2013 4* S Tray Matthews (Georgia signee & transferred to AU)

Rednilla

Now that there is one more safety on our roster for the next 4 years, three seasons, I hope our safety recruits remain steadfast in their commitments.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many years does Tray have left to play college ball?

3 to play 3 starting in 2015 if he walks on or on immediate scholly if Richt released him to AU.

2 to play 2 starting in 2016 if on scholly immediately without a release from Richt to AU

Good timimg on my part seeing your new thread just as you posted it. COngrats to Tray! I wish him all the luck in hte world and I hope he has a grea amount of success. Now the next question is, can he play next year or will he have to sit out a year?

Of course he has to sit out a year. The ONLY way he wouldn't would be a hardship waiver and this is not a hardship waiver case in the least. This is the biggest reason why its a win/win for both sides. He has to sit a year meaning he's got a year to do what the coaching staff asks of him and prove to the staff he wants to be here and do things the right way. Beginning in 2015 he'll have 3 years of eligibility left. If he does that, then he can certainly help us in 2015 and beyond. If he's a dummy (again) then he'll be gone and Auburn won't lose anything since he won't be on scholarship anyway. It's a chance to help the kid get back in line and it can benefit both sides if he's willing to do what is asked of him.

Very well put and its just that simple.

Man is this going to make UGA mad. Good.

Went over to a Georgia board to see what they were saying about the situation. Reminded me why I hate Thuga fans almost as much as bammers

What is the status of the criminal case against him at this time?

Nevermind my question, it appears the charges are going to be dropped in the near future once he completes some community service.

How many years does Tray have left to play college ball?

3 to play 3 starting in 2015 if he walks on or on immediate scholly if Richt released him to AU.

2 to play 2 starting in 2016 if on scholly immediately without a release from Richt to AU

Have to say... a guy would have to be pretty cold-hearted to kick someone off the team and then deny them a year by refusing to release them.

I do think it is very significant that Tray choose to come to AU instead of following all the other GA transfers to Louisville. To me it shows he just does not want to continue on the path of everyone else, which got him in some trouble, but he want to make his own path in a new direction. Pretty cool!

Whole hearted agreement!! Welcome home Tray!!

Have to say... a guy would have to be pretty cold-hearted to kick someone off the team and then deny them a year by refusing to release them.

Not really. He would be releasing the player to his biggest Rival, whom they play every year. That would be a huge PR blow with Richt to the UGA fanbase. If Tray were to come in on scholly I would be surprised if Richt gave the release to AU.

Not really. He would be releasing the player to his biggest Rival, whom they play every year. That would be a huge PR blow with Richt to the UGA fanbase. If Tray were to come in on scholly I would be surprised if Richt gave the release to AU.

So if a coach kicks a player off the team, they still control the players "destiny". That seems oxymoronic to me.

So if a coach kicks a player off the team, they still control the players "destiny". That seems oxymoronic to me.

Kicking a player off the team and releasing him to certain schools to only have to sit 1 year instead of 2 if the player were to go on scholly in year 1 are completely different things. Even kicked off, the original school still has the right to deny the player from playing the first 2 years if he goes on scholly with the new school before year 1 at the new school is completed.

Kicking a player off the team and releasing him to certain schools to only have to sit 1 year instead of 2 if the player were to go on scholly in year 1 are completely different things. Even kicked off, the original school still has the right to deny the player from playing the first 2 years if he goes on scholly with the new school before year 1 at the new school is completed.

Idiotic things like this are part of why the NCAA is in so much trouble.

Thanks for the info, to me it just seems weird that if a coach kicks a player off the team, they should also lose the right to "release" them... I guess it is the same thing....

If I was a coach, and I got to the point of kicking a player off my team, I wouldn't care so much where the player went... But I guess I now see how it is potentially protect the program.. From kids "wanting" to get kicked off a team just to transfer somewhere else. That could open a big ole can.

Thanks for the info, to me it just seems weird that if a coach kicks a player off the team, they should also lose the right to "release" them... I guess it is the same thing....

If I was a coach, and I got to the point of kicking a player off my team, I wouldn't care so much where the player went... But I guess I now see how it is potentially protect the program.. From kids "wanting" to get kicked off a team just to transfer somewhere else. That could open a big ole can.

...you might be on to something here

This guy has NFL potential. Wish we would have gotten him a few years ago. He could be all SEC in the coming years.

You know what? If I were a UGA fan I would be tired of ex UGA players playing against UGA lol. On the briht side. 3 of the 4 players involved in the immaculate deflection are at AU now.

If he does come to auburn, I can only imagine what his first meeting with ricardo will be like :P

Archived