshall is going to flip to Georgia, Smart wants it to be on the biggest stage possible and give the media every reason to play it up as a major deal.

I'm not a fan of the way Marshall has handled his recruitment, by any means.

But I'm also not a fan of the way some Auburn fans have engaged Marshall on social media. I do think there's a difference between being critical (as I think I am) of his behavior, trashing him on a message board, and tweeting abusive messages to him directly. It's a continuum, with McLoofus on one end and the folks tweeting Marshall directly on the other.

In any case, this will all be over soon. I think it's safe to say that Marshall has not endeared himself to the majority of Auburn supporters with the way he's handled everything. If he does end up committing to Auburn, I think he's going to have a little work to do to get back into favor with the fans. If he does commit to UGA, I think most Auburn fans will not be too upset about it.

We'll find out soon enough.

You also have to admit, if Marshall is going to flip to Georgia, Smart wants it to be on the biggest stage possible and give the media every reason to play it up as a major deal.

It seems a big reach to me to think that the kid orchestrated the whole thing himself, but that's the prevailing sentiment around here.

Of course, it doesn't bother me in the least that there's a ceremony, regardless of who put it together.

I don't have a huge problem with what Marshall is doing. He's a child, that comes through in his indecisiveness and his tone-deafness, but it's not really a character flaw. He just needs to grow up.

Still, if he KNOWS he's going to sign with UGA, I change my tone. That's the Reuben Foster move. That move really is a character flaw. That's not being childish; that's being selfish and hurtful. If he already knows, he should communicate that with the staff and the public. It's not like he's been shy about talking to the public up to this point. There's no reason he should intentionally do something to hurt Auburn.

If he's really still weighing his options, give him time. He might grow up to regret all this non-sense and become a really great young man.

It seems a big reach to me to think that the kid orchestrated the whole thing himself, but that's the prevailing sentiment around here.

Of course, it doesn't bother me in the least that there's a ceremony, regardless of who put it together.

Guess well find out how fall Smart fell from the Saban tree if Marshall does flip.

Yeah. I'm not buying it either. I think he wanted to play for Kirby all along but that was not an option @ Bama b/c he was not a take for Saban. When Kirby went to UGA it opened the door for Marshall to follow. I just wish Marshall handled it better & flipped the moment he got a commitable offer from Kirby.

Guess well find out how fall Smart fell from the Saban tree if Marshall does flip.

How will Marshall flipping having any bearing on how far CKS fell from Saban?

Archived