2016 3* DE David Marshall (UGA flip 2/3/16)

Auburn4Winners

Not exactly the way I read it Mikey. I think it means that if he goes to UGA visit then we are no longer holding a spot for him. He will be welcome to sign with AU after the visit, but AU isn't going to wait on him. If Nigel Warrior (just an example) had a change of heart then Marshalls spot might be all his now

Here's the quote:"Marshall was told if he goes to uga he better be sure he has other options besides AU." If that doesn't mean "If you go to Athens this week we're done with you" I don't know what it does mean. I simply cannot read into that statement that AU would still sign him.

We'll have spots left over unless every single chip falls Auburn's way, so I don't think holding a spot figures into it.

That's statement is not as unambiguous as you seem to think.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

saw on AUC that Marshall has set an "announcement" time ... correct me if I'm wrong, but wont this be something like his 3rd "announcement" ...

This was discussed with Marlon, I think, but why would a kid "announce" if he is already committed? I get the whole "enjoying recruiting" thing and the "they are young" thing ... but in this case, I am officially flabbergasted ...

saw on AUC that Marshall has set an "announcement" time ... correct me if I'm wrong, but wont this be something like his 3rd "announcement" ...

why would a kid "announce" if he is already committed?

Can't tell you the why but kids do it all the time Sam Bruce had a ceromony Monday just to recommit to Miami.

This was discussed with Marlon, I think, but why would a kid "announce" if he is already committed? I get the whole "enjoying recruiting" thing and the "they are young" thing ... but in this case, I am officially flabbergasted ...

Think of it this way. After NSD, no one will care about him anymore. This is his last day to "shine." Once he goes to college, he likely won't be a star and will simply provide quality depth to a decent defense, might even have the chance to start in his fourth or fifth year as a senior. he probably won't get drafted in the NFL, so he will have to settle for being on a scout team. His is getting all he can get out of his 15 minutes of fame. Sadly, some kids know how to do it right (i.e. Ben Davis) and some kids don't.

Think of it this way. After NSD, no one will care about him anymore. This is his last day to "shine." Once he goes to college, he likely won't be a star and will simply provide quality depth to a decent defense, might even have the chance to start in his fourth or fifth year as a senior. he probably won't get drafted in the NFL, so he will have to settle for being on a scout team. His is getting all he can get out of his 15 minutes of fame. Sadly, some kids know how to do it right (i.e. Ben Davis) and some kids don't.

Once again we're putting everything on the kid. Think about the other people who benefit from these ceremonies, and think about who shows up for them. Dozens of journalists, coaches, teachers, other students, family, whoever show up for these announcements, which are held at the kids' schools. Lots of times less highly recruited teammates of theirs announce at the same time hoping to ride the coattails a little bit and to show the world that Recruit A isn't the only college player at XYZ High. The coaches stand behind them. The principals introduce them. The families sit next to them. The media live streams them and all of these folks like us who spend all day on these recruiting message boards begging for information and arguing the most miniscule and mundane details of these kids' recruitments- even going so far as to follow them on twitter and then obsess over the meaning of esoteric tweets that could mean anything- watch these live streams in the middle of a week day. This is all after coaches, reporters, classmates, extended family, random strangers at the grocery store and who knows who else have been asking them every day what they're going to do for a year or more. And then we blame it on 17 year olds for creating a circus or craving attention? Give me a break.

I'll say it as many times as I have to. They're only providing the product that we not only beg them for but give them multiple platforms and avenues to use for it.

Not putting all of this on you, thaitopher (which I still say in my head as "thigh"topher even though you very ably explained the proper pronunciation and story behind it).

^Oh, and in all that, I failed to say explicitly that I doubt it's even the kid's idea to do these announcements a lot of or even most of the time, but more likely it has something to do with the input from all of those adults who surround them.

^Oh, and in all that, I failed to say explicitly that I doubt it's even the kid's idea to do these announcements a lot of or even most of the time, but more likely it has something to do with the input from all of those adults who surround them.

Is that you, David Marshall?

Once again we're putting everything on the kid. Think about the other people who benefit from these ceremonies, and think about who shows up for them. Dozens of journalists, coaches, teachers, other students, family, whoever show up for these announcements, which are held at the kids' schools. Lots of times less highly recruited teammates of theirs announce at the same time hoping to ride the coattails a little bit and to show the world that Recruit A isn't the only college player at XYZ High. The coaches stand behind them. The principals introduce them. The families sit next to them. The media live streams them and all of these folks like us who spend all day on these recruiting message boards begging for information and arguing the most miniscule and mundane details of these kids' recruitments- even going so far as to follow them on twitter and then obsess over the meaning of esoteric tweets that could mean anything- watch these live streams in the middle of a week day. This is all after coaches, reporters, classmates, extended family, random strangers at the grocery store and who knows who else have been asking them every day what they're going to do for a year or more. And then we blame it on 17 year olds for creating a circus or craving attention? Give me a break.

I'll say it as many times as I have to. They're only providing the product that we not only beg them for but give them multiple platforms and avenues to use for it.

Not putting all of this on you, thaitopher (which I still say in my head as "thigh"topher even though you very ably explained the proper pronunciation and story behind it).

First, I applaud you for having the cajones to stand alone on this issue - your defense of Davis Marshall is admirable. I usually have a lot of grace for kids knowing that they are 17 or 18 year olds that face the media on a weekly basis, so the pressure must be high. That said, I don't have the same compassion for David Marshall given the way he has gone about this entire process. Yes, every year you find several recruits who hold a big ceremony even though they have already verbally committed to a school, but this isn't the norm. I have only been deeply following college recruiting for about 7 years, and from my experience it seems that 98% of the kids that have already verbally committed to a school, fax in their LOI early in the morning on NSD and don't hold a ceremony, so if these kids were able to do it year in and year out without all of the fanfare, then there is nothing stopping David Marshall from doing the same. Given the actions David Marshall has already taken, he, of all people, should be the one to show the most restraint on NSD.

I have only been deeply following college recruiting for about 7 years, and from my experience it seems that 98% of the kids that have already verbally committed to a school, fax in their LOI early in the morning on NSD and don't hold a ceremony, so if these kids were able to do it year in and year out without all of the fanfare, then there is nothing stopping David Marshall from doing the same. Given the actions David Marshall has already taken, he, of all people, should be the one to show the most restraint on NSD.

I certainly understand the inclination to look at it that way. And there's no question that Marshall could have handled his recruitment better.

I suppose my ultimate perspective is that nobody knows why he has carried on like he has, so why assume the worst, especially when it's a kid who might sack a bammer quarterback while wearing the O&B one day.

^Oh, and thanks for recognizing that your post was merely a trigger for- and not the target of- another rambling rant from me on the topic.

Ummm, you're welcome? :)

^Oh, and thanks for recognizing that your post was merely a trigger for- and not the target of- another rambling rant from me on the topic.

Most of us only worry about it when you go on a focused rant, which is rare.

;)

Most of us only worry about it when you go on a focused rant, which is rare.

;)

Point conceded!

I don't have a preference on this issue either way, but for the record little nick did not pull foster's offer after his antics. trust the coaches -- that is what they get paid for.

until they sign the LOI, these guys have (most) of control (especially the elite players). no matter where they sign they will not be nearly as full of crap come fall.

Things seem quiet on the Marshall front ... too quiet.

If he goes to Athens this weekend things on the Marshall front will get so quiet around here that you'll be able to hear the mouse that's built a nest in in your summer PJ's when she snores.

In the end, he will sign with us. I checked the Docometer, ( my official scientifically devised complex in nature device)and it comes up with Marshall 9 out of 10 times coming to Auburn. I stand almost firm with this kid for sure. If he sees my post, he will turn his heart to Auburn, and that's the story.

In the end, he will sign with us. I checked the Docometer, ( my official scientifically devised complex in nature device)and it comes up with Marshall 9 out of 10 times coming to Auburn. I stand almost firm with this kid for sure. If he sees my post, he will turn his heart to Auburn, and that's the story.

Doc, you are a strong one. Hope ur feeling Ok now. Many of us are thinking about you.

Wow...kid is announcing on NSD on TV at 3:00. Really??? He's a 3 star DL acting like he's all world...I guess after listening to Garner.

And I assume there's a reason for him being a 3 star. Maybe it's his 5.21 in the 40.

Wow...kid is announcing on NSD on TV at 3:00. Really??? He's a 3 star DL acting like he's all world...I guess after listening to Garner.

And I assume there's a reason for him being a 3 star. Maybe it's his 5.21 in the 40.

Garner doesn't see him as a 3*. That's why AU is still pushing.

Why do you care?

I really hate to say this. But if this were an Alabama recruit, they would have ditched him or he wouldn't be doing this twice.

I'm glad we put our foot down on an UGA visit but kids want to play and we need to give them something to play for. We need to get back to winning consistently to not let this continually happen. I hope he makes the right decision and turns out to be a good one for the good guys

Archived