Duke & Sammie

WFE12

man...i think sammie's gonna do something BIG in the game, first game he didn't do much, but i think from everybody talking about duke and him having a subpar performance he's due for a 100+ yard game...don't think he's jealous of duke but the attention he's had could have lit a fire under him..He needs to show everybody why he's known as one of the "Freaks of College football" Would love to see Sammie and Duke show up their wr's...Lockett? psh!!!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, if the first two games are any indication, I would say not only is Duke absolutely more likely than Sammie to go pro early, he is the more ready of the two to do so. Coates is a burner with great length (I would be less surprised for him to run a sub-4.3 40 in the combine than I would for him to run it in more than 4.4), and I agree that even with an average year, he would go in the first four rounds...but Duke truly does have that 'it' factor. He's not as fast as Sammie, but it's not by a whole lot, and he uses his size and jumping ability to shield defenders and get to the ball better than Coates, IMO. Both will benefit from the other's presence, however, not to mention the rest of the receiving corps.

Personally, I believe that Malzahn still has a great deal up his sleeves regarding the passing game. I think Marshall has become a better passer than his numbers would show, and that Gus has been limiting his passing opportunities specifically to mask those improvements; I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Nick still ends up with 2,500 yards passing.

As for the prospect of losing both of our top receivers early, I'm not particularly concerned. Melvin Ray has finally started to shake off the rust from playing minor league baseball for three years, becoming an imposing threat in his own right; Marcus Davis has continued to show his ability to consistently make the catch and pick up yards after doing so; Ricardo Louis provides another big, physical (as well as veteran) presence with speed; Tony Stevens is a speed demon with good height who could easily fill any void left by Coates, should Sammie go early...and then you get to Stanton Truitt and Jason Smith, both of whom have plenty of potential in their own right, not to mention Dominic Walker and Myron Burton, who each have the size to be, at the very least, competent possession receivers and good downfield blockers.

Also, if Williams and Coates do, in fact, go pro early, I'd guess their departure would only make it that much more likely to lure another big time receiver or two to the Plains, both because of the potential playing time and because of the presence of Jeremy Johnson, which will almost assuredly point to an offense geared more toward passing.

At the end of the day, I fully expect Duke to be a one and done player, primarily because he wants to get to the League as soon as possible. Sammie is one I'm less certain of, not because he wouldn't be drafted, but because it depends upon the year he has as to whether it would benefit him to stick around for another year of development; that's important not just because of his draft prospects, but also for his ability to garner a second contract, for if he goes too early then he runs the risk of having the team that drafts him give up too quickly and thus never being able to fully develop. Plus, if he does come back, he will likely see a lot more passes thrown his way next season with JJ taking the helm at QB. :dunno:

you know i try not to bash players especially ours so im just gonna say this...Sammie might just have a case of the butter fingers,serious business guys, hope he resolves it by oct.4

you know i try not to bash players especially ours

Then don't.

It's that simple.

and I Don't do it and don't plan on it but sure enough others will

Sammie will be a combine freak and will get drafted in rd 1 or 2 from his combine numbers alone. At this stage we have nothing to evaluate Duke on other than A-day and something he said in the past. I have no idea about his motivations, but I hope he has a good enough year to go pro early, because that means he helped us win games.

Love to see our guys play on Sundays.

Sammie will NOT get drafted this year if he can't catch the football. All the Instagram videos and weight lifting tweets are cool, but his job is to catch the football. If he's trying to a cool workout warrior then maybe he can coach a crossfit class when he graduates.

I fully expected Dook to go first round! Dook is slower and weaker than Sammie, but last time I

checked CATCHING the ball is pretty important for a WR.

Sammie will be a combine freak and will get drafted in rd 1 or 2 from his combine numbers alone. At this stage we have nothing to evaluate Duke on other than A-day and something he said in the past. I have no idea about his motivations, but I hope he has a good enough year to go pro early, because that means he helped us win games.

Love to see our guys play on Sundays.

Sammie will NOT get drafted this year if he can't catch the football. All the Instagram videos and weight lifting tweets are cool, but his job is to catch the football. If he's trying to a cool workout warrior then maybe he can coach a crossfit class when he graduates.

I fully expected Dook to go first round! Dook is slower and weaker than Sammie, but last time I

checked CATCHING the ball is pretty important for a WR.

Basically agree here....Sammie still not a reliable receiver and has lots of room for improvement as a WR before NFL drafts him unless he just wants to sign somewhere as a free agent. Right now it seems best for him to play his four seasons and work on his skills. Speed and strength are not enough in the NFL.

Duke is an ideal possession receiver, willing to take the hit to catch the ball....NFL material ...looking more an more like a "one and done".

Idk what's wrong with Sammie this year. I had big hopes for him coming into the season. Thank God we have Duke!

I think they both have a lot of room for improvement and NFL scouts will tell them they both need another year, unless there is some very dramatic improvement the rest of the year. From what we have seen so far, I don't think either one would be drafted in the first 5 rounds. Too inconsistent.

I think they both have a lot of room for improvement and NFL scouts will tell them they both need another year, unless there is some very dramatic improvement the rest of the year. From what we have seen so far, I don't think either one would be drafted in the first 5 rounds. Too inconsistent.

Hahahahhahahahahahahhahahahah. You don't think Dook would go in the first 5 rounds? You are a funny guy!!! Thanks for the laugh bruh!

I said previously that both would got top 2 rounds. I still say Duke is a 1st-2nd rounder- I'm not sure what dramatic improvement you're looking for from him- but Sammie isn't showing much ability around the ball. He could've made such a stronger play on that early bomb that many are labeling an overthrow. The drops don't worry me as much, as even the best do it sometimes (as Duke showed last night).

Sammie had a couple really bad drops, but it was clear to me we weren't watching a healthy player. He will get it together. I still think he gets close to 1K yards and he and Duke are gone at the end of the year. He was actually closer than most think to declaring last year. He wants to be in the league.

I said previously that both would got top 2 rounds. I still say Duke is a 1st-2nd rounder- I'm not sure what dramatic improvement you're looking for from him- but Sammie isn't showing much ability around the ball. He could've made such a stronger play on that early bomb that many are labeling an overthrow. The drops don't worry me as much, as even the best do it sometimes (as Duke showed last night).

Sammie is still nursing that sore hamstring. I don't think he was full speed last night. I still wonder where Melvin Ray was.

Sammie dropped a pass and duke dropped one that was a touchdown. Sammie caught a big pass on the next play on a third down. Duke caught big passes later in the game as well. You guys are all over Sammie and praising duke. Sammie playing with a bad hamstring still getting behind defenses. Anybody else playing hurt you guys talking about how selfless a guy is and how he's a warrior......I tell you I don't know how it happened but he's the new player the fan base loves to hate lol

Hamstrings have no effect on catching easy passes that hit you in the hands.

Also, when was the last time AU had a WR have 2 very productive seasons back to back? Darvin Adams maybe? Other than that, though? Always seems a WR will have a great year, only to fall off the next year.

what's the improvement that needs to be made for duke?

Also, when was the last time AU had a WR have 2 very productive seasons back to back? Darvin Adams maybe? Other than that, though? Always seems a WR will have a great year, only to fall off the next year.

I feel bad for Emory Blake. I think he could have been that guy if the entire program hadn't derailed for the 2nd half of his career.

Big deal he dropped one pass that would have been a 5 yard gain caught the pass the very next play and made a first down. Duke dropped a pass too but I haven't seen any hate his way.

Lastly a hamstring would have something to do with an overthrow from the qb that people blame the wr for anyway because it's the in thing to do now.

Coates is the new Neiko Thorpe. I remember people would complain about him so much that they would blame him and it would be another player

Archived