Note on Malzahn Offense

StatTiger

I think CGMs third down conversion rates in 2010 and 2013 were superb. Don't have the numbers but if you don't leave the field the team piles up yards, points and gives the defense a rest.

Little doc

I think CGMs third down conversion rates in 2010 and 2013 were superb. Don't have the numbers but if you don't leave the field the team piles up yards, points and gives the defense a rest.

Little doc

True. I don't know about 2013 but I remember in 2010, facing 3rd and 6 or 7, always feeling that Auburn would make that. It was an unusual feeling, one that I enjoyd greatly.

Now if the D will step up, and that HAS to happen if Auburn is to continue to improve. There are some critical areas in our D that desperatelty needs improving if we are to remain among the elite. Consistent 3 and outs would be wonderful to see from this team. But, if that isn't possible, then stopping those short, underneath, passes is critical. Our inability to stop those allowed GA to get back in the game and allowed FSU to win last season.

Little doc

True. I don't know about 2013 but I remember in 2010, facing 3rd and 6 or 7, always feeling that Auburn would make that. It was an unusual feeling, one that I enjoyd greatly.

Now if the D will step up, and that HAS to happen if Auburn is to continue to improve. There are some critical areas in our D that desperatelty needs improving if we are to remain among the elite. Consistent 3 and outs would be wonderful to see from this team. But, if that isn't possible, then stopping those short, underneath, passes is critical. Our inability to stop those allowed GA to get back in the game and allowed FSU to win last season.

I think our defense is much more likely to be an aggressive attacking defense that forces a lot of negative plays and turnovers than consistent 3 and outs. Just from what my understanding is of Ellis Johnson defenses in the past

Some say that they will figure Gus' offense out this season. Now that is just plain funny and foolish for teams to think this way. When they face us in 2014, they will no longer say or think this way. It will be fun to see teams scratching their heads at halftime trying to figure out how to come back when they find themselves in the hole by 20 or more points. I believe that our defense will much improved and will be ready to make teams dread facing us.

There's nothing for anybody to "figure out".

The O system we use is the primo sports car, it will go fast even with a halfwit behind he wheel. Bu Malzahn's driving is the subjective skill, judgment and brilliance that make it freakish. It's his JUDGMENT of what to put in & when based on 10 kazillion possible game situations at a given moment. Figure out the wishbone, the spread, the fun & gun, the hurry up, blah, blah, blah. Gus & Rhett drive the vehicle.

Some say that they will figure Gus' offense out this season. Now that is just plain funny and foolish for teams to think this way. When they face us in 2014, they will no longer say or think this way.

This by chance wouldn't happen to be the notorious they who have been spouting off the rinse-wash-repeat spiel every season Malzahn has roamed the Auburn sidelines?

Archived