2016 3* DE David Marshall (UGA flip 2/3/16)

Auburn4Winners

You also have to admit, if Marshall is going to flip to Georgia, Smart wants it to be on the biggest stage possible and give the media every reason to play it up as a major deal.

It seems a big reach to me to think that the kid orchestrated the whole thing himself, but that's the prevailing sentiment around here.

Of course, it doesn't bother me in the least that there's a ceremony, regardless of who put it together.

Guess well find out how fall Smart fell from the Saban tree if Marshall does flip.

How will Marshall flipping having any bearing on how far CKS fell from Saban?

The way it's being handled... big production on signing day while he's still committed to Auburn. That screams bama all the way. If Smart is going to be a classy coach, and he knows he's getting Marshall, he should tell him to decommit and do things the right way.

Smart wants to maximize the PR from a new commit. We do the same type of thing all the time, do we not?

No. To my knowledge, we've not had a signing day flip of a player who was committed to another school, certainly not since Gus was here. We've had flips where they decommitted and then committed to us prior to signing day, and we've had signing day wins, but the signing day, on TV flip is not something Gus would approve of.

That's all accurate I believe, but I was referring to the overall tactic of getting all the positive exposure you can when a recruit comitts to a particular program. It's like us asking a recruit to hold off his announcement til a given day because we're having a big recruiting weekend or something. Same idea, slightly different execution. I can see why it bothers people though

Yea the big difference is, while both shine a positive light on the school that lands the commitment, the signing-day flip does it at the expense of the school that loses the commit... and often costs them a key player because it's too late to fill that spot.

I see what you're getting at. Yeah it definitely sucks for someone. No two ways about it

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if WDE is to be believed, we won't have a signing day flip because DM no longer has an offer from us. We now have an additional slot open.

I have not seen it confirmed yet that he is there but I would be surprised if he isn't.

Well if WDE is to be believed, we won't have a signing day flip because DM no longer has an offer from us. We now have an additional slot open.

I have not seen it confirmed yet that he is there but I would be surprised if he isn't.

As much as we need defensive players it's hard to believe that we would "hold a slot" awaiting the decision of a 3* player at this point. I'm hoping we have some others as promising who are willing to board the Gus Bus now and remove the last minute drama.

As much as we need defensive players it's hard to believe that we would "hold a slot" awaiting the decision of a 3* player at this point. I'm hoping we have some others as promising who are willing to board the Gus Bus now and remove the last minute drama.

What if I told you that the coaches don't look at the rankings of high school recruits like we do? What if I told you... They do their own evaluations?

We're not holding a slot for him. That suggests that we would turn down a kid who is good enough to play at Auburn just in case Marshall sticks.

We are probably not going to fill out this class because there aren't enough quality kids we have a shot at. We're not going to give scholarships out to kids who aren't good enough just to stock the sideline with warm bodies.

The coaches think Marshall is good enough to play at Auburn, so they want his commitment. I'm a little surprised that so many people think his 3* status means he's not good enough to pursue.

If the Auburn coaches' opinions aren't valuable enough to Auburn fans... y'all know that Kirby Smart is working like hell to get Marshall, too, right? At what point do you start valuing highly experienced D1 football coaches' assessments over that of the recruiting services? It only takes me as long as it takes to read them.

What if I told you that the coaches don't look at the rankings of high school recruits like we do? What if I told you... They do their own evaluations?

Truth & Garner saes Marshall as a 4* DE FWIW.

If our coaches want him and have decided that a 3 star guy is worth the effort then they should go for it. Although, I have yet to see evidence since 2009-2010 that we have a DL coach that can coach a player up. The problem with Marshall, IMO, is HIS actions during the recruiting process. He has played our coaching staff from day one. I have no respect for that. Contrast him with Ben Davis, who is a sure fire spuat lock, but is showing our coaching staff respect and has throughout the recruiting process.

wde

the signing day, on TV flip is not something Gus would approve of.

Coughing...bull-oni. Every coach takes priority targets when they can get them, even a NSD TV flip, that includes Gus.

Also While NSD flips suck for the team getting flipped it does not mean a negative character flaw automatically for the recruit or coach that gets the W. I am baffled at this line of thinking & logic.

I do believe that Gus would try to talk a recruit out of flipping to us on signing day if he knew the recruit was going to flip to us. Would Gus stop him from doing it? Absolutely not!

Many recruits do want the most publicity they can get and a signing day flip gets the clicks and views. Coaches want positive publicity for their signing class. I do believe that some coaches will encourage a recruit he knows is signing with him to flip at the right time to get the most publicity. Some of those coaches will want that to be NSD because it cast a positive light on his class and a negative light on the flipped school's signing class. I also believe that li'l nicki encourages that and kirby may be the same.

Then I would tell you they need to stop. :bananadance:

I have yet to see evidence since 2009-2010 that we have a DL coach that can coach a player up.

Davaroe Lawrence the last 4 games of last year & Dee Ford from his senior year both say hi.

questioning the 3* rating, doesn't a lot of that have to do with how the kids do at camps and such? maybe marshall didn't participate in a lot of them? Just thinking of possible causes for the disparity in evaluations. I agree, though, if he is wanted by the coaches the he is welcomed by me.....

I have yet to see evidence since 2009-2010 that we have a DL coach that can coach a player up.

Dee Ford is the only example, being the only 1st Team All-SEC DL since 2010. The overall lack of DL improvement is extremely concerning. We've had WAY too many 4+ star DL in the last 5 seasons wasted.

questioning the 3* rating, doesn't a lot of that have to do with how the kids do at camps and such?

Depends on the site. Some sites put more stock on game film. Others put more stock in camps. 1 site also factos in how well a recruit fits a school's scheme they are committed to which is crap IMO.

Davaroe Lawrence the last 4 games of last year & Dee Ford from his senior year both say hi.

mmk. Dee Ford had a great last season after being injured and Lawrence was OK. That is two in 5 seasons. So yes, Pelton and Garner are stellar DL coaches. :-\

I'm happy to read the last string of posts since that means after we have our class signed, nobody will be bragging about it being a top 10 class...nor will anyone be explaining why not being a top 10 class is immaterial if the coaches get who they want. So, we should just accept the guys the coaches wanted to sign ....and watch to see how many are here in two years and whether the coaches can "coach em up".

I'm fine with that view......as long as anyone who makes some comment about our recruiting class rankings in the future should be reminded that the * ratings and rankings are not really important. I was thinking to give that famous....".xxxxxx says hello" using the name of one of our 5* recruits who did not pan out.....just to be a smart*** but decided not to do so.

Meanwhile, I think I will take another look at our Class of 2014 and see if that tells me anything.

I'm happy to read the last string of posts since that means after we have our class signed, nobody will be bragging about it being a top 10 class...nor will anyone be explaining why not being a top 10 class is immaterial if the coaches get who they want. So, we should just accept the guys the coaches wanted to sign ....and watch to see how many are here in two years and whether the coaches can "coach em up".

I'm fine with that view......as long as anyone who makes some comment about our recruiting class rankings in the future should be reminded that the * ratings and rankings are not really important. I was thinking to give that famous....".xxxxxx says hello" using the name of one of our 5* recruits who did not pan out.....just to be a smart*** but decided not to do so.

Meanwhile, I think I will take another look at our Class of 2014 and see if that tells me anything.

Nice counterpoint sir.

mmk. Dee Ford had a great last season after being injured and Lawrence was OK. That is two in 5 seasons. So yes, Pelton and Garner are stellar DL coaches. :-\

Lawrence was more than ok the last 4 games. He was damn good.

I never said nor implied they were stellar or even good on game day. Just pointing out that your OP the way you worded it was incorrect. If you had said there is not much evidence that we can coach a player up instead of no evidence then you would have been correct

I never said nor implied they were stellar or even good on game day. Just pointing out that your OP the way you worded it was incorrect. If you had said there is not much evidence that we can coach a player up instead of no evidence then you would have been correct

LOL, there is not much evidence we have had even average DL coaching since 2010.

wde

mmk. Dee Ford had a great last season after being injured and Lawrence was OK. That is two in 5 seasons. So yes, Pelton and Garner are stellar DL coaches. :-\/>

Your evidence doesn't fit the "I hate Garner/negative Auburn" crowd. We will have a clearer picture over the next couple of years as to where our DL development stands.

Interesting point seeing as I never said rankings don't matter... Just that the coaches don't look at the rankings the way we do. Nice reading comprehension pal.

I don't follow.

It's probably going to be a top 10 class. That is important. Not sure what that has to do with Marshall?

If you got "recruiting rankings don't matter at all" from "when coaches disagree with recruiting services, believe the coaches", then you misunderstood.

Also, I'm not sure why people keep calling Marshall a 3* as though that's an insult. I guess that's the same line of thinking that leads to clown crap like whoever said we should tell Marquis McClain to hit the road because we have more highly rated WRs on our board.

Recruiting rankings matter but they're not gospel.

I don't follow.

It's probably going to be a top 10 class. That is important. Not sure what that has to do with Marshall?

If you got "recruiting rankings don't matter at all" from "when coaches disagree with recruiting services, believe the coaches", then you misunderstood.

Also, I'm not sure why people keep calling Marshall a 3* as though that's an insult. I guess that's the same line of thinking that leads to clown crap like whoever said we should tell Marquis McClain to hit the road because we have more highly rated WRs on our board.

Recruiting rankings matter but they're not gospel.

I always look at a players offer list. For me, the true measure is how many and WHICH D1 schools offer a player. DM maybe 3*, but UGA, UAT, AU, UT, UCLA, Clemson, and Miami (and others) coaches all, based on their knowledge and experience, took a risk and offered him one of their 25 precious scholarships. For me, that is the most valuable rating.

I only get worried when we recruit a 3 star player and his offer list includes AU, East Carolina, New Mexico, Southern Miss, Tulane, and Memphis state.

Archived