2013 4* S Tray Matthews (Georgia signee & transferred to AU)

Rednilla

The divide between Safety and LB is shrinking everyday. A premium is placed on speed/size/ability/Football IQ, almost in that order. How they develop physically once they arrive will determine position on the field.

I would be shocked if Tray and Enrique don't both play at AU, ATP.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would prefer Trigga Trey go to juco and prove that he can mature and not be a total doofus both on and off of the field before we give him a shot. That method worked out OK for us with Cam and Nick.

wde

I can get on board with this. How does/would this affect our standing with some of the recruits we have on board that play the same position? They will only be 1 year behind Matthews. Is it far fetched to expect one or more to flip?

*I'm not that versed in which DB commits we have and who would play the same position as Matthews, but if I'm not mistaken we have 2, correct? Could this also alter Stephen Davis, Jr's decision?

1.It won't. 2. yes. Tray could play Safety or Star. We were taking 2 or 3 at each position anyway. He just likely fills one of them bout and the staff may take 1 less high school kid than they planned. 3. No. Even though Davis plays safety in high school he can easily be an LB in college.

Agreed. I think Davis will be coming to AU because he already loves the school and feels a part of the family now. His dad is an AU legend.

Pretty sweet.

Davis as a Sophomore is already 6'3" and over 190 pds. He will end up either being a huge safety, or good sized star or LB. I think he is very athletic from watching his highlights. He has the potential to be a real impact player.

I would prefer Trigga Trey go to juco and prove that he can mature and not be a total doofus both on and off of the field before we give him a shot. That method worked out OK for us with Cam and Nick.

wde

No need to go to JUCO. He has to sit out a year anyway. He can be at Auburn and prove he's not a doofus off the field (which is where his problems were at UGA) over the next year.

wde

I'll never understand why some of you say you'd turn away a great talent because maybe he needs to mature. Bunch of Gene Chiziks on here. You take the kid, give him a chance, if he screws up, boot him.

I can get on board with this. How does/would this affect our standing with some of the recruits we have on board that play the same position? They will only be 1 year behind Matthews. Is it far fetched to expect one or more to flip?

*I'm not that versed in which DB commits we have and who would play the same position as Matthews, but if I'm not mistaken we have 2, correct? Could this also alter Stephen Davis, Jr's decision?

I don't think it affects his decision…He's a 2016 recruit and Whitehead, Mincy, Therezie, King will be gone and Moncrief, Turner, and Holsey will be seniors by that point. Matthews could be an impact player right away next year with those guys leaving. Could be the star position with the way he hits. Much rather have him on our team that UGA, if he plays it straight.

wde

I'll never understand why some of you say you'd turn away a great talent because maybe he needs to mature. Bunch of Gene Chiziks on here. You take the kid, give him a chance, if he screws up, boot him.

LOL, Gene Chizik had more immature screwups on our football team than just about any coach in history. He is a VERY poor way to try to make your point.

wde

Wouldn't Gene Chizik's discipline issues be the BEST way to prove the inverse of Milnewd's point? From the looks of it, Chizik let lots of talented guys attempt to mature at Auburn, even if they were running wild. Chizik would definitely have taken Matthews and let him figure it out at Auburn. Passing on a guy due to character concerns is closer to a Tuberville than a Chizik.

Gene Chizik is responsible for bringing Cam Newton to Auburn. He also piloted a ship that had to sail through choppy waters and won us our first national championship in 53 years. No Chizik=no NC in 2010. Some of you seem to have forgotten that.

Gene Chizik is responsible for bringing Cam Newton to Auburn. He also piloted a ship that had to sail through choppy waters and won us our first national championship in 53 years. No Chizik=no NC in 2010. Some of you seem to have forgotten that.

Also No Chizik= No Malzahn. no telling Where Malzahn would be if it wasnt for Chizik

Gene was the head coach that did not initially want Cam. Gus talked him into taking him. It took a lot of persuading by Gus to get Chizik to take him, and than goodness he did. But Chizik does get props from me for his handling of the entire team during the season. He did a remarkable job.

No Malian also no championship. And actually no luper or trooper no championship because those Texas ties of them actually going to look at a wr at blinn would mean no cam cam as well

I haven't forgotten. I thank Gene for his time and for finishing the job that Tuberville and Bowden never got the chance to finish. Without Terry, there's no 20-game win streak, but that doesn't stop me from also discussing the disaster he brought on and left behind. You can remember Chizik positively for the great work he did in 2009 and 2010, but that good work doesn't erase the horrible work he did in 2011 and 2012. He was the perfect coach for the 2010 team. He was the worst coach possible for handling that success while building the program. He was both.

He was both, but I side on the great man he is and the great recruiting he did. He is just not HC material. He may land another DC job and will excel at it. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

I don't think an announcement will be made. We will know when TM is enrolled. jMO

A formal announcement by Gus is expected at some point FWIW.

Gene Chizik is responsible for bringing Cam Newton to Auburn.

Yes Gene gets paper credit for bringing Cam in as he had the final say as HC, but realistic credit goes to Gus. He had to beg and plead Gene to even look at Cam then later to take Cam. A juco QB was never in Gene's plans no matter how good that guy is. You can give Gene paper recognition but Cam never happens without Gus.

Once again cam doesn't happen without Luper he should get as much if not more credit than Gus

Hope this kid comes to AU and under good supervision, overcomes his past problems, and becomes a future star at AU. He has the talent, now does he have the capacity to learn from his mistakes?

Contrary to what some think, giving someone a second chance and watching them become model citizens and AU men and women is not a bad thing. In reality, it is a very good thing and actually increases the image at AU. However, if you think Gus is going to tolerate bad behavior, well it is obvious you have not been following Gus' career very closely.

All of us make mistakes. If we were not given second chances, where would we be? Some of us may not have gotten caught, but we have all been guilty of doing STUPID THINGS, especially in our youth.

You can bet Matthews will be told EXPLICITLY what will be expected of him and he will have to live up to the requirements or ELSE!

That being said, I will take as many Cam Newtons and Nick Marshalls as we can get; -- on or off the field. Both got the second chance and both made really good use of their second chances.

Oxford Tiger, you need to go and try to find a team with all Jesuses on them. Last time I looked, that was the only human who was not guilty of sin. Glad you fit into that category, but most of us do not. Need to work on your stone throwing though. You might find that he that would have been justified throwing the stones, actually refused to do so.

WDE!

Bikerider, although I agree with you, I just soon Oxford does not post here anymore. I do not really want to give him any additional reason to post the crap he posts. Players, player families and recruits look at this site. His posts go past what I feel are the right thing to do on a public forum.

He has been banned....

I see some of you don't believe in giving second chances.... :poke:

He was both, but I side on the great man he is and the great recruiting he did. He is just not HC material. He may land another DC job and will excel at it. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Chiz definitely elevated our recruiting. It was the sudden rise to a top-5 recruiting class his first full year that got the message board conspiracy theorists speculating about how we accomplished the sudden turnaround. Plenty of them will never believe it wasn't because we cheated, no matter how many proclamations the NCAA makes.

Half attitude , half effort from Chizik. He always said .....why not Auburn ? When Tubs was hungry and INVOLVED we reeled in Caddy & Ronnie Brown (TN thought they had both)' Aroumashodo (Dad wanted him to go to FL), Obamanu (50/50 b/w AU vs Bama), Mix, C. Taylor and many more. Dye had great success before the recruiting rags were around. Most state named universities have a built in advantage , especially if a recruit's parents did not go to college. Auburn has plenty to offer and should not take a back seat to anyone.

War Damn Eagle !

Archived