2016 3* DE David Marshall (UGA flip 2/3/16)

Auburn4Winners

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy to read the last string of posts since that means after we have our class signed, nobody will be bragging about it being a top 10 class...nor will anyone be explaining why not being a top 10 class is immaterial if the coaches get who they want. So, we should just accept the guys the coaches wanted to sign ....and watch to see how many are here in two years and whether the coaches can "coach em up".

I'm fine with that view......as long as anyone who makes some comment about our recruiting class rankings in the future should be reminded that the * ratings and rankings are not really important. I was thinking to give that famous....".xxxxxx says hello" using the name of one of our 5* recruits who did not pan out.....just to be a smart*** but decided not to do so.

Meanwhile, I think I will take another look at our Class of 2014 and see if that tells me anything.

I don't follow.

It's probably going to be a top 10 class. That is important. Not sure what that has to do with Marshall?

If you got "recruiting rankings don't matter at all" from "when coaches disagree with recruiting services, believe the coaches", then you misunderstood.

Also, I'm not sure why people keep calling Marshall a 3* as though that's an insult. I guess that's the same line of thinking that leads to clown crap like whoever said we should tell Marquis McClain to hit the road because we have more highly rated WRs on our board.

Recruiting rankings matter but they're not gospel.

I always look at a players offer list. For me, the true measure is how many and WHICH D1 schools offer a player. DM maybe 3*, but UGA, UAT, AU, UT, UCLA, Clemson, and Miami (and others) coaches all, based on their knowledge and experience, took a risk and offered him one of their 25 precious scholarships. For me, that trumps the 3* rating.

I only get worried when we recruit a 3 star player and his offer list includes AU, East Carolina, New Mexico, Southern Miss, Tulane, and Memphis state.

I am sure that the recruiting sites out guess the coaches once in a while, but when the star ratings go against the opinion of top tier the coaches, I will go with the guys who have the experience and also something to lose other than their reputation when they decide to offer a player.

Exactly. Well said.

I'm happy to read the last string of posts since that means after we have our class signed, nobody will be bragging about it being a top 10 class...nor will anyone be explaining why not being a top 10 class is immaterial if the coaches get who they want. So, we should just accept the guys the coaches wanted to sign ....and watch to see how many are here in two years and whether the coaches can "coach em up".

I'm fine with that view......as long as anyone who makes some comment about our recruiting class rankings in the future should be reminded that the * ratings and rankings are not really important. I was thinking to give that famous....".xxxxxx says hello" using the name of one of our 5* recruits who did not pan out.....just to be a smart*** but decided not to do so.

Meanwhile, I think I will take another look at our Class of 2014 and see if that tells me anything.

I don't follow.

It's probably going to be a top 10 class. That is important. Not sure what that has to do with Marshall?

If you got "recruiting rankings don't matter at all" from "when coaches disagree with recruiting services, believe the coaches", then you misunderstood.

Also, I'm not sure why people keep calling Marshall a 3* as though that's an insult. I guess that's the same line of thinking that leads to clown crap like whoever said we should tell Marquis McClain to hit the road because we have more highly rated WRs on our board.

I always look at a players offer list. For me, the true measure is how many and WHICH D1 schools offer a player. DM maybe 3*, but UGA, UAT, AU, UT, UCLA, Clemson, and Miami (and others) coaches all, based on their knowledge and experience, took a risk and offered him one of their 25 precious scholarships. For me, that is the most valuable rating.

I only get worried when we recruit a 3 star player and his offer list includes AU, East Carolina, New Mexico, Southern Miss, Tulane, and Memphis state.

He doesn't have an offer from UAT.

Any definitive word on whether Marshall visited Athens?

I'm not seeing any Twitter activity yet.

I just went and looked at his Twitter and actually got mad because of how stupid some Auburn fans look tweeting him. Tweeting recruits should be left to UGA/UT/UF fans.

I just went and looked at his Twitter and actually got mad because of how stupid some Auburn fans look tweeting him. Tweeting recruits should be left to UGA/UT/UF fans.

Yeah I know. Georgia and Temnesee fans are really bad about that.

Yeah I know. Georgia and Temnesee fans are really bad about that.

I wish we'd never do it.

I just went and looked at his Twitter and actually got mad because of how stupid some Auburn fans look tweeting him. Tweeting recruits should be left to UGA/UT/UF fans. staff & coaches. Fans tweeting recruits is creepy as hell & not cool.

FIFY

Agree....since the odds are about 50:50 that a tweet will offend the guy in some way...so just leave the recruiting to the coaches. And of course as for stat ratings, the kid from ND State who looks like a first round draft pick was pretty much unknown until a year ago....it's fun to see a guy like him emerge from nowhere and that the experts totally missed on him.

I have yet to see evidence since 2009-2010 that we have a DL coach that can coach a player up.

Davaroe Lawrence the last 4 games of last year & Dee Ford from his senior year both say hi.

mmk. Dee Ford had a great last season after being injured and Lawrence was OK. That is two in 5 seasons. So yes, Pelton and Garner are stellar DL coaches. :-\/>

Lawrence was more than ok the last 4 games. He was damn good.

I never said nor implied they were stellar or even good on game day. Just pointing out that your OP the way you worded it was incorrect. If you had said there is not much evidence that we can coach a player up instead of no evidence then you would have been correct

LOL, there is not much evidence we have had even average DL coaching since 2010.

wde

Here we go with this again...

I have yet to see evidence since 2009-2010 that we have a DL coach that can coach a player up.

Davaroe Lawrence the last 4 games of last year & Dee Ford from his senior year both say hi.

mmk. Dee Ford had a great last season after being injured and Lawrence was OK. That is two in 5 seasons. So yes, Pelton and Garner are stellar DL coaches. :-\/>

Lawrence was more than ok the last 4 games. He was damn good.

I never said nor implied they were stellar or even good on game day. Just pointing out that your OP the way you worded it was incorrect. If you had said there is not much evidence that we can coach a player up instead of no evidence then you would have been correct

LOL, there is not much evidence we have had even average DL coaching since 2010.

wde

Here we go with this again...

giphy.gif

I'd definitely say Gabe Wright and Angelo Blackson improved under Garner...

Nobody would've expected them to be draft picks, after their first two seasons...

I don't follow.

Hey Mac! Recruiting is a science; albeit a crazy one indeed. In order for one to be sane, he must first be insane without losing his mind. My old pappy once said, "never leave a half eaten pack of pop tarts on the table where the dog can get to it." That happened about a month ago when Lady Annabelle snatched it while I was outside chopping wood. Not only were crumbs everywhere, but with her delicate tummy, a huge mess had to be cleaned up before my wife made it home from Walmart. I know this does not have too much to do with recruiting, but if you can look beyond all of the crumbs and poop, you can see why.

OK, let's get back to recruiting. We all get a bit testy it seems about a few days from NSD. I wish we could do away with house visits to recruits home and do it all virtual. This way, a lot of the nastiness can be nipped in the bud. As one of the greatest all time philosophers, Barney Fife used to say; "nip it, nip it in the bud." That show has to be my all time favorite show. I have every episode in DVD and watch them every so often.

I have said this for several years, that if we can have a top 12 class year in and out, we actually will be fine. Tommy Tuberville was the best I have ever seen in all of football with his rare gift of "coaching the up." His last season was rough, but he left Coach Chizik with some good talent that had already be coached up.

I am not sure yet as to how good Gus is with coaching them up, but in fairness to him, we need to be patient. I have a sneaking suspicion that now that coach Hand is at hand, our offense will soon be lethal of which makes me excited with the direction that our program is heading.

I think we have a coaching staff on hand that is going to be very good on and off of the field. If we wind up in 12th place, lets take a deep breath and welcome the 2016 class as the newest addition of Auburn Tigers. However, if we finish the way that I am confident in, we will have a top 10 class and maybe a top 5 if some of the pieces of the puzzle come together that I think is a real chance.

I'd definitely say Gabe Wright and Angelo Blackson improved under Garner...

Nobody would've expected them to be draft picks, after their first two seasons...

Solid point.

I don't follow.

I always look at a players offer list. For me, the true measure is how many and WHICH D1 schools offer a player. DM maybe 3*, but UGA, UAT, AU, UT, UCLA, Clemson, and Miami (and others) coaches all, based on their knowledge and experience, took a risk and offered him one of their 25 precious scholarships. For me, that is the most valuable rating.

Don't pay attention to the offer list that is publshed. Some kids, if they receive a letter from a school, announce they have an offer from that school, when actually the school has little interest. Schools send thousands of letters to kids each year, but only a slight % get actual offers.

I don't follow.

I always look at a players offer list. For me, the true measure is how many and WHICH D1 schools offer a player. DM maybe 3*, but UGA, UAT, AU, UT, UCLA, Clemson, and Miami (and others) coaches all, based on their knowledge and experience, took a risk and offered him one of their 25 precious scholarships. For me, that trumps the 3* rating.

I am sure that the recruiting sites out guess the coaches once in a while, but when the star ratings go against the opinion of top tier the coaches, I will go with the guys who have the experience and also something to lose other than their reputation when they decide to offer a player.

Exactly. Well said.

Agree. Well said. and totally logical post by rockfordpi. Not all 3 star players are the same.

wde

I'm not that big on the * system or team rankings....pretty skeptical about what it portends for the future....sure the top teams usually have good team rankings but some other teams who over the year can match those rankings have a rather dismal on-the-field performance record.

So whether we end up 10th or 15th or whatever, seems the only thing that might really make a difference is that 5 other SEC teams appear to be ranked higher and 4 of them are in the SEC West.. That would seem to indicate that our climb out of the SEC-West basement is not going to be easy.

Not sure why I sat here and read all these posts other than I am as insane about this as the rest of ya`ll. All I am going to contribute to this conversation is a comment about who is or isn`t a good evaluator of talent or not. Neither coaches nor website gurus nor any of us are perfect. One of best example I can think of is Dontarrius Thomas. Only other offer he had besides AU was a D2 offer to play basketball. That turned out pretty well for AU ad a couple of NFL teams as well as DT. WDE guys

I'm the first to admit that I am always biased to players from GA, especially DL, but David Marshall is not your average 3 star. He is very similar to OL commit Brodarious Hamm, both tore their ACL their sophomore year of HS. That's why they aren't rated higher, they didn't burst onto the scene until their junior year and at that point most elite prospects have been evaluated and ranked. I've watched both these guys in action and there's a reason we want them at AU.

just a quick point about DL play the past several years. IF we continue to go the route of physical practices, I believe you will see marked improvement across the board on our defense, but I believe the DL will benefit the MOST! there is far too much to gain from physical practices in the trenches, and non-physical classes will make them soft come gameday. Hopefully CKS will be allowed to keep the hardnosed practices going. I look forward to seeing the beneficial results on both sides of the ball. I believe you will also see fewer in game injuries as a result as well. JMO. WDE!

I don't follow.

All I can go by is what ESPN, RIVALS, and 247 says, but they all say he does FWIW...

I don't follow.

All I can go by is what ESPN, RIVALS, and 247 says, but they all say he does FWIW...

He doesn't. He called Bama his "dream school" while he was committed to Auburn the first time. Also, he decommitted from Auburn because Saban wanted him too but yet Saban still hasn't given him a committable offer.

Archived